How Long Has It Been Since You Had A Barbershop Shave?

JSngry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was crazy, hot towels, cold towels (like, coming out of a tub of ice water), hot lathers (yes, lathers), lotions/emollients/oils between rounds, all of it kind of spa-ish except for the straight razor sharp enough to cut you if not (or, I guess, if) expertly applied. That was old school barbershop like a mo.

On 2015/12/16 at 7:52 AM, rdavenport said:

Anyone here have their ear hair burnt off at the barbers?. My ear hair grows embarrassingly quickly these days, and I have to get the electric razor in there once a week. I'm sorely tempted to visit the local Turkish barber.

Never had that but when I was a kid the barber would always offer a ' singe '. A lighted taper passed over a the hair, singeing the ends.

I never understood what it was supposed to achieve, other than a nasty burning smell.

Hot towels are always offered here, along with a shoulder and scalp massage.

All included in the price, and strictly no tipping allowed, ever, under any circumstances !

Edited by kinuta

I had my standard half yearly No 2 on top, No 1 at the sides for £4 in central Worksop (right up there on Main Street where all the action is) a while back. Usually I have to pay an exorbitant £6. I'm always amazed by the prices women regularly pay...a trip to the hairdressers for the price of a complete CD set of The Ring (I assume the treatment lasts as long as the cycle).    

Edited by A Lark Ascending

13 hours ago, kinuta said:

Never had that but when I was a kid the barber would always offer a ' singe '. A lighted taper passed over a the hair, singeing the ends.

I never understood what it was supposed to achieve, other than a nasty burning smell.

Hot towels are always offered here, along with a shoulder and scalp massage.

All included in the price, and strictly no tipping allowed, ever, under any circumstances !

How much does all that cost? 

4 hours ago, rdavenport said:

How much does all that cost? 

You've lumped together two different cases. My current barber in Tokyo charges 1650 yen- 9 sterling for a haircut, shampoo, hottowel, shoulder and head massage. That's using my OAP discount card. Customers under 65 pay about an extra 50-70p.

Singeing dates back to my childhood in the 1950's. Clearly I didn't pay so can only estimate.

I'd say the cost of a haircut was no more the 2/-, probably more like 1/- to 1/6d.

Edited by kinuta

2 hours ago, rdavenport said:

Sorry, I meant the current setup. £9 is a steal! I'd go every week just for the scalp massage at that price.

Right.

It punctures the uninformed myth of Tokyo being a budget busting rip off. 

Another shop a few metres away charges just 600 yen from noon to three o'clock, that's 3.33 sterling.

They also do an anytime skinhead cut for the same 600 yen. This is my barbers ----

11_sosigayaokura.jpg

Edited by kinuta