Forthcoming Classical New Recordings (not reissues)

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some high calibre advocacy for Gerhard:

BIG.JPG

Most interesting and worth checking out! I own several Gerhard CDs, including a couple from the "Roberto Gerhard" series on the defunct Auvidis Montaigne label (for a moment I thought this Aeon disc was a re-issue of an old Montagne, for whom the Ardittis were practically the "house quartet"...).

Well, it is pretty hard to just keep up with forthcoming CDs, since after some time, the ones in the thread will just be new and not forthcoming. I also don't follow classical enough to be on lists where I get up and coming releases. Thus, I'm going to bend the rules a bit (i.e cheat) and consider CDs less than 1 year old as well.

This one was pretty interesting: Orango by Shostokovich conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen.

esa-pekka-salonen-shostakovich-prologue-to-orango-symphony-no-4.jpg

51XZy8B1ArL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I know nothing about this composer or the label (which is Finnish and has been around around 20 years). Just noticed this recording in a Gramophone advert (oh the power of advertising) and liked the cover!

Sometimes it's good to just jump in and see (no danger then of being swayed by orthodox critical opinion) - that's what a lot of my early listening was like. The only evidence I have of the music is a company review (in translation, making its claims sound even stranger!) which makes a contemporary with Ravel reference.

Well, it is pretty hard to just keep up with forthcoming CDs, since after some time, the ones in the thread will just be new and not forthcoming. I also don't follow classical enough to be on lists where I get up and coming releases. Thus, I'm going to bend the rules a bit (i.e cheat) and consider CDs less than 1 year old as well.

This one was pretty interesting: Orango by Shostokovich conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen.

esa-pekka-salonen-shostakovich-prologue-to-orango-symphony-no-4.jpg

I don't know Orango, but Shosty 4 is pretty amazing. The one that got him into hot water with the authorities. Very Mahlerian.

On a completely unrelated note, BBC Radio 3's CD Review programme this morning compared two recent Leningrads - one by Gergeiv (which got a thumbs down) and one by Nelsons (big thumbs up). I don't need another Leningrad (my Haitink from the 80s suits me fine) but it was good to hear the symphony itself getting such a spirited defence, especially the two central movements. It's always been a favourite of mine.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The Gergiev is very original and striking but wouldn't make the 'recommended version' category I suppose. I aim to hear the Nelsons in due course - looks like a fast one like the Jarvi. I always like to hear different versions of works I care about in any way. I'd rather listen to five versions twice each than one version ten times.

Of the Gergiev Leningrads I prefer the one with LSO which I heard and which I have on tape. The earlier Mariinsky/Rotterdam is probably more mainstream. The new one milks the slow movements for all or really more than they are worth, but is notable and thought-provoking, and in the right mood effective.

Never heard of Alba or Pohjola. Like Finnish things. Just got back from working there this week... :)

Edited by David Ayers

The Gergiev is very original and striking but wouldn't make the 'recommended version' category I suppose. I aim to hear the Nelsons in due course - looks like a fast one like the Jarvi. I always like to hear different versions of works I care about in any way. I'd rather listen to five versions twice each than one version ten times.

Never heard of Alba or Pohjola. Like Finnish things. Just got back from working there this week... :)

I'm happy to hear a piece in umpteen different versions - radio, concert etc. But I never feel the need to own more than one (in most cases) or two (where I'm looking for a more modern version).

Finland intrigues me - partly because Sibelius was what grabbed me in classical music in the beginning and I've found its contemporary classical music varied and interesting; but also because it has a fabulous folk tradition. Sweden and Finland tend to dominate that part of the world in folky terms. I envy your visit to Finland - somewhere I'd love to visit.

I always like to hear different versions of works I care about in any way. I'd rather listen to five versions twice each than one version ten times.

I do try to listen to different versions, but I am starting to wonder about how many versions do I need to own. Generally, one or two is sufficient, though with the rise of the mega box sets, I do have close to a dozen versions of Dvorak #9 and probably even more of Beethoven #5.

Sadly, Spotify and most of the other streaming services still haven't made it up here to Canada. Which means I often have to take the plunge and buy a CD if I want to listen to a different conductor's interpretation. The library does have access to the Naxos library and I am starting to indulge in that a bit more seriously.

For myself, I just think, if there's something I would like, why miss out? It only costs a few quid to access it which is neither here nor there. But mainly I think that I want orchestras to be programming these works, I want orchestras to continue to thrive, and buying recordings is a way of supporting that, albeit economically a minor one in comparison to concert attendance. I don't duplicate repertoire which no longer strongly interests me, and I don't go back and buy old recordings, which I guess makes my method different from that of many.

• 4 weeks later...

61fPATU8BsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've had the Chandos recording of the concerto since the 80s which suffers from the 'aircraft hanger' sound of Chandos at that time. Also a Lyrita version. Might well go for this as a modern version (thereby contradicting my one recording is quite enough puritanism!). Lovely couplings too - highly recommended for those with a taste for English cowpat. And with spring just the other side of the current blizzard, should be perfect.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Due in the next month:

0825646362035_M.jpg

Philippe Jaroussky (countertenor), Raquel Andueza (soprano), Vincenzo Capezzuto (alto), Dominique Visse (countertenor), Gianluigi Trovesi (clarinet) & Wolfgang Muthspiel (acoustic guitar & electric guitar) L’Arpeggiata, Christina Pluhar
Interesting musician list. Definitely not for the HIP.

Due in the next month:

0825646362035_M.jpg

Philippe Jaroussky (countertenor), Raquel Andueza (soprano), Vincenzo Capezzuto (alto), Dominique Visse (countertenor), Gianluigi Trovesi (clarinet) & Wolfgang Muthspiel (acoustic guitar & electric guitar) L’Arpeggiata, Christina Pluhar
Interesting musician list. Definitely not for the HIP.

I am in!

• 3 weeks later...