Kenny Burrell

Milestones

Got some Craig Taborn with James Carter, which I don't get into much actually. Got some sessions with Ed Schuller. It's always possible to check out the musicians you so breathlessly enthuse for though. Did you run home from the gig to post this :D?

And what do you mean by 'is made purely for the music's sake'? What other sakes are in play when this is not the case?

And of course the experience of the music occurs when there is anyone there or not. I'm sure most musicians would attest to some of the most rewarding experiences as being in the communion of other players in private settings...so sure if Anthony Braxton is in the forest, it's still music. We can even listen to his solo saxophone recordings and add some wolf calls (or in my case Dingo barks) to create a kind of mis en scene. But yeah, I would be dishonest if I didn't say I was a teency bit jealous of you being there in the Big Apple and having all this history being made right in front of you.

Give us all some Youtube links maybe, if that doesn't corrupt the integrity of your 'live' communion :D

Try this.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some Craig Taborn with James Carter, which I don't get into much actually. Got some sessions with Ed Schuller. It's always possible to check out the musicians you so breathlessly enthuse for though. Did you run home from the gig to post this :D?

And what do you mean by 'is made purely for the music's sake'? What other sakes are in play when this is not the case?

And of course the experience of the music occurs when there is anyone there or not. I'm sure most musicians would attest to some of the most rewarding experiences as being in the communion of other players in private settings...so sure if Anthony Braxton is in the forest, it's still music. We can even listen to his solo saxophone recordings and add some wolf calls (or in my case Dingo barks) to create a kind of mis en scene. But yeah, I would be dishonest if I didn't say I was a teency bit jealous of you being there in the Big Apple and having all this history being made right in front of you.

Give us all some Youtube links maybe, if that doesn't corrupt the integrity of your 'live' communion :D

Try this.

Thanks. That's very compact and user friendly.

Just compared a few.

PLEASE look for the Don Mount videos.

MUCH better quality.

Also Look for Ivo Perelman trio with the wonderous Michael Bisio on bass.

Ivo is a bit of a screamer on tenor but he melds that power with a great sense of melody. One can hear his roots in his crying improvisations.

One of the great tenors of the past 20 years as is Dunmall

Just compared a few.

PLEASE look for the Don Mount videos.

MUCH better quality.

Also Look for Ivo Perelman trio with the wonderous Michael Bisio on bass.

Ivo is a bit of a screamer on tenor but he melds that power with a great sense of melody. One can hear his roots in his crying improvisations.

One of the great tenors of the past 20 years as is Dunmall

Good to know.

• 1 year later...

You guys are all Chicken Little's. There is a/or several Jazz Music Dept.(s), in virtually every city, in every country, in Christendom.

Turning out scrupulously trained musicians. As long as that keeps happening (and it will), there will always be Jazz.

No; there'll always be neo-jazz.

MG

So what is the cutoff year for "real jazz" then? If all new musicians play "neo-jazz" then that means at some point the original version ceased to exist and has been replaced by a facsimile. What year did that happen out of curiosity?

1994 :g

OK, a word of explanation. When creative jazz ceases to command the enthusiasm of youth in the ghetto, the supply of talent dries up. Not that white musicians can't or haven't made fine contributions to the development of jazz, but the thrust has always come from the ghetto. Without that thrust the music is something else. The extent to which creative jazz engages the enthusiasm of young people in the ghetto can be seen in the jazz albums that make the R&B album charts. So, this little lot made the R&B charts in 1994.

Kenny G - Miracles: the holiday album

Us 3 - Hand on the torch

Al Jarreau - Tenderness

David Sanborn - Hear say

David Benoit & Russ Freeman - Benoit/Freeman project

Norman Brown - After the storm

Gerald Albright - Smooth

Najee - Share my world

Bob James - Restless

George Howard - A home far awy

Paul Hardcastle - Harcastle

Russ Freeman - Sahara

Diane Reeves - Art & survival

Everett Harp - Common ground

Incognito - Positivity

Jonathan Butler - Head to head

Miki Howard - Miki sings Billie

Nancy Wilson - Love Nancy

Phil Perry - Pure pleasure

Tom Scott - Reed my lips

MG

Revisiting... but why are you so sure these recordings were engaging "young people"?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, robertoart said:

Someone has just posted audio of Kenny Burrell from the half note and what appears to be audio of the WGBH Boston TV taping from 1966

The "Boston TV" videos are from June 1966. I know that WGBH-TV (among others) aired Kenny Burrell in the Trumpet and Guitar Workshop at Newport Jazz Fest (early July 1966), produced by N.E.T. (Jazz at Newport), but that's all I know. However, I don't know squat.

Edited by bluenoter

The unidentified tune in the first Half Note video is "Mark I", which he recorded for Prestige in 1964.

Boston #1 is of course "Midnight Blue".

Boston #2 is not recognizable to me.

The photos used in these videos are much later than the dates of the recordings.

• 3 months later...