Albums featuring 2 bassists

ElginThompson

I've really been enjoying Bill Dixon lately, in particular, the use of 2 bassists on LPs like Thoughts and November 1981. Love the depth of sound it creates. Picked up the Complete Black Lion and Soul Note box, which is amazing. Wondering if fellow members could suggest a few artists utilizing multiple bassists in a similar fashion (understanding that there was only one Bill Dixon). Thanks in advance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smokestack. Cecil's Unit Structures with Alan Silva and Henry Grimes: silva high up with the bow, grimes with a chthonic low bass part. Ornette with Izenson and Haden. LaFaro and Haden on Free Jazz: the two bass duet at the end is my favourite bit of the album. All of Coltrane's two bass experiments. A really interesting topic!

619RZ2W3UlL._SY300_.jpg

John Tchicai's two-bass Timo's Message on Black Saint is a strong album - one of his very best, although it doesn't seem to be very well known.

Sans Tambour ni Trompette, an excellent album by Martial Solal, features M. Solal with two basses, no drums (or trumpet, he felt compelled to point out). It would probably be hard to find.

Pharoah Sanders did it quite a bit.

Karma has Richard Davis & Reggie Workman on one track, Reggie Workman & Ron Carter on the other.

Izipho Zam has Cecil McBee & sirone.

Jewels of thought has Richard Davis & Cecil McBee on Sun in Aquarius.

Black Unity has Cecil McBee & Stanley Clarke.

I think I remember 'Let us go into the house of the Lord' as having 2 bassists - must get that album again.

Trance of seven colors features Maleem Mahmoud Ghania and (his father?) Maleem Boubker Gahnia playing guimbri, a bass lute used in Morocco. Bloomin' fabulous album this one!

Message from home has Charnett Moffett and Steve Neil on bass (Neil sometimes on elec bass).

Turning to more mainstream jazz, not quite but nearly right, Nat Adderley's 'Work song' has cello and bass - Sam Jones and Keter Betts play both at different times, and Percy Heath is on bass sometimes.

Les McCann's 'Invitation to openness' has Bill Salter on electric bass, Jimmy Rowser on accoustic.

Can't think of any more, but it wouldn't surprise me if a fair number of CTI/Kudu albums didn't have electric and accoustic basses. Can't be asked to go through them, at present :D

MG

Prince Lasha/Sonny Simmons "The Cry," with Gary Peacock and (on some tracks) the otherwise unknown (to me) Mark Proctor -- a lovely team who contribute much to a lovely album, along with drummer Gene Stone.

That's a good one - I regretted I sold that LP, as it sounded great, like most Contemporary recordings.

Johnny Griffin's "A Change of Pace" on Riverside had two bassist on half of the tracks.

41FAZJ4WJYL.jpg

What are the typical or atypical approaches to using two bassists from a conceptual or arrangement standpoint?

One to play a static, grounding part, the other to play a more moving part, that's typical. Or one to play arco,the other pizzicato.

On Free Jazz, Haden plays in one tempo, LaFaro in a more or less double tempo.

Atypical would be for both to be playing the same type thing, either tonally, speedwise, register, etc. That a big lot of mud in a big lot of hurry.

Re: Bill Dixon, the 7-tette (1964, Savoy) has Hal Dodson and David Izenzon. Apparently Izenzon had a lot of trouble with his part, though I'm not able to recall why. After all, he was a competent classical bassist back then. The score for "Winter Song" is pretty meaty - Down Beat reprinted it at one point. There are also two bassists on Intents & Purposes, Reggie Workman and Jimmy Garrison. Dixon often liked to use two basses in complementary textural roles, which I assume was a way to "spread out" the sound, especially when working with a small group.

Brötzmann: Kowald and Niebergall on Machine Gun, to name just one recording. They were also two of the bassists in several Globe Unity recordings.

John Carter/Bobby Bradford: Self-Determination Music had Henry Franklin and Tom Williamson on basses to excellent effect.

Richard Abrams — Levels and Degrees of Light - Charles Clark & Leonard Jones

Maurice McIntyre — Humility in the Light of the Creator - Malachi Favours, M'Chaka Uba

Bill Dixon's Thoughts has three basses and one tuba.

There's multiple bassists on Horace Tapscott's The Call, up to three and possibly four at one point.