Movie Gold label at DMG?

colinmce

I've asked DMG about Movie Gold. Will post here when they reply - if I get a reply.

And they're CDrs. :w

I didn't see that on their Movie Gold page. Did you get a CD-R, maybe taken from a Japanese CD? Or are these perhaps needle-drops, i.e. taken from vinyl?

Edited by J.A.W.

I've asked DMG about Movie Gold. Will post here when they reply - if I get a reply.

I didn't see that on their Movie Gold page. Did you get a CD-R, maybe taken from a Japanese CD? Or are these perhaps needle-drops, i.e. taken from vinyl?

If you click on the individual titles in the OP's link, "[CD-R]" is the first thing you see in the description.

If you click on the individual titles in the OP's link, "[CD-R]" is the first thing you see in the description.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

They're cdr boots. They have been selling those kinds of "reissues" for years.

In that case I don't expect to get a reply from them...

Charging $15 - $16 for bootlegs is a disgrace in my view - but I'm probably being naive...

Edited by J.A.W.

I know this is totally a tangent, but I remember looking through the used CD rack and they were charging through the nose for a very marginal (but OOP) rock/pop CD. Yes, it was OOP, but even a quick glance at Amazon would tell you that the going rate was about $2! I have lost a lot of respect for DMG over the years and basically never even think of shopping on-line with them anymore. Even when I am in Manhattan, I rarely drop into the store.

Charging $15 - $16 for bootlegs is a disgrace in my view - but I'm probably being naive...

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting and honestly, I don't see who's paying for them - most of those titles one could easily find in FLAC format online, for free!

What's weird is that apart from their bizarre used item markup and these homebrewed bootlegs (from the owners' record collections), they're a great store.

Seems to be a European label. I wonder if it's legit.

Just to reiterate, they make these in house, in the back room.

It is still pretty much my favorite place to shop for music in person. I've always found the staff friendly and knowledgeable and I try to make a point of ordering from them when I can. I've discovered more music there than at any other store.

I'll take honest and ethical over friendly and knowledgeable anyday.

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting and honestly, I don't see who's paying for them - most of those titles one could easily find in FLAC format online, for free!

What's weird is that apart from their bizarre used item markup and these homebrewed bootlegs (from the owners' record collections), they're a great store.

Seems to be a European label. I wonder if it's legit.

Just to reiterate, they make these in house, in the back room.

JAW, you are not being naive, and I agree with you, that they should know better, and shouldn't be selling them. DMG has their own label, and have authored some excellent and legit reissues.

I know this is totally a tangent, but I remember looking through the used CD rack and they were charging through the nose for a very marginal (but OOP) rock/pop CD. Yes, it was OOP, but even a quick glance at Amazon would tell you that the going rate was about $2! I have lost a lot of respect for DMG over the years and basically never even think of shopping on-line with them anymore. Even when I am in Manhattan, I rarely drop into the store.

While I won't defend them with regards the boots that they sell, they do have to pay the rent, with regards to the pricing of their legit stuff. Yes, there are used items that are overpriced; but the main reason I go there when I'm in NYC is that they just have stuff that I will not find anywhere else. The staff is always nice, and when they get a feel for what I listen to, they'll toss me recommendations that I find to be worthwhile purchases. I don't feel like I'm ripped off there.

• 10 months later...

Is anyone out here realizing that the surviving musicians and their families are receiving nothing of the proceeds from these sales, while DMG and the Movie Gold people (whoever they are) are once again laughing all the way to the bank? Henry Grimes is on two of these recordings. Shall we assume the checks are in the mail?

I seem to recall that DMG made a few of Henry Threagill/Air's albums available via home-made CD-Rs some time ago and stated that they had been released with Henry's approval. In fact I bought some of them. Do we know for certain that they haven't sought approval before releasing these? However, looking at what is a pretty long and diverse list , I would think it is unlikely

Over the past 20 years i've bought,perhaps 6 of the Movie Gold cd-rs from DMG,knowing that these are unauthorized and that the artist/estate of the artist got nothing from the sale.I know it was wrong to buy these but the titles were recordings that i cherished for years on lp but were not(at that time) available on cd.My desire to own them on disc overcame my moral qualms.I have resisted the temptation to buy other MG cd-r's when i've been at DMG over the past few years.

When the titles were officially/legitimately released on cd i cheerfully threw out my Movie Gold issues of that record.The only Movie Gold cd-r i still own is Ornette Coleman-Crisis.I will very happy to throw this out when the authorized cd of Crisis shows up(hopefully,soon).

I seem to recall that DMG made a few of Henry Threagill/Air's albums available via home-made CD-Rs some time ago and stated that they had been released with Henry's approval. In fact I bought some of them. Do we know for certain that they haven't sought approval before releasing these? However, looking at what is a pretty long and diverse list , I would think it is unlikely

Was the Air album Air Song? I'm pretty sure my copy was a CDR and the packaging seemed pretty home made, but the label was Why Not and i purchased it from Amazon... probably a whole 'nother kettle of fish...

Was the Air album Air Song? I'm pretty sure my copy was a CDR and the packaging seemed pretty home made, but the label was Why Not and i purchased it from Amazon... probably a whole 'nother kettle of fish...

Yes, two of them were the ones originally released on Trio in Japan - "Air Song" and "Air Raid". I re-bought them from Candid when they were re-issued on WhyNot. The third was "80 degrees Below '82" which I still have. I'm not sure that one has ever been re-issued.

Crazy. I purchased Air Song but didn't want to get Air Raid fearing another CDR... might look at getting them both from Candid, it's on the back-burner though. Looks to be good value at 6.99 EUR: http://www.candidrecords.com/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=266

The majority of the WhyNot/Candid releases are worth getting IMHO

Import CDs have them @ low to mid $7 range

Just a warning re Candid CDs - some I have purchased were CDr's (Benny Bailey), though none of the Whynots