Dogs or Cats?

Tim McG

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Horse.

We eat a lot of it in the UK (it seems).

Tesco has a special offer this week on petrol, diesel and hamburgers. Only fuels and horses qualify.

Ho! Ho!

(Or should that be Nay! Nay!)

[i'm a great fan of the farming news on Radio 4 early in the morning but at present it's absolutely electric!].

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Always been a cat person, but haven't had any since my son turned 1. (Had to give them up for unrelated reasons...)

Am hoping in a few years to be back in a place where I can keep a cat or two. (Vancouver landlords are notoriously anti-pet, and they definitely have the upper hand out here!)

We've had cats and dogs. They've all been themselves and I've loved them for themselves.

The first was Golly, an almost pure black cat. Very streetsmart. Used to bang on the letter box when she wanted to come in. Went on holiday most summers to the people around the back. Went off looking for her kittens, because we'd found them homes while she was at the vet's being speyed; found her at a riding stables, ruling the rooost over a bunch of Jack Russells. Much more people-oriented than most cats. When we went on holiday to my father-in-law's in the wilds of rural Sussex, she would walk tidy on a dog lead! She was 18 when she died.

There was Muff; a stray black & white cat we adopted and very dim (but not so dim she didn't know which side of the bread was buttered), named after a small town in Ireland (racist joke - English people will appreciate). Golly had to help her have her kittens. Got run over aged 18 months or so.

Toby; the last word in nutcase pug dogs (or so we thought). A fawn. The most wonderful dog ever. Would chase traffic, if allowed. Was always allowed to chase trains going by the cricket pitch on an embankment. "Nearly caught that one, Dad," he'd say, running back, exhausted. Couldn't be effectively punished. Would LOVE to get my daughter's soft toys out of her room, bring them in the lounge, wagging tail and saying, 'look what I've got!' He'd be told off, smacked or whatever. He'd apologise handsomely, then go off and do it again. Pugs are wonderful! He was 14 when he died, during my first trip to Africa.

Blossom, an aged (we don't know how aged) bitch Peke my daughter's boy friend at the time rescued from an apartment in which her very aged owner had died. Very calm lady. Toby bossed her around something rotten. We had to have her killed due to congestive heart failure same day as Princess Diana died.

Henry, present pug dog, black, puts Toby's insanity to shame. Two years old at the moment. Wants everything to play with him particularly lorries, white vans, cyclists, joggers, people on Vespas, children, adults, anything that moves. We don't live anywhere that he can see a train. They told us blacks were worse than fawns, but not how much worse :D

MG

Well if you had to pin me down I have a preference for dogs but love them both. As Bill F can attest, it a regular menagerie here. We talk on Skype regularly and he usually sees at least a dog or two during our conversations. I think he likes Charlie our 9 month old Golden Retreiver? Besides Charlie, I own 2 other dogs and 3 cats. We don't have kids. This is our family.

Well if you had to pin me down I have a preference for dogs but love them both. As Bill F can attest, it a regular menagerie here. We talk on Skype regularly and he usually sees at least a dog or two during our conversations. I think he likes Charlie our 9 month old Golden Retreiver? Besides Charlie, I own 2 other dogs and 3 cats. We don't have kids. This is our family.

They give you less cheek than kids. You're winning!

They give you less cheek than kids. You're winning!

Pugs give you more cheek than kids. But they don't give you grandchildren.

MG

Henry, present pug dog, black, puts Toby's insanity to shame. Two years old at the moment. Wants everything to play with him particularly lorries, white vans, cyclists, joggers, people on Vespas, children, adults, anything that moves. We don't live anywhere that he can see a train. They told us blacks were worse than fawns, but not how much worse :D

MG

Our dog is also named Henry! A sweet mix of (probably) retriever and border collie. Lovable dimwit. Scared of large moving objects. Goes berserk in the snow.

Dogs all the way, preferably a german shepherd or a lab. Always have loved dogs, never even met a cat that I liked.

Now that we're dogless though, our neighbor's cat (who won't let anyone- including his owners- get near him) inhabits our back yard. I like that, because he'll help control and deter the local rodents, and I don't even have to acknowledge him, let alone feed him.