Kevin Ayers, RIP

Teasing the Korean

Sad to read that.

His first 4 records + the first Soft Machine album were formative influences. Strong song writing, a very personal approach to vocals and a willingness to go in odd directions.

I was at the famous June 1st concert in 1975 that became a record; also a Hyde Park free gig that year (my abiding memory being walking away as he did his encores - he finished with the ultimate unromantic love song with a refrain of 'But I've got a hard-on for you, babe'. Don't think he ever recorded it!)

R.I.P.

Or perhaps...

'Thank You...Very...MUCH!'

I saw him with the Whole World at the Roundhouse in London. Their version of "Why are we Sleeping" was unbelievable and pretty much changed my life - or at least my musical life. This was the gig where I first encountered the great Lol Coxhill, who along with David Bedford and a young Mike Oldfield made up The Whole World and I think (although may be mistaken) that Robert Wyatt was on drums at that gig. Kevin influenced me greatly and was a superb songwriter, but sadly never quite achived the fame and glory he deserved. Bev, I was at the Rainbow gig too. Again, fantastic. RIP Kevin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/feb/20/kevin-ayers-dies-aged-68

I saw him with the Whole World at the Roundhouse in London. Their version of "Why are we Sleeping" was unbelievable and pretty much changed my life - or at least my musical life. This was the gig where I first encountered the great Lol Coxhill, who along with David Bedford and a young Mike Oldfield made up The Whole World and I think (although may be mistaken) that Robert Wyatt was on drums at that gig. Kevin influenced me greatly and was a superb songwriter, but sadly never quite achived the fame and glory he deserved. Bev, I was at the Rainbow gig too. Again, fantastic. RIP Kevin.

Would have loved to have seen the Whole World, Roger (though not sure I'd have been able to make head nor tail of them at the time - the album didn't kick in for many years when I bought it in '73).

The Rainbow gig was something special at the time - a sort of celebrity jamboree for people who were only a bit famous. I remember Mike Oldfield playing the solo off 'Whateverwebringsgehesings', John Cale (I think) doing 'Heartbreak Hotel and Nico scaring the bejazus out of everyone with 'Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles'! And the whole of 'the Dr Dream' suite somewhere at the end.

There's even a prominent mention of Kevin's passing on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-21517041

You'd not have heard Ayres mentioned on the BBC outside the Top Gear/Sounds of the Seventies area back in his hey-day. Intriguing that he's now considered of wider interest.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

That would be something. Not sure the most current composer they've done. I was going to say Lutoslawski, but that was an immersion thing, not Composer of the Week. They have done John Adams, I guess. And Philip Glass. Still not a likely choice.

Anyway, I was wrong, at the moment, Max has two weeks and Fiona has two weeks on Late Junction (I vastly prefer his shows, but I still listen to hers). Assuming he hasn't pre-taped it, he might be able to add a track to tomorrow's show. I'll keep a look out.

Edited by ejp626

Nice old Guardian article from 2007 about Kevin and Robert Wyatt meeting again after many years:

http://reynoldsretro...t-grauniad.html

Another short piece here.

Unless I am mistaken, Wyatt fell out a window at a party that Ayers' was throwing (maybe he was not the only person throwing the party?), which probably did put some massive and perhaps unspoken stresses on the friendship.

There was some documentary about a Canadian athlete who was paralyzed in an auto accident (his friend was driving). The main focus was on how he became a powerful advocate for the disabled -- even traveling the Great Wall of China in his wheelchair -- but part of the story was how hard it was for the two to get past the guilt/anger and remain friends.

Not that I am implying Ayers' ought to have felt guilty about Wyatt's condition, only that such feelings are common in tragic situations such as this.

Edited by ejp626

too young!! - I didn't expect this

was only just listening to the Reel CD "What More Can I Say"

I adored that voice - one of my favourites was his french version of "May I" (puis je)

The early Soft Machine (Ayers/Wyatt/Allen) were such an important musical influence on me - they also infused so much humour into the music which gradually disappeared as these members left

RIP Kevin

Sad to read that.

His first 4 records + the first Soft Machine album were formative influences. Strong song writing, a very personal approach to vocals and a willingness to go in odd directions.

I was at the famous June 1st concert in 1975 that became a record; also a Hyde Park free gig that year (my abiding memory being walking away as he did his encores - he finished with the ultimate unromantic love song with a refrain of 'But I've got a hard-on for you, babe'. Don't think he ever recorded it!)

R.I.P.

Or perhaps...

'Thank You...Very...MUCH!'

Very sad to hear. I've loved the album of June 1st for the longest time, buying it secondhand in the early 80s on an old pink label island tape and playing it over and over. Envious of you being at that gig and would love to hear the rest of the concert presuming its on tape. Great voice and songwriter and a sad loss.