More Tubbs

RogerF

94862-200x200.jpg?bee302

Another really excellent one from Acrobat - 2CDs of rare BBC radio broadcasts from Tubby with a variety of groups including the Jazz Couriers (plus Dizzy Reece on one track and Jeff Clyne on bass for the later sessions by this group), the Quartet, Jimmy Deuchar Ten-Piece and a rare US Voice of America broadcast with Walter Bishop Jrs' Trio. As per usual with the Acrobat reissues, stellar booklet notes from Simon Spillett.

Audio quality is suprisingly good, bearing in mind that most of these were recorded by enthusiasts from the radio to reel-to-reel. A very valuable reissue of Hayes at or near his peak.

Thanks for the recommendation. Now listening - and enjoying.

Bill - glad you are enjoying it. In my opinion this is really outstanding Hayes. Ignore the less than optimum recorded sound and what you have for most of these tracks is a player at his peak and revelling in it. Dig the 'period' announcements by the late, lamented Alan Dell, David Jacobs and that plummy BBC lady (Lennie Bush's wife according to Simon's notes) too. :P

Plus excellent little vignettes by messrs Deuchar, Feldman, Tracey and Reece.

That final track on CD2 (Washington recording of 'Oleo' with Walter Bishop Jr) is an existential miracle. Recorded in the UK from VOA on Long Wave (with resultant fading) directly onto a transcription machine. Even Dean Benedetti recording Bird had better chance with his sonics than that..

Edited by sidewinder

Bill - glad you are enjoying it. In my opinion this is really outstanding Hayes. Ignore the less than optimum recorded sound and what you have for most of these tracks is a player at his peak and revelling in it. Dig the 'period' announcements by the late, lamented Alan Dell, David Jacobs and that plummy BBC lady (Lennie Bush's wife according to Simon's notes) too. :P

Plus excellent little vignettes by messrs Deuchar, Feldman, Tracey and Reece...

Yes those years were the peak - when I was lucky enough to be catching Tubby live. Together with the Morriseys I've been playing today, it's been quite a trip down memory lane. :tup

CD-R again if you don't mind my asking?

Not sure Ubu. Anything specifically to give this away? - looks like a regular CD to me.

Well, the previous set (Tempo, 6CD, I think?) was ... the discs have a slightly greenish or blueish "tan" and no - or different - numbers in the inner circle.

I'm not totally opposed to selling/buying CD-Rs, but I think that should be declared.

and on that note, let's hope that Simon gets a publisher for his Hayes biography very soon. I'm itching to get my mitts on that one.

Just checked Simon Spillett on Amazon under Books and got I Blew It My Way by Simon Spillett and Vic and Helen Ash. Know anything about this one?

and on that note, let's hope that Simon gets a publisher for his Hayes biography very soon. I'm itching to get my mitts on that one.

Just checked Simon Spillett on Amazon under Books and got I Blew It My Way by Simon Spillett and Vic and Helen Ash. Know anything about this one?

Yes it's the biography of Vic Ash, co-written by Simon S.

Anyone read it and can recommend?

Anyone read it and can recommend?

What the hell! At 1p used I can't lose - bought it!

94862-200x200.jpg?bee302

Another really excellent one from Acrobat - 2CDs of rare BBC radio broadcasts from Tubby with a variety of groups including the Jazz Couriers (plus Dizzy Reece on one track and Jeff Clyne on bass for the later sessions by this group), the Quartet, Jimmy Deuchar Ten-Piece and a rare US Voice of America broadcast with Walter Bishop Jrs' Trio.

Just got to that last track. Talk about memory lane! A major source of jazz for me in those days was those VOA broadcasts, complete with Willis Conover, as in this one. Often late at night, I'd be listening with my ear to the speaker, trying to catch the cool sounds amid static and wandering wavelengths which could deliver a blast of Tchaikovsky during the bass solo. Unlike people born into the stereo era, I remain remarkably tolerant of lo-fi to this day. :lol:

Edited by BillF