BFT 108 Discussion Thread

Dan Gould

And away we go ... if anyone else would like to join in please PM me for the download link.

While there is no theme, I do want to note that Tracks 11-14 should be listened to both individually 
and in relation to each other.  Is the pianist the same? Yes this is like a section from a prior BFT - 
Gene Harris or Not Gene Harris?

Thanks and I look forward to all of your comments.

EDIT TO ADD:

Tags on the tracks should not interfere with proper sequencing but for the record, the track times and tags, in order, are:

Track 01               6:19 
BFT 108 - 002      6:27 
BFT 108 - 003      3:13 
Track 06               6:24 
Track 01               5:09 
Track 04               5:27 
Track 01               4:19 
Track 01               6:20 
Track 03               7:42 
BFT 108 - 010      3:40 
BFT 108 - 011      2:44 
Track 06               2:22 
Track 04               3:01 
Track 09               7:26 
BFT 108 - 015      3:40 
BFT 108 - 016      2:25

Jim's comments match my sequencing so everything is honky-dory.

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there is no theme, I do want to note that Tracks 11-14 should be listened to both individually

and in relation to each other.  Is the pianist the same? Yes this is like a section from a prior BFT - 

Aw mannn, now it's like homework!

Okay, first impressions...

1. Right off the bat, that nice loping beat, and drum rolls… sounds like Blakey. Nice minor key feel, like the tune (though I don't recognize it), like the transition to blues changes for the solos. At some point, I found that I had so much Blakey stuff that was getting too little attention, I kind of stopped pursuing his later recordings. I don't know when this is from, but I'd guess 80's? Couldn't tell you who's in the band here, although I could of course summon some guesses based on it being Blakey (unless that's wrong). At any rate, I like this. Nothing's wasted here, and the length is perfect, to my ears.

2. Like the multi-horn unison theme, and the way it's arranged. This is an LP rip, which is always scary (probably something relatively obscure, which will be tough to identify). Solos… don't care too much for the alto tone, or phrasing. Pretty rough and sloppy sounding. I'd have to say the same about the trumpet. The tenor sounds more together sonically and conceptually. The piano solo doesn't do a lot for me, but I like what the drummer was doing at that point (not sure the pianist did). All in all, not bad, but if this was a first take, I would have tried it again.

3. Rollins-esque opening. Then again, I've heard Joe H sound like this. Now they go into "Impressions"… and now it's over. Don't think I've ever heard a tune that began that way end that way. Or that quickly.

4. Back to the blues (wow, never would have expected that :D). In The Closet. Swingin! The trumpet phrasing sounds like an older veteran player. Pianist has some of Oscar P in him, but I don't think it's Oscar. Nice Basie-like comping behind the bass solo. Drummer has skills, and a nice light and crisp sound. This whole thing has a very polished and practiced sound to it, not loose like track two. I like this one.

5. I think I like the arrangement and the harmonies more than the melody. Not sure I've ever heard this tune. Sounds like there's a Hodges influence in this alto, and possibly some Duke/Strays influence in the composition. Really nice stuff. The trumpet has more of a hard bop phrasing, almost like Lee Morgan to my ears. Tasty. I wish this track had been longer. From about the trumpet solo on, this begins to feel more familiar, like something I would probably have in my collection. Must play this a few more times.

6. Oh, what is this tune called… sh!t… this is what I love about BFT's, and- this is what I hate about BFT's! Love this tune, though. Muted trumpet again. Love the pianist's imagination… he almost steals the show here for me. Tasty trumpet solo. Great tone and control. Tenor has a big sound. Doesn't sound quite breathy enough for Ben, but doesn't sound rough enough around the edges for Hawk… crap, I'm blanking. Great recording which I probably own, and I wish this had been longer too.

7. First of all, I've never heard this one- I'm sure of that. A guitarist playing "Rockin' In Rhythm" in front of a big band. Tonally, this reminds me of Herb Ellis circa '60's/70's (that's not a good thing to me, btw). I'm not guessing it's Herb, though, despite the bluesy interjections throughout. The blues licks he's playing are more straight-ahead blues sounding, and I'm thinking this is probably a younger player than Herb. I don't really care for the way he tries to squeeze in the blues licks between the melody notes at times, where there's not enough space for it. His technical ability is fine in that respect, it just doesn't sound good at all, musically speaking. Will have to mull this over (and no, that's not a subtle guess that it's Martin Mull).

8. Wow, so far this assemblage of blues tunes is more enjoyable to me than any BFT you've put together in the past, Dan. This is nice and greasy gospelly (?), and nice and tasty. Great sound on this. Punchy and crisp. Sounds like it was recorded loud, but not too loud. The guitarist really values each note, a la Grant. Nice tone, too. No guesses at this point...

9. Am I detecting a 70's vibe here? Cool how the synth (?) makes it sound like there's a choir in the studio. Funky guitarist. No real clue, other than thinking about guys like Cornell Dupree, David T. Walker… Eric Gale… how many guesses do I get? ;) Interesting fade-out and fade-back-in there in the middle of the track. Hmm. Anyway, nothing too exciting here for me, but enjoyable.

10. Dan, you're really mixing it up nicely. Exhilarating track. I have no real clue, in fact I'm listening to background handclaps and exclamations as possible clues to who this might be.

11. More surface noise here than the battle of Midway ;), but no matter. In terms of the piano, I feel like I'm hearing some Erroll Garner influence.

12. I'm beginning to see… that I suck at this game. Wait- Gene Harris. :) Did he grunt like that? Whoa- very abrupt ending.

13. Old Devil Moon, which I've been meaning to learn for awhile (only about 30 years). Very nice treatment, love the flourish at the end there.

14. Jada. Great late-night mood on this one. And right when I think it's going to be laid back all the way, the pianist plays some dazzling runs. Beautiful command of the 88's. That said, this one dragged on a bit for me. Not a favorite tune of mine.

15, I recognize this tune, haven't heard it in ages, and don't remember the title. Something about the tenor's tone is really striking to me. In fact, it's partly the recording quality, I think. Just a great sound. This track is too short!

16. At first I was thinking Sonny (either Stitt or Criss :smirk: ), but I'm not confident about it being either of them upon further listening. Chops galore, but I'm not getting quite enough soul... or something. Kind of an odd arrangement too, to my ears.

As far as the pianists on 11 thru 14, that will require a LOT more examination for me to know whether Harris was involved, and if so, where. Anyway, some excellent listening on this batch of tunes! Much more to think about, so I'll listen again tomorrow. Thanks Dan.

Aw mannn, now it's like homework!

Okay, first impressions...

1. Right off the bat, that nice loping beat, and drum rolls… sounds like Blakey. Nice minor key feel, like the tune (though I don't recognize it), like the transition to blues changes for the solos. At some point, I found that I had so much Blakey stuff that was getting too little attention, I kind of stopped pursuing his later recordings. I don't know when this is from, but I'd guess 80's? Couldn't tell you who's in the band here, although I could of course summon some guesses based on it being Blakey (unless that's wrong). At any rate, I like this. Nothing's wasted here, and the length is perfect, to my ears.

Not Blakey but the influence is unmistakable. 80s is a good guess, if the decade was about 12 years long instead of 10. :)

2. Like the multi-horn unison theme, and the way it's arranged. This is an LP rip, which is always scary (probably something relatively obscure, which will be tough to identify). Solos… don't care too much for the alto tone, or phrasing. Pretty rough and sloppy sounding. I'd have to say the same about the trumpet. The tenor sounds more together sonically and conceptually. The piano solo doesn't do a lot for me, but I like what the drummer was doing at that point (not sure the pianist did). All in all, not bad, but if this was a first take, I would have tried it again.

I'm hoping someone will recognize the tune - but per AMG, said identification will not actually help with this track. For me it defines 'obscure' but it's not entirely impossible for someone to recognize the recording.

3. Rollins-esque opening. Then again, I've heard Joe H sound like this. Now they go into "Impressions"… and now it's over. Don't think I've ever heard a tune that began that way end that way. Or that quickly.

Makes it the perfect BFT track! Breaks up the monotony of my blues tunes, a little 'out' (for me at least) and so short it can be squeezed in to the one disc rule. :g

4. Back to the blues (wow, never would have expected that :D). In The Closet. Swingin! The trumpet phrasing sounds like an older veteran player. Pianist has some of Oscar P in him, but I don't think it's Oscar. Nice Basie-like comping behind the bass solo. Drummer has skills, and a nice light and crisp sound. This whole thing has a very polished and practiced sound to it, not loose like track two. I like this one.

Not Blues In The Closet per the album but maybe the theme was lifted. I'd have to check. The trumpeter is someone I always think folks should automatically know ... but I guess not. ;) Pianist is not OP but I was curious if anyone would lean in that direction. Agree on the drummer and I am thinking about seeking out more of his small-group work.

5. I think I like the arrangement and the harmonies more than the melody. Not sure I've ever heard this tune. Sounds like there's a Hodges influence in this alto, and possibly some Duke/Strays influence in the composition. Really nice stuff. The trumpet has more of a hard bop phrasing, almost like Lee Morgan to my ears. Tasty. I wish this track had been longer. From about the trumpet solo on, this begins to feel more familiar, like something I would probably have in my collection. Must play this a few more times.

Saxophonist is probably better known for tenor work. Trumpeter is a definite board fave who didn't get to record nearly as much as Lee Morgan did.

6. Oh, what is this tune called… sh!t… this is what I love about BFT's, and- this is what I hate about BFT's! Love this tune, though. Muted trumpet again. Love the pianist's imagination… he almost steals the show here for me. Tasty trumpet solo. Great tone and control. Tenor has a big sound. Doesn't sound quite breathy enough for Ben, but doesn't sound rough enough around the edges for Hawk… crap, I'm blanking. Great recording which I probably own, and I wish this had been longer too.

7. First of all, I've never heard this one- I'm sure of that. A guitarist playing "Rockin' In Rhythm" in front of a big band. Tonally, this reminds me of Herb Ellis circa '60's/70's (that's not a good thing to me, btw). I'm not guessing it's Herb, though, despite the bluesy interjections throughout. The blues licks he's playing are more straight-ahead blues sounding, and I'm thinking this is probably a younger player than Herb. I don't really care for the way he tries to squeeze in the blues licks between the melody notes at times, where there's not enough space for it. His technical ability is fine in that respect, it just doesn't sound good at all, musically speaking. Will have to mull this over (and no, that's not a subtle guess that it's Martin Mull).

Funny how it seems that whenever I pick a guitar track with you in mind, you never care much for it. Not even sure if this is a track I especially lurrve - just that it was by the artist I wanted to feature, had a somewhat different arrangement ... and it fit, time-wise.

8. Wow, so far this assemblage of blues tunes is more enjoyable to me than any BFT you've put together in the past, Dan. This is nice and greasy gospelly (?), and nice and tasty. Great sound on this. Punchy and crisp. Sounds like it was recorded loud, but not too loud. The guitarist really values each note, a la Grant. Nice tone, too. No guesses at this point...

9. Am I detecting a 70's vibe here? Cool how the synth (?) makes it sound like there's a choir in the studio. Funky guitarist. No real clue, other than thinking about guys like Cornell Dupree, David T. Walker… Eric Gale… how many guesses do I get? ;) Interesting fade-out and fade-back-in there in the middle of the track. Hmm. Anyway, nothing too exciting here for me, but enjoyable.

There's a connection between 8 and 9 that will be clear if they get ID'd, which I think is a fairly good possibility. I was wondering myself about that 'choir' sound. My guess is you are right, they weren't live in the studio.

10. Dan, you're really mixing it up nicely. Exhilarating track. I have no real clue, in fact I'm listening to background handclaps and exclamations as possible clues to who this might be.

11. More surface noise here than the battle of Midway ;), but no matter. In terms of the piano, I feel like I'm hearing some Erroll Garner influence.

12. I'm beginning to see… that I suck at this game. Wait- Gene Harris. :) Did he grunt like that? Whoa- very abrupt ending.

13. Old Devil Moon, which I've been meaning to learn for awhile (only about 30 years). Very nice treatment, love the flourish at the end there.

14. Jada. Great late-night mood on this one. And right when I think it's going to be laid back all the way, the pianist plays some dazzling runs. Beautiful command of the 88's. That said, this one dragged on a bit for me. Not a favorite tune of mine.

15, I recognize this tune, haven't heard it in ages, and don't remember the title. Something about the tenor's tone is really striking to me. In fact, it's partly the recording quality, I think. Just a great sound. This track is too short!

16. At first I was thinking Sonny (either Stitt or Criss :smirk: ), but I'm not confident about it being either of them upon further listening. Chops galore, but I'm not getting quite enough soul... or something. Kind of an odd arrangement too, to my ears.

You are correct that neither Sonny is on alto.

As far as the pianists on 11 thru 14, that will require a LOT more examination for me to know whether Harris was involved, and if so, where. Anyway, some excellent listening on this batch of tunes! Much more to think about, so I'll listen again tomorrow. Thanks Dan.

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts Jim. Looking forward to what subsequent listens bring out.

Edited by Dan Gould

Posting without looking at Jim's post:

1 - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers for sure, and it sounds like an 80's version of the group. I'm going to guess Philip Harper on trumpet, though it could also be young Wynton. Guaranteed I have this one in my collection, but I generally listen to his 50’s-60’s groups or to his Bobby Watson groups when I am in a Blakey mood.

2 - Old obviously. No real guesses, as these sound to be horn players from before my era de preferance, but with a more modern rhythm section. So it may be something like on Prestige, where they did that sort of thing a lot in the late 50’s and early 60’s. Don’t like the piano solo. Though I’m not a sound snob, this is a case where the fidelity detracts from my enjoyment.

3 - John Coltrane “Impressions”. Classic quartet Tyner/Garrison/Jones. This is an excerpt from a studio version rather than the more famous VV live version. Great stuff.

4 – I know this well and have owned it like forever, but am not directly identifying it because I’m old, tired, and distracted, and it keeps dropping into the background for me as I listen to it, but it’s great fun. This is where BFT’s really annoy me, because I should know this one!

5 – Beautiful. I believe this is Charlie Mariano with Mingus, “IX Love” from the ‘Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus’ album on Impulse. If you love this, you need to get ‘The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady’,maybe the most purely beautiful album ever made. I need to pull these out and listen to them.

6 – The classic tenor spot. This is where I guess someone else and it turns out to be Sonny Stitt, except last time I guessed Sonny Stitt and it turned out to be someone else. I admire this sort of thing, and own a lot of it, but don’t actually listen to it much.

7 – Well it’s an Ellington piece, but it’s not Ellington. I’m going to guess Kenny Burrell from that Ellington session he did in the 70’s.

8 –Grease indeed. I often can’t differentiate the organ players, but will guess Jack McDuff in this case.

9 – Outside my domain of listening. I almost couldn’t finish this one. Wasn’t the guitar player that drove me crazy, but rather that background drone of the electric keyboards and voices and mechanical handclaps. I actually liked the guitar solo, and assume it is the guitar player’s album. Curious to know who/what this is, but not so I can buy it.

10 – This sounds like a Swingin’ Big Band modernizing itself in the 60’s. Maybe Buddy Rich? I actually like it quite a bit, and listen to more of this sort of thing that I would expect to.

11-14 – Yes, I suppose it could be the same pianist from different settings in different decades. Not someone I listen to a lot.

11 – Ol’ school. I enjoy this, but am not prepared to name anything about it.

12 – I’m not the best at standards, but believe this is “I’m Beginning to See The Light”. Too old of a style for me to be fluent in, even if it’s names I know.

13 – “That Ole Devil Moon”. I like this arrangement, though I’m not knocked out by the solo on this, even though I like the playing of the melody.

14 – Doesn’t really work for me, feels a little clichéd in the tinkling, though the pianist is obviously good at what he does.

15 – Very nice, but I’m not placing it.

16 - As Harrison Ridley Jr. used to say on WRTI, “Alrighty, Yes Indeedy”. Gotta like this, and no doubt it’s a famous player and something I likely have at home, but I’m not able to name it, but I sure enjoyed it.

Wonderful fun and enjoyment on this, and I look forward to the feedback from others and the answers. Thanks Dan!

Posting without looking at Jim's post:

1 - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers for sure, and it sounds like an 80's version of the group. I'm going to guess Philip Harper on trumpet, though it could also be young Wynton. Guaranteed I have this one in my collection, but I generally listen to his 50’s-60’s groups or to his Bobby Watson groups when I am in a Blakey mood.

Not Blakey but Blakey influenced drummer. Neither Wynton nor Harper on trumpet.

2 - Old obviously. No real guesses, as these sound to be horn players from before my era de preferance, but with a more modern rhythm section. So it may be something like on Prestige, where they did that sort of thing a lot in the late 50’s and early 60’s. Don’t like the piano solo. Though I’m not a sound snob, this is a case where the fidelity detracts from my enjoyment.

I was concerned about the sound on this one - and that was after I got rid of the worst pops and clicks! While this one is obscure I am curious if I'll get many positive responses. Still hoping someone recognizes the tune ...

3 - John Coltrane “Impressions”. Classic quartet Tyner/Garrison/Jones. This is an excerpt from a studio version rather than the more famous VV live version. Great stuff.

Not coltrane.

4 – I know this well and have owned it like forever, but am not directly identifying it because I’m old, tired, and distracted, and it keeps dropping into the background for me as I listen to it, but it’s great fun. This is where BFT’s really annoy me, because I should know this one!

5 – Beautiful. I believe this is Charlie Mariano with Mingus, “IX Love” from the ‘Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus’ album on Impulse. If you love this, you need to get ‘The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady’,maybe the most purely beautiful album ever made. I need to pull these out and listen to them.

Not Mingus or Mariano.

6 – The classic tenor spot. This is where I guess someone else and it turns out to be Sonny Stitt, except last time I guessed Sonny Stitt and it turned out to be someone else. I admire this sort of thing, and own a lot of it, but don’t actually listen to it much.

7 – Well it’s an Ellington piece, but it’s not Ellington. I’m going to guess Kenny Burrell from that Ellington session he did in the 70’s.

Not K.B. Was the recent discussion about the Burrell Ellington recordings the trigger for that guess?

8 –Grease indeed. I often can’t differentiate the organ players, but will guess Jack McDuff in this case.

Not McDuff.

9 – Outside my domain of listening. I almost couldn’t finish this one. Wasn’t the guitar player that drove me crazy, but rather that background drone of the electric keyboards and voices and mechanical handclaps. I actually liked the guitar solo, and assume it is the guitar player’s album. Curious to know who/what this is, but not so I can buy it.

So you can avoid anything else by this guy? :g

10 – This sounds like a Swingin’ Big Band modernizing itself in the 60’s. Maybe Buddy Rich? I actually like it quite a bit, and listen to more of this sort of thing that I would expect to.

Not Buddy Rich. I'm expecting the first tenor in the 'battle' to be ID'd at least.

11-14 – Yes, I suppose it could be the same pianist from different settings in different decades. Not someone I listen to a lot.

11 – Ol’ school. I enjoy this, but am not prepared to name anything about it.

12 – I’m not the best at standards, but believe this is “I’m Beginning to See The Light”. Too old of a style for me to be fluent in, even if it’s names I know.

13 – “That Ole Devil Moon”. I like this arrangement, though I’m not knocked out by the solo on this, even though I like the playing of the melody.

14 – Doesn’t really work for me, feels a little clichéd in the tinkling, though the pianist is obviously good at what he does.

15 – Very nice, but I’m not placing it.

16 - As Harrison Ridley Jr. used to say on WRTI, “Alrighty, Yes Indeedy”. Gotta like this, and no doubt it’s a famous player and something I likely have at home, but I’m not able to name it, but I sure enjoyed it.

Wonderful fun and enjoyment on this, and I look forward to the feedback from others and the answers. Thanks Dan!

Old Wooden Ears lived up to his reputation. Just think, if Hot Ptah gets just one, you'll be undefeated! :P

Seriously though John thanks for your comments, its always interesting how people react and which songs strike their fancy and which not so much. I think you may be surprised by some of the answers.

Well, let’s see what’s in here, then. It was one of your BFTs that put me on to Shelley Carroll, so I’m looking forward to this one.

1 Something clearly out of the Blue Note hard bop ethic, but not necessarily from BN. Trumpet, alto, trombone front line. Oh and a tenor sax, too. Something about the alto player reminds me of Sonny Red. Tenor player sounds as if he should be one of my favourites. And the pianist, too! Bloody ‘ell, he’s a good ‘un! And off they all go into sunset across Lake Ponchartain. That drummer! Philly Joe? Slide Hampton? Probably neither, I’ve got a strong feeling this was recorded by Mainstream.

2 Same drummer! Squawky alto player I’m sure I’ve heard before. And a tenor player, and trumpeter. I think it’s not the players but the recording. Did something go wrong at about 2:50? The tenor solo seemed to disconnect like it was skipping the groove. I know the tune, too, but can’t think of it just now.

3 Bebop tenor player. Spiky little riff. Oh, now it turns into ‘Milestones’ or one of those Miles Davis tunes. No idea. No, it’s a Duke Pearson tune, ‘Jeanine’. Must have another listen before I post anything.

4 Very nice swing riff from a somewhat pre-bop trumpet player with a very bright sound. Pianist is of that generation, too, it seems. Unless it’s Donald Byrd and some French guy. Tune’s familiar but can’t place this one, either.

Damn, this BFT is so good I let my cup of tea get cold!

5 Ravishing ballad played by ravishing alto player. And a poignantly acid trumpet player. I can stand a lot of this.

6 Tenor player with more than a touch of Gator Tail about him. But not Willis Jackson; sure he never recorded this ballad. Crazy start to the piano solo! It does sound like Gator on tenor.

Damn nice BFT so far, Dan! Out for a ciggy.

7 Here’s a strange one. Richard Wyands on piano? Then a big band with guitarist playing a Basie (?) riff. I’m not recognising tunes today. Wild alto player. I should know him. Oh, now into Lester Leaps in. I can say with (almost) absolute certainty that I’ve never knowingly heard the guitarist before. Enthusiastic!

8 Gospelly tune with organ. Something of the feel of Freddie Roach’s ‘All that’s good’ or Donald Byrd’s ‘New perception’. Don’t know this at all. I like the tenor and guitar playing the tune together; nice sound. Jeez, I must know this tenor player. Guitarist gets better and better through his solo. Probably someone else I should know. I really don’t know the organist.

9 Organ and voices. I like this one, too. Not the foggiest. Oh, but I wonder if the guitarist could be Calvin Newborn? I wonder what the idea of the fade in the middle was? Oh, here’s an organist with a familiar approach. But this thing is so different and interesting to listen to, I don’t really think it can be anyone I know.

10 Something here makes me think of Woody Herman. Very exciting chase.

11 Bloody ‘ell, I’m not in the mood for doing anything but just listening today! I should know this tenor player. Don’t THINK I know the pianist, though I’ve heard Hamp Hawes play like this on old R&B cuts.

12 Oh, a tune I really recognise ‘I’m beginning to see the light’. But I’m not; I suspect your comments about Gene Harris might be meant to misdirect us. Is the bass player Leroy Vinnegar?

13 ‘Old devil moon’. Very quick segue into it. Nice left hand. No idea who, though.

14 ‘Ja da’, an interesting selection for a pianist to play for seven minutes. Bass player sounds like Ray Brown, so maybe this IS Gene Harris. Or maybe not. No, must be from a Ray Brown album, with Gene as featured sideman. A little research leads to 3-Dimensional.

15 Another familiar tune I don’t know. Another nice tenor player I should know but don’t.

16 Sonny Stiff! With biggish band? Well, sometimes… Oh, it’s live; well, I don’t think Sonny did live gigs with this sort of band. Still sounds like him on third listen.

Now listen Dan, I’ve got lots more albums than I have time to conveniently play them, so it’s real mean of you to stuff a BFT with material I want to buy.

I liked it a lot, Dan; thank you.

Monday

A few more ideas

3 This is someone who had a Coltrane retread in the sixties. I’m thinking of someone like Frank Foster. But the track’s too short for any of his recordings that I know.

4 Well, on second listening, I’m pretty sure this is Donald Byrd. And I’m going to guess that it’s one of his post Mizell recordings. Which I don’t know.

5 Second time around, this alto player sounded too ‘schooled’. Trumpet player still sounds really nice to me. Is this a Duke Ellington tune?

6 Is this the same trumpet player as on 5? I’m thinking more along the lines of Arnett Cobb than Gator today.

8 Damn me, but I should be able to get these guys!

9 I’m going to guess that the organ player is Joey De Francesco, because he sounds like Jimmy Smith. But it doesn’t sound like his kind of material or approach.

10 This now sounds like the Ray Charles band of the 70s, but it’s surely not because I have all that bands recordings from then (unless it’s live). I think the track ended before it quite ended, because there was no after effect (I don’t know what the word is), so I reckon you may have cut it out slightly early to avoid the applause. The yells towards the end sounded like Ray.

11 I have a feeling this may be early Harold Land.

12 I think I can hear Ray Brown again. So, is this OP?

13 I’m going to guess OP again, because of those fast run figures in the middle. But I don’t really know OP’s work very well.

15 I definitely don’t know this tenor player.

16 This STILL sounds like Stitt, but it surely can’t be.

Well, when I listened today, several tracks came up with tags that didn’t appear yesterday. Dirty trick! I sampled a lot of Euge Groove tracks before deciding that you couldn’t POSSIBLY own any of his recordings and that you’d definitely put those tags on to put us off!

Anyway, this has been a very nice BFT, Dan; thank you very much.

MG

Well, let’s see what’s in here, then. It was one of your BFTs that put me on to Shelley Carroll, so I’m looking forward to this one.

1 Something clearly out of the Blue Note hard bop ethic, but not necessarily from BN. Trumpet, alto, trombone front line. Oh and a tenor sax, too. Something about the alto player reminds me of Sonny Red. Tenor player sounds as if he should be one of my favourites. And the pianist, too! Bloody ‘ell, he’s a good ‘un! And off they all go into sunset across Lake Ponchartain. That drummer! Philly Joe? Slide Hampton? Probably neither, I’ve got a strong feeling this was recorded by Mainstream.

Not recorded by Mainstream.

2 Same drummer! Squawky alto player I’m sure I’ve heard before. And a tenor player, and trumpeter. I think it’s not the players but the recording. Did something go wrong at about 2:50? The tenor solo seemed to disconnect like it was skipping the groove. I know the tune, too, but can’t think of it just now.

Listening to it again I don't perceive a technical glitch at all. But I'm glad you didn't spot this, of the participants I thought there was at least a chance you'd know this recording. At this point I may have to give hints to get the tune named.

3 Bebop tenor player. Spiky little riff. Oh, now it turns into ‘Milestones’ or one of those Miles Davis tunes. No idea. No, it’s a Duke Pearson tune, ‘Jeanine’. Must have another listen before I post anything.

The title has been identified previously.

4 Very nice swing riff from a somewhat pre-bop trumpet player with a very bright sound. Pianist is of that generation, too, it seems. Unless it’s Donald Byrd and some French guy. Tune’s familiar but can’t place this one, either.

Not Byrd.

Damn, this BFT is so good I let my cup of tea get cold!

Can't sip and listen at the same time? :P

5 Ravishing ballad played by ravishing alto player. And a poignantly acid trumpet player. I can stand a lot of this.

6 Tenor player with more than a touch of Gator Tail about him. But not Willis Jackson; sure he never recorded this ballad. Crazy start to the piano solo! It does sound like Gator on tenor.

I suspect at least some have this; the tenor is an unfortunately obscure 'local' player whose recording was recently reissued.

Damn nice BFT so far, Dan! Out for a ciggy.

7 Here’s a strange one. Richard Wyands on piano? Then a big band with guitarist playing a Basie (?) riff. I’m not recognising tunes today. Wild alto player. I should know him. Oh, now into Lester Leaps in. I can say with (almost) absolute certainty that I’ve never knowingly heard the guitarist before. Enthusiastic!

Not Wyands; its an Ellington riff previously ID'd.

8 Gospelly tune with organ. Something of the feel of Freddie Roach’s ‘All that’s good’ or Donald Byrd’s ‘New perception’. Don’t know this at all. I like the tenor and guitar playing the tune together; nice sound. Jeez, I must know this tenor player. Guitarist gets better and better through his solo. Probably someone else I should know. I really don’t know the organist.

Oh but you do know the organist. :cool: Seriously though I thought you would get this one so ... Saul Goode as they say.

9 Organ and voices. I like this one, too. Not the foggiest. Oh, but I wonder if the guitarist could be Calvin Newborn? I wonder what the idea of the fade in the middle was? Oh, here’s an organist with a familiar approach. But this thing is so different and interesting to listen to, I don’t really think it can be anyone I know.

Unless I am completely wrong, this is THE one I thought you'd ID. So again ... you don't get it gives me hope it won't be gotten.

10 Something here makes me think of Woody Herman. Very exciting chase.

Not Woody.

11 Bloody ‘ell, I’m not in the mood for doing anything but just listening today! I should know this tenor player. Don’t THINK I know the pianist, though I’ve heard Hamp Hawes play like this on old R&B cuts.

12 Oh, a tune I really recognise ‘I’m beginning to see the light’. But I’m not; I suspect your comments about Gene Harris might be meant to misdirect us. Is the bass player Leroy Vinnegar?

Not Leroy ...

13 ‘Old devil moon’. Very quick segue into it. Nice left hand. No idea who, though.

14 ‘Ja da’, an interesting selection for a pianist to play for seven minutes. Bass player sounds like Ray Brown, so maybe this IS Gene Harris. Or maybe not. No, must be from a Ray Brown album, with Gene as featured sideman. A little research leads to 3-Dimensional.

<he twiddles his mustache maniacally> You've fallen into my trap, MG. BWAHAHAHA. Recognizable tune, pianist sounds like Gene ... ah, Ray Brown Trio, Three-Dimensional, he said with confidence.

But he was wrong. :g

15 Another familiar tune I don’t know. Another nice tenor player I should know but don’t.

16 Sonny Stiff! With biggish band? Well, sometimes… Oh, it’s live; well, I don’t think Sonny did live gigs with this sort of band. Still sounds like him on third listen.

Nope not Sonny.

Now listen Dan, I’ve got lots more albums than I have time to conveniently play them, so it’s real mean of you to stuff a BFT with material I want to buy.

:D

I liked it a lot, Dan; thank you.

Monday

A few more ideas

3 This is someone who had a Coltrane retread in the sixties. I’m thinking of someone like Frank Foster. But the track’s too short for any of his recordings that I know.

4 Well, on second listening, I’m pretty sure this is Donald Byrd. And I’m going to guess that it’s one of his post Mizell recordings. Which I don’t know.

Not Byrd, and recorded long before the Mizell era.

5 Second time around, this alto player sounded too ‘schooled’. Trumpet player still sounds really nice to me. Is this a Duke Ellington tune?

6 Is this the same trumpet player as on 5? I’m thinking more along the lines of Arnett Cobb than Gator today.

8 Damn me, but I should be able to get these guys!

9 I’m going to guess that the organ player is Joey De Francesco, because he sounds like Jimmy Smith. But it doesn’t sound like his kind of material or approach.

Not Joey.

10 This now sounds like the Ray Charles band of the 70s, but it’s surely not because I have all that bands recordings from then (unless it’s live). I think the track ended before it quite ended, because there was no after effect (I don’t know what the word is), so I reckon you may have cut it out slightly early to avoid the applause. The yells towards the end sounded like Ray.

Partially right - the band but not the era of the band.

11 I have a feeling this may be early Harold Land.

That feeling would be misplaced.

12 I think I can hear Ray Brown again. So, is this OP?

13 I’m going to guess OP again, because of those fast run figures in the middle. But I don’t really know OP’s work very well.

15 I definitely don’t know this tenor player.

16 This STILL sounds like Stitt, but it surely can’t be.

Well, when I listened today, several tracks came up with tags that didn’t appear yesterday. Dirty trick! I sampled a lot of Euge Groove tracks before deciding that you couldn’t POSSIBLY own any of his recordings and that you’d definitely put those tags on to put us off!

Anyway, this has been a very nice BFT, Dan; thank you very much.

MG

I'm glad you enjoyed this so much MG, and I'm doubly glad that you didn't get the ones I thought you might.

Can't get this to come out after the quoted bit. Well, anyway...

So this IS the Ray Charles band, but not the 70s...

Incredible... I've found a number of Ray Charles albums, including one that I should have jumped on, but I never heard of, at Montreux with Diz and Esther Phillips. But it's 1978 and the instrumental track is 'Blowin' the blues away' and if Diz were on it, he'd be obvious. Must try to find that album, Ray, Diz, Esther, Hank, Fathead, Kenny Burrell, Duvivier & Roker and that's all!. It may not be the right record, but you've led me to it, Dan - thanks!

OK, there's a live album from '93, with a few tracks that appear to be instrumentals. On the Jazz Door label, but no personnel listed. Is it this one?

MG

Partially right - the band but not the era of the band.

#9, I figured you to own, MG.

#8 is a little more problematic and I might have over-estimated your knowledge of organists. Key to this one, IMO, is ID-ing the song and composer - that will lead directly to the group if not the recording.

After another listen to #10, this has to be a sixties edition of Ray's big band, because David Newman is the first soloist in the chase. James Clay, with whom I'm not overly fond, is probably the other tenor player. But I don't know where this comes from; it's not on any of the live albums I've got. I'll be interested to see where you did get it from, Dan.

MG

Not correct on James Clay, but you are correct on the era of Ray's band, and on spotting Fathead. (I thought you'd get him straightaway ;) )

ncredible... I've found a number of Ray Charles albums, including one that I should have jumped on, but I never heard of, at Montreux with Diz and Esther Phillips. But it's 1978 and the instrumental track is 'Blowin' the blues away' and if Diz were on it, he'd be obvious. Must try to find that album, Ray, Diz, Esther, Hank, Fathead, Kenny Burrell, Duvivier & Roker and that's all!. It may not be the right record, but you've led me to it, Dan - thanks!

More details please! this sounds like one I need to find, if its a little band like that.

#9, I figured you to own, MG.

#8 is a little more problematic and I might have over-estimated your knowledge of organists. Key to this one, IMO, is ID-ing the song and composer - that will lead directly to the group if not the recording.

ANother try at these, but I'm not getting it. I defintely don't own #9. I'm focusing on Lonnie Smith because of it's eccentric style and tricks, but can't get there.

On #8 the tenor player's smears are terribly familiar and remind me of Conrad Lester. But I think I must have everything he recorded and it's not among my collection. So it's someone else. I'll get there in the end, though maybe after you publish the results :D

MG

Not correct on James Clay, but you are correct on the era of Ray's band, and on spotting Fathead. (I thought you'd get him straightaway ;) )

ncredible... I've found a number of Ray Charles albums, including one that I should have jumped on, but I never heard of, at Montreux with Diz and Esther Phillips. But it's 1978 and the instrumental track is 'Blowin' the blues away' and if Diz were on it, he'd be obvious. Must try to find that album, Ray, Diz, Esther, Hank, Fathead, Kenny Burrell, Duvivier & Roker and that's all!. It may not be the right record, but you've led me to it, Dan - thanks!

More details please! this sounds like one I need to find, if its a little band like that.

I can't find the thing for sale. but here's a link to some site that knows about it.

http://www.catawiki.co.uk/catalog/records-cds-and-vinyl/artists-bands/charles-ray/182139-ray-charles-meets-dizzy-gillespie?area=c77636f49a70ab0ec3c781300daf0cf5a1483e28

Good luck.

MG

Hum... Curtis Amy?

MG

No. Did Curtis ever play with Ray? I'd want to hear that!

Yes. Late 60s I think I remember seeing his name on a personnel list. Ray ALWAYS had Texas tenor players, until Teddy Edwards, I think.

Oh, so not him...

Well, I'm going to buy a buch of Fats Domino CDs - Ace's 5 CDs of his complete Imperial singles - and an Aminata Kamissoko album, before dinner, so I've given up on this for a while.

MG

Tina Brooks on 10?

DING DING DING!

I am guessing Jim that you remembered the discussion five or six years ago when the Ray Charles in Brazil 1963 DVD came out but never actually picked it up? Otherwise I would have guessed you would have taken the time to confirm your suspicion and and post full details.

Can't slip nothing past you guys.... but this is one I thought MG would have and recognize. Actually I am sure he owns it, just didn't think about the chance that I could lift out the audio track and use it in a BFT.

Tina Brooks on 10?

DING DING DING!

I am guessing Jim that you remembered the discussion five or six years ago when the Ray Charles in Brazil 1963 DVD came out but never actually picked it up? Otherwise I would have guessed you would have taken the time to confirm your suspicion and and post full details.

Can't slip nothing past you guys.... but this is one I thought MG would have and recognize. Actually I am sure he owns it, just didn't think about the chance that I could lift out the audio track and use it in a BFT.

Ah...

I don't buy DVDs, so I never knew about this. Jolly good thinking there, Dan.

MG

Tina Brooks on 10?

DING DING DING!

I did pick it up, but I actually didn't like it that much, and sold it. Anyway, remembering that discussion did supply my guess. :) I'm not sure I would have realized that there was no CD release of your chosen track, by the way, so even if I still had the dvd, it might not have occurred to me to reference that. Edited by Jim R

Listening again to track 7, and thinking about the guitar tone and style, the blues flavor, the fact that this guy is probably on Dan's radar due to his work with Turrentine and McDuff... it pointed to this: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-The-Bone-Dave-Stryker/dp/B00003L27I (because of the new software that tweaked the quote function and removed the "my link" feature for url insertions, I no longer understand how to hide the url details)

Chalk another one up for Jim R.

However, for the record, I did not discover Stryker from his playing with Turrentine or McDuff, in fact I do not think I have any recordings of Stryker with those leaders. I discovered him first from this (which might have given a better way to show off his talents if I had thought of it) and also here, which I purchased because of the presence of Brian Lynch and was the second option for a track for this BFT.

(Jim, to hide the URL you need to type 'here' or "this", then highlight the text and click on the chain-link button. Paste the URL in to the field and you get the display above.)

Not Blues In The Closet per the album but maybe the theme was lifted. I'd have to check. The trumpeter is someone I always think folks should automatically know ... but I guess not. ;) Pianist is not OP but I was curious if anyone would lean in that direction. Agree on the drummer and I am thinking about seeking out more of his small-group work.

Well, if that's not "Blues In The Closet", then I'm gonna cry foul (or for Dan, kick dirt on the ump ;)). Sweets on tpt?

Chalk another one up for Jim R.

However, for the record, I did not discover Stryker from his playing with Turrentine or McDuff, in fact I do not think I have any recordings of Stryker with those leaders. I discovered him first from this (which might have given a better way to show off his talents if I had thought of it) and also here, which I purchased because of the presence of Brian Lynch and was the second option for a track for this BFT.

(Jim, to hide the URL you need to type 'here' or "this", then highlight the text and click on the chain-link button. Paste the URL in to the field and you get the display above.)

I did precisely that. Maybe it's a Mac-Chrome thing? Either way, I hate goddamn software tweaks that make things no easier.