How Long Has It Been Since You Had A Barbershop Shave?

JSngry

I don't keep the beard these days, but sometimes I go for a few days w/o shaving. This time it's been about a week, and I got a beard starting to assert itself. Usually that means extra time with the Fusion (no Beards Of Fire jokes, please), but this time I'm thinking, hey, why not treat myself to a nice old-school barbershop shave, get the hot lather, hot towel, the earfuzz removal, the whole thing. Sounds like a good time.

So, you, how long has it been for you? And what's the going rate these days?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had one, but asked my current hairdresser for one a few weeks ago after growing a beard for a few weeks due to lack of time during our move. But sorry, she did only haircuts ... a former hairdresser would have done it, but told it was rarely asked for these days. Ended up removing the beard myself yesterday.

$ 40! Good grief! I pay € 15 for a haircut incl. shampooing and tip ...

Edited by mikeweil

I had a barber shop shave a few years ago, after a weekend newspaper article on 'the dying art of the men's barber shop shave' put it into my mind.

I think barbers are reluctant to offer it now. It's very much a boutique service over here. I should find a barber in the city and do it more often, as it felt good :g I hate shaving but prefer not to have a beard. And am too old to go with the old fashioned whiskers look that the 'hip' generation are currently brandishing.

Blame this bloke.

4139G75MW9L.jpg

In the 1960s when I was a student. Used to get up late, rush to lectures and need a shave by the afternoon. Found that someone who didn't know my face was much more likely to produce a cut than I was. :(

Don't recall what the price was, but still have a copy of Monk's Music on Riverside bought in those days with 42/- pencilled on it.

Imagine what my early/mid-70s lectures were like, still hungover from the 60s. No-one wore pyjamas any more!

Nude lectures, eh?

I know women who will happily pay £80! A haircut for the price of a Mosaic!!!!

Can beat that! My daughter paid £92 in London - never over £60 here, though. As for me, it's pensioners' rate of £14 with a £1 tip to the hairdresser. :)

Mid '70s in Sudder Street Calcutta. I was looking for a decent barber rather than the pavement wallahs and this congenial barber was sitting outside his Raj era shop, he gave me a great haircut and shave with a genuine cutthroat razor.. Lovely shop, all dark wood, mirrors ,marble and whirring ceiling fans.

These days I pay 1500 yen for cut and shampoo. Pensioners rate ! A shave is another 200yen.

Edited by kinuta

Does it count if you got the hot lather/straight razor treatment on the neck, after your haircut?

This would have last taken place in 1997, in Tallahassee at the Seminole Barber Shop a block from the stadium. So traditional they still had Penthouse magazines to flip through while you waited. They must have offered the full shave service but I never thought about getting it, even though I really loved the feeling of the heated cream and the scrape-scrape-scrape.

If I went to the hairdresser's here, cheapest I could get would be about the equivalent of the Bobby Hackett Mosaic ... but that's really the exception. Went to a hairdresser's about five times since my late teens and bought about 80 or so Mosaics in that same time span.

Never had a shave, wouldn't even know where to get one here.

But when I shaved a couple of days ago, after about two and half or even three weeks, it took me quite a while (time for Fusion jokes, Mr. Sangrey ;))