How many folks here have met Miles Davis?

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw him at the airport in Geneva walking through with his entourage. I was jet lagged, but Miles was pretty easy to spot. I'm pretty sure that was after the revival of the Gil Evans material with Gil and Wallace Roney. I would never have dared approach him. Even then, I knew a little something about his rep.

gregmo

OK, I never met him, but I'll share a friend's story. During a break at a club gig, my friend followed Miles into the men's room to ask for his autograph. He found Miles in a stall having intercourse with some young woman. That was awkward, but he got the autograph.

I guess that's better than the story this chick I knew told of Miles trying to bf her boyfriend(a pianist) at the time, at a party.

i don't know how reliable her stories were; she claimed to be there when Lee Morgan was shot, had screwed Carlos Santana and Duane Allman, etc...

I guess that's better than the story this chick I knew told of Miles trying to bf her boyfriend(a pianist) at the time, at a party.

i don't know how reliable her stories were; she claimed to be there when Lee Morgan was shot, had screwed Carlos Santana and Duane Allman, etc...

That's the kind of chick you try not to run into until the sun is shining...

OK, I never met him, but I'll share a friend's story. During a break at a club gig, my friend followed Miles into the men's room to ask for his autograph. He found Miles in a stall having intercourse with some young woman. That was awkward, but he got the autograph.

Are you sure it was a woman in that men's room?

That's the kind of chick you try not to run into until the sun is shining...

I'm lucky i made it out of that one alive- the pianist wasn't as lucky; I read his obit. in DB.

The last time I saw her, she was on the hood of my car, trying to kick my windshield in. :shrug[1]:

• 2 months later...

it was 1986 and i was living in a tiny town in northern florida where miles came through to play a lovely small theather built in 1925 restored to its full glory, that held 2,250. being a kid and still somewhat new to jazz, i knew i couldn't miss the performance even though i remember it costing at least twice what the going ticket rate was (maybe it was $50.00 and the average price being around $25.00 or so). i wasn't even into what he was playing, realizing even then what a shadow of his former self he'd become. anywhow, as i knew where the backstage door was from meeting musicians at prior gigs, i took my copy of 'tutu' around back and waited for miles to shuffle out in all his sartorial excess. looking quite the odd man out, i introduced myself and he seemed to take pity on this scrawny white kid and gave me a slight grin and shook my hand after scrawling that indelible 'miles' across the irving penn photo before i could ask him inscribe it to me. i remember getting the strangest vibe from him.

I'm pretty sure it was 1965, I was 15. My neighbor, Mr. Velez, said he was friends with Miles, and that he was coming to Basin St. West on Broadway in SF and did I want to go. Of course I said yes. I thought it was fascinating that Miles would play the head and then walk off the stage, mingle with the audience and then arrive back at the mike just in time to re-play the head. What was more fascinating to this teenager was when Mr. Velez and I went to Miles' dressing room after the show and his wife Francis was there. The sexiest woman I had ever seen up until that time. She had on a Chifon, almost see through dress. Very provocative for 1965. I remember Miles in that raspy voice of his said to Francis; "go put some clothes on". A memorable night indeed for this awestruck teenager. I had the LP Seven Steps To Heaven autographed by Miles, Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams. I may have told this story before, don't remember.........

unfortunately, i met Miles many times during the '60s. never a pleasant experience. a woman i knew sued him after he attacked her and held her against her will. he settled out of court. i still have a copy of a letter she wrote to the editor of Vanity Fair referring to the incident after they ran an interview with him.

and eerily, i was next door to him in a doctor's office when he died in a Santa Monica hospital!

When I listen to music, the musicians don't have to be saints or even nice people. I'm not concerned with all that non musical stuff.........

Saturday night, the night they recorded him at the Fillmore East, 1970. It was intermission in the lobby; I was with Joel Perry (a very fine guitarist) and all of a sudden he said 'look' - Miles was standing right next to me. "Talk to him," but geez, I was 16. I do remember he was wearing an outfit that looked like a Persian rug.