Chick Corea

Milestones

4 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

xybert, where did you get "Five Trios"?you are lucky because that's still a relatively recent still rare Chick album? 

I got it from Amazon Japan for around 10,000 JPY. Was pretty stoked to get it.

Chick hasn't released any new music this year and nothing's been announced that i know of; i'm wondering whether they might release a box of recordings from his 75th birthday concerts.

Speaking of the NFL thing, Chick apparently joined the Roots on Jimmy Fallon recently. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/19/2013 at 11:56 PM, jeffcrom said:

I pretty much love everything by Chick up to the time Circle disbanded. Although I like some of his music after that (and I like some of it a lot), I don't entirely "trust" him after that, if that makes any sense. What I mean is - with most musicians, I have a sense of who they are, musically, and can gauge their level of "commitment" to their vision of what music should be. With Corea, I've got no idea who he really is, and what he thinks music should be. Of course, that might just be my hangup. Mr. Corea, or anybody else, certainly doesn't have to conform to my ideas.

Actually, I think it's quite clear who Chick Corea really is and what he thinks music should be -- it should be a HUGE motherfucking cafeteria and as a chef he's TOTALLY committed to making mac 'n' cheese on Monday, though by Tuesday he'll likely to be more in the mood for beef cheek ravioli with fresh squab livers and black truffles. Of course, whether, you want to eat either dish, or think he makes really shitty mac 'n' cheese, or find it annoying that he wants to run a restaurant with such a huge and to your taste inconsistent menu -- or believe that the inconsistency is in fact caused by the size of the menu -- are separate questions. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

2 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Actually, I think it's quite clear who Chick Corea really is and what he thinks music should be -- it should be a HUGE motherfucking cafeteria and as a chef he's TOTALLY committed to making mac 'n' cheese on Monday, though by Tuesday he'll likely to be more in the mood for beef cheek ravioli with fresh squab livers and black truffles. Of course, whether, you want to eat either dish or think he makes really shitty mac 'n' cheese or whatever are different questions.  

haha. i bet he cooked a mean paella

On 3/19/2013 at 8:56 PM, jeffcrom said:

I've got all the released stuff by Circle, including the Japanese albums - and a little bit of other nice stuff as well. The two Japanese albums are very good - one is a concert recording of pieces that were also included in the ECM Paris Concert album (from a different concert, of course), and the other is a studio recording of a long improvised piece.

I pretty much love everything by Chick up to the time Circle disbanded. Although I like some of his music after that (and I like some of it a lot), I don't entirely "trust" him after that, if that makes any sense. What I mean is - with most musicians, I have a sense of who they are, musically, and can gauge their level of "commitment" to their vision of what music should be. With Corea, I've got no idea who he really is, and what he thinks music should be.

Of course, that might just be my hangup. Mr. Corea, or anybody else, certainly doesn't have to conform to my ideas.

Interesting comments.  I know Keith Jarrett said at some point that electric keyboards ruined musicians who played them - not just their electric music, but also their subsequent acoustic music.  I think he called out Herbie by name but may have also meant Chick.  Obviously Keith is a very different animal in the sense that over the past 35 years he's mined 2-3 seams very deeply rather than trying to do a lot of things.  I don't have any priors on which approach is better.

[BTW, I generally agree that his post-1973 music is of less interest or instant appeal to me.  But I would say that for a lot of musicians, not just Chick.

Edited by Guy Berger

• 1 year later...

I recently listened to THE PARIS CONCERT for the first time and... it was much better than I anticipated!  Not sure why I was so pessimistic coming into it - maybe I internalized negative comparisons to CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS.  While it’s not any of the participants’ best work, it’s a great listen.  I love this period in Chick’s career; he and Anthony B made a great pairing.