Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers

The Magnificent Goldberg

I’ve loved this band for decades. Unlike most of the Latin bands that incorporated jazz into their music – Machito, Tito Puente, Eddie Palmieri and many others – Pucho & LSB also incorporated soul and funk into what they were playing. They also mainly played different venues; not many Latin venues but mostly organ rooms and other soul jazz venues; appealing mainly to a black, not Hispanic, audience.

The band broke up in 1974; as Pucho said in an AAJ interview in 2004, ‘I was in the Catskill Mountains making money. Playing in Jewish resorts, working with stars like Milton Berle, Robert Goulet, Tony Bennett. That was the “matzo ball circuit” I was working.’ He put the band together again in 1993 on advice from British DJ Russ Dewbury and began recording again.

Tough – Prestige 7471 (2/1966)

Saffron & soul – Prestige 7502 (11/1966)

Shuckin ‘n jivin’ – Prestige 7528 (8/1967)

Big stick - Prestige 7555 (12/1967)

Heat – Prestige 7572 (4/1968)

Dateline – Prestige 7616 (2/1969)

Jungle fire – Prestige 7765 (1/1970)

Yaina - Right On PRO5000 (c1971)

Super freak – Zanzee SZLP2603 (c1972)

Jungle strut – Lexington 1003 (5/1993)

Rip-A-Dip – Milestone 9247 (6/1995)

Groovin’ high – Cannonball 27103 (c1997)

Mucho Pucho – Timeless 444 (2/1998)

Caliente con soul - Cubop CBDC021 (3/1999)

How’m I doin’ – Cannonball 27108 (12/1999 & 1/2000)

The Hideout – Milestone 9340 (4/2003-3/2004)

There’s also:

The best of Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers – Prestige 7679. It contains material from 1967 and 1968 LPs.

As they did with Brother Jack McDuff, Fantasy reissued most of the band’s Prestige material on CD in pretty random order on two CDs – ‘Legends of Acid Jazz’ (PRCD24175) and ‘Cold shoulder’ (PRCD24240). I attach an Excel table detailing the issues. However, over the past year, according to their new update catalogue for 21012/13, Ace records in the UK have issued two twofer CDs on the BGP label that sort out the mess; and complete the issue of the band’s Prestige material, except for two tracks that have never been issued. I’m surprised they waited so long, as the twofer of ‘Heat’ and ‘Jungle fire’ they issued in 1992 is still in the BGP catalogue, and must be selling still. However, as Universal is Concord’s European licensee, I dare say Ace had a protracted negotiation with Concord.

The two new CDs are:

pucho-latin-soul-bro_383_383.jpg

CDBGPD252 – Big Stick & Dateline and

PuchoPackshot2_383_383.jpg

CDBGPD255 – Saffron and soul & Shuckin’ n jivin’

Here's the table (it's a Word doc, because I'm not allowed to upload .XLS files :g)

Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers Prestige issues.doc

MG

There's a nice quote about money in the AAJ interview.

You don't have to do no benefit for me. I'm all right. I got a couple of dollars in my pocket. I got a couple of Cadillacs in the driveway. Got a swimming pool in my backyard. Got me a nice big home. So, I don't give a hell. I'm all right. And a lot of cats have been around and they don't have what I got.

As with Johnny Griffin, whose chateau in France was on offer a short while ago for about half a million pounds or thereabouts, it's nice to hear of a jazzman who was wise enough to do well. Plenty weren't.

MG

Considering my interest in Cal Tjader and The Latin Jazz Quintet, I should have checked out Pucho & his Brothers, but I found their music a little bland in comparison to the former - I think I will get me one of those Prestige twofers and re-listen.

BGP has a long time licensing association with Fantasy/Concord - they reissued Mongo Santamaria, The Latin Jazz Quintet with Dolphy, and others.

MG, can you post a list of the sidemen? Can't locate my Prestige disco right now ... Thanks. IIRC Steve Berrios was in that band at one time.

Considering my interest in Cal Tjader and The Latin Jazz Quintet, I should have checked out Pucho & his Brothers, but I found their music a little bland in comparison to the former - I think I will get me one of those Prestige twofers and re-listen.

BGP has a long time licensing association with Fantasy/Concord - they reissued Mongo Santamaria, The Latin Jazz Quintet with Dolphy, and others.

MG, can you post a list of the sidemen? Can't locate my Prestige disco right now ... Thanks. IIRC Steve Berrios was in that band at one time.

Will do - back soon.

MG

Here we are - Berrios was on 'Rip-a-dip' and 'Groovin' high'.

Tough – Prestige 7471 (2/1966) – Vincent McEwan (tp), Claude Bartee (ts), Willie Bivens (vib), John Spruill (p), Jon Hart (b), Richard Landrum (cga), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Henry ‘Pucho’ Brown (timbales, leader) (shan’t mention Pucho again)

Saffron & soul – Prestige 7502 (11/1966) - Vincent McEwan (tp), Claude Bartee (ts), Harold Alexander (ts, fl), Willie Bivens (vib), John Spruill (p), James Phillips (b), Bill Curtis (later of Fatback Band) (d), Richard Landrum (cga), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo)

Shuckin ‘n jivin’ – Prestige 7528 (8/1967) – Vincent McEwan (tp), Claude Bartee (ts), Willie Bivens (vib), Neal Creque (p), James Phillips (b), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Cecil Jackson (cga), Jackie Soul, The Soul Sisters (vo)

Big stick - Prestige 7555 (12/1967) – Willie Bivens (vib, p, clavinet), Neal Creque (p, org, clavinet), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Cecil Jackson (cga), Jackie Soul, The Soul Sisters (vo)

Heat – Prestige 7572 (4/1968) – Al Pazant (tp), Eddie Pazant (ts, bars, fl), Willie Bivens (vib), Neal Creque (p, org), James Phillips (b), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Cecil Jackson (cga), Jackie Soul (vo), unknown strings

Dateline – Prestige 7616 (2/1969) – Al Pazant (tp), Kiane Zawadi, Barry Rogers (tb), Eddie Pazant (ts, fl), Willie Bivens (vib), Neal Creque (p, org), William Allen (b), Joe Armstrong (d), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Richard Landrum (cga)

Jungle fire – Prestige 7765 (1/1970) – Al Pazant (tp), Eddie Pazant (ts), Seldon Powell (ts, fl, el sax), Willie Bivens (vib, perc), Neal Creque (el p), Billy Butler (g), Sehorn Westbrook (el b), Bernard Purdie (d), Joe Armstrong (cga), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Sonny Phillips (arr)

Yaina - Right On PRO5000 (c1971) – Al Pazant (tp), Eddie Pazant (sax), Harold Alexander (fl), Willie Bivins (vib), Jack Burvick (p), Leo Williams (g), Ernie Adams (b), Cadillac Joe Armstrong (cga), Norberto Apellaniz (bgo), Harry Gist (d), Richard Landrum, Butch Johnson (perc)

Super freak – Zanzee SZLP2603 (c1972) – (printing on this is horrid, so I’m not sorting it, it’s hard enough) John Madhatter Spruill (el p)Richard Landrum (bgo), Alvin Bunn (cga), George Michaels (d), Ernie Adams (b), Kenny Rogers (ts, ss, fl), Eddie Pazant (fl), Cornell Dupree (el & sitar guitar), Al Pazant (tp), Willie Bivens (vib), Marilyn Johnson (voc)

Jungle strut – Lexington 1003 (5/1993) – Al Pazant (tp), Eddie Pazant (sax, fl), Willie Bivens (vib), John Spruill (kbds), Melvin Sparks (g), William Allen (b), Bernard Purdie (d), Ricky Bongo James (bgo), Ernie Clayton (cga), Ernie Colon (d 2 trx), Amanda (who sings worse than Althea Young) (lead voc), Cheryl Gadsen (bk voc)

Rip-A-Dip – Milestone 9247 (6/1995) – Al Pazant (tp), Eddie Pazant (sax, fl), Willie Bivens (vib), John Spruill (kbds), Marvin Horne (g), Jon Hart (b), Larry Killian (cga), Ricky Bongo James (bgo), Massamba (African drums)

Special guests – Melvin Sparks (g), Steve Berrios (chekere, bells, clave, guiro, bgo, cga, coro), Mel Martin (ts, as, sops, fl, picc), Melecio Magdalyo (bars), Robbie Kwock (tp), Wayne Wallace (tb)

Groovin’ high – Cannonball 27103 (c1997) – Al Pazant (tp), Pamela Fleming (tp, flh), Eddie Pazant (as, ts, fl), Willie Bivens (vib), John Spruill (p, org), Marvin Horne (g), Jon Hart (b), Larry Killian (cga, perro), Ricky Bongo James (bgo, bells, cga, djembe), Steve Berrios (guiro, cowbell), Ernie Colon (d, cga, bgo, bells), DJ Daze (scratching), MC BaBee Power (rap)

Mucho Pucho – Timeless 444 (2/1998) - Al Pazant (tp), Pamela Fleming (tp, flh), Eddie Pazant (as), Joe Locke (vib), John Spruill (p, org), Marvin Horne (g), Jon Hart (b), Larry Killian (cga), Ricky Bongo James (bgo, misc perc), Chaka Tonge, Seka Tonge (perc), MC BaBee Power (rap)

Caliente con soul - Cubop CBDC021 (3/1999) – Eddie Pazant (sax, oboe, fl), John Spruill (p), Marvin Horne (g), Jon Hart (b), Tyrone Govan (d), Ernie Colon (bgo), Johnny Griggs (cga)

Special guests – Arturo Velasco (tbn), Antoine Caito (baby bass & quinto), Michael Turre (ss, fl), Bobby Matos (guiro, bata)

How’m I doin’ – Cannonball 27108 (12/1999 & 1/2000) – Eddie Pazant (as, bars), John Spruill (p, org), Marvin Horne (g), Tehrin Cole (b), Tyrone Govan (d), Santos Rivera (cga)

Special guests – Fred Wesley (tbn), Tony Velez (trez), Dave Valentin (fl), Lew Soloff, Kenny Rampton, Gerald Brezel (tp), Harvie Swartz (b), Al Pazant (!) (tp), Eric Alexander (ts), Louis Kahn (vln, tb)

The Hideout – Milestone 9340 (4/2003-3/2004) – Al Pazant, Richard Lee Wendell, Gerald Brazel (tp), Eddie Pazant (as), Dave Ellis (ts), Lewis Kahn (vln, tbn), Ric Faulkner (tb), Willie Bivens (vib), Joe Locke (vib, marimba), John Spruill (p, org), Danny Mixon (p), Marvin Horne (g), Tehrin Cole, David Herscher, Harvie Swartz (b), Tyrone Govan (d), Johnny Griggs (cga, perc), Santos Rivera (bgo, perc), Chico Alvarez (voc, perc), Deborah Resto, Dwayne Fitzgerald (voc)

MG

Ace's Fantasy reissues were always licensed for 'the world outside the US & Canada'. These are licensed for 'world', according to Ace's site. Concord has given up on soul jazz, by the looks of it.

That surprises me not one whit. What does surprise me is public acknowledgement that this represents.

MG

Re: The Hideout – Milestone 9340 (4/2003-3/2004)

As I recall, Joe Locke was hired to do a huge amount of fixing/sweeting/corrections and general post production work on that one.

Too many guests not fully clued, by the looks of the personnel.

MG

Vibist Willie Bivens played with the Latin Jazz Quintet, too.

Richie Landrum and Larry Killian - nice congueros!

Oh, and many thanks for taking the time to type all this info!

1 Oh, I didn't know that. He's not on any of the ones I've got. Which is he on?

2 Indeed!

3 It's OK, I should have done it to start off with :)

MG

Willie Bivens plays on the Latin Jazz Quintet's "The Chant" (Tru-Sound 15012) - this one was on CD only in Japan, took me quite some time to finda copy ;)

Ah...

Thanks Mike.

1st off his albums are for some reason really rare. never seen any of his lps in person. saw him in concert about 13 yrs ago for a week, was fantastic- althoygh ive never heard of him gigging since..........

I saw Pucho in '93 or '94, at the Coal Exchange, in Cardiff

684px-Coal_Exchange%2C_Cardiff.jpg

The most disappointing gig I've ever been to; the only one I've ever walked right out of. I expected to see Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers, not Pucho and the English Pickup Band. Two tunes was enough for me. I expect he had the proper band with him when you saw him, Chewy.

MG

Claude Bartee (ts), Willie Bivens (vib), Neal Creque (p

So I guess Grant Green was sitting in with Pucho's band in those clubs in New York no doubt, seen as he built his new sound around these guys.

Shelton Laster says in the Andrews Green bio that, 'Grant and Claude go way back'. This seems to suggest they knew each other even before the days of this band. St. Louis maybe?

+ the John Patton connection - Vincent McEwan (tp), Harold Alexander (ts, fl)

According to last.fm (I don't know how reliable that is) the Pazant Brothers played with Hampton, Basie, Gillespie (they were on one (or more) of Dizzy's soul jazz album(s)), and Blakey (the bus inspector).

Pucho always used good but not exceptional musicians.

Dunno where Claude Bartee comes from. New York wouldn't surprise me.

MG

Claude Bartee came from Oakland. When I received the Japanese BN reissue of GG "Live at the Lighthouse", I did some research and Claude was from the Bay Area. He moved to NY and he went back to the West Coast where he passed away from AIDS in I think the mid 90's, sad.

Interesting post CJ. Very sad to read though. I guess that explains why he never came forward during the Andrews Green biography :( The creative communities must have lost a lot of people during that time that weren't as well known as some.

Did the Japanese re-issue have extra info (I've never known if those Japanese inserts contained a wealth of added info to the liner notes or not?), or did you find this out through personal research? Very sad none the less. I remember seeing a picture of Claude Bartee jamming with Billy Higgins but can't remember which book it was in. Maybe a Leonard Feather encyclopedia perhaps. I think I had a kind of love-hate relationship with Bartee's playing on Grant's albums. But Grant must have dug it a lot. His sound on Betcha By Golly Wow is sweet and tart in a good way. A great album any way you look at it.

Here is Cantaloupe Island. From 'Tough'. And I like it a lot.

I think Harold Alexander must be on this one too. It sure sounds like him in the opening phrase of the solos.

Bartee and Alexander sound absolutely fantastic together.

I thing Grant Green may have had their sound in mind when he used Clarence Thomas and Houston Person for the Club Mozambique recording.

Trying to find Pucho's version of Maiden Voyage as well, not on you tube unfortunately.

Edited by freelancer