Rare Jimmy Jones 10" LP

mikeweil

This link shows a Billboard that lists many albums in this series: http://books.google.com/books?id=ah8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=%22jimmy+jones%22,+piano+solos&source=bl&ots=5SUW4NVicd&sig=IHOEdNr8YBatQDxE0BkN13PAJgE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nWEqUY3_PNGL0QGa1IGQBA&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22jimmy%20jones%22%2C%20piano%20solos&f=false

Some of these clearly contain material that did not originate with Atlantic. For example, the Barney Bigard was on an obscure label called Rex (not the more familiar Rex label that some of you may know). The Pee Wee Russell material is from HRS.

Ruppli lists three trio (not solo) sessions led by Jones in 1957. Since the Billboard ad is from 1951, it can't be those trio sides.

If the material on the listed album really consists of solo recordings by Jones, my guess is that they might the solo sides he made for Wax.

This link shows a Billboard that lists many albums in this series: http://books.google....o solos&f=false

Some of these clearly contain material that did not originate with Atlantic. For example, the Barney Bigard was on an obscure label called Rex (not the more familiar Rex label that some of you may know). The Pee Wee Russell material is from HRS.

Ruppli lists three trio (not solo) sessions led by Jones in 1957. Since the Billboard ad is from 1951, it can't be those trio sides.

If the material on the listed album really consists of solo recordings by Jones, my guess is that they might the solo sides he made for Wax.

That would be my guess too. According to my Bruyninckx they were made in 1947.

Thanks all - these are the solo sides Jones cut for Wax (according to Lord):

Jimmy Jones (p) solos or acc on some sides by Al Hall (b) Bill Clark (d) New York, 1947

W116 Empty space (trio) Wax 106

W117 What's new ? -

W118 When I walk with you Wax 113

W118-X? When I walk with you (alt) Wax 113

W119 I'll see you again Wax 110

W120 Mad about the boy Wax 110

W121 Someday I'll find you 111

W122 Zigeuner (ah added) -

W123 Clair de lune 107

W124 Lover man -

W130 New York City blues Wax 112

W131 On a turquoise cloud Wax 113

W132 Bakiff Wax 112

Since later group recordings of Jones for Wax were reissued on Atlantic your hypothesis seems plausible. Lord says they are all on a Classics CD - that would be the reissue to look for. Since they are 12 tracks plus one alternate, the Atlantic 10 incher couldn't have contained the whole bunch, anyway.

41XERRF240L._SL500_.jpg

I stopped looking for that one a while ago - the prices were nuts.

The Classics CD is available from private sellers on Amazon UK for around £14.50 / $22 / €16.80 (including tax, which will be deducted for non-EU orders) plus shipping: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0000945YL/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The vocalist on "Empty Space" is identified as "Lynn."

I meant to post that many of the Jimmy Jones recordings on Wax are also available on a CD issued by Storyville (as mikeweil just noted in the short time that it took to post this). That's how I have some of this music.

This following link provides some information on the Classics and Storyville releases: http://www.depanoram...ms/04dems1c.htm

Edited by jazztrain