BFT 108 Discussion Thread

Dan Gould

15 is striking me as a mid-to-late 50's composition... ...Imagining the tune with a lyric, I have a feeling that the name of the tune could be in the last four syllables (matching the last four notes of the melody).

Dan, do you know if there are lyrics for this tune?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't checked in yet, and now that I have, I'm pretty much wasting space here. I've listened to everything a couple of times, but can't identify anybody, really. And while I enjoyed most everything (there were two tracks which I wasn't crazy about), I somehow find myself without anything intelligent to say about most of it. Most of what follows is a variation on "this swings, and I like it, and I don't know who it is."

1. Well, it sounds like the Messengers, of course: latter-day, but I don’t know the album, personnel, or exact vintage. Good playing all around – I particularly like the strong trombone player. If it ain’t Blakey and Company, it’s someone trying to sound just like them.

2. Wow – cool, fun, and very raw. I don’t know anything about this, but I like it – all the musicians have personality.

3. Some cool, swinging free playing before it turns into “Impressions.” This is one of those tracks where the identity of the tenor player is right at the tip of my brain, if that makes any sense. Nice stuff.

4. O.P.’s “Swinging ‘Til the Girls Come Home.” A good, solid performance – don’t really have anything to say about it beyond that.

5. I like musicians who sound like themselves, so I like the slightly sour-sounding alto player. The trumpet player has a great sound in the Harmon mute, and makes the most of his short solo. This almost sounds like a Mingus group.

6. There are plenty of reasons I like these blindfold tests – but here’s a reason I sometimes don’t. I’m about to go crazy trying to remember the name of this tune. I’ve racked my brain and searched through my records, but I just can’t remember. Time to let it go.

Beautiful tenor sound, and the playing of the rhythm section could be a textbook example of how to accompany a ballad. The pianist gets a little busy during his/her solo, though. Nice little trumpet solo and recap by the tenorist.

7. I love this, from the piano introduction. Respectful of the sanctity of Duke’s piece, but not too much so. These guys turn “Rockin’ in Rhythm” into a totally contemporary experience.

8. Nothing fancy – just a good old gospel waltz. Somebody’s got quite a command over the Hammond. Enjoyed it.

9. Okay, I liked the groove and the soloists well enough, but there was something very artificial about this track to me. A real drummer instead of a drum machine would have helped. And the sampled voices that were part of the keyboard sound freaked me out a little. I found this one a little wearing.

10. Excellent little tenor battle we’ve got here. Hip chart, too – love the stacked fourths, even if that is a little cliché. Again, no ideas.

11. Again, nothing fancy – just some nice funky blues. The piano player reminds me of early Erroll Garner, but is probably not.

12. Nice, unspectacular version of “I’m Beginning to See the Light.” Nothing to add beyond that.

13. Ditto “Old Devil Moon.”

14. This “Ja-Da” swings hard at a tempo which is hard to swing. Beyond that, it’s kind of predictable. It’s tries a little too hard to be greasy for my tastes. YMMV.

15. Another tenor player with a big, individual sound. Good stuff all around, although I got a little bored during the walking bass solo – not many guys can really make that work, in my opinion.

16. More good stuff. Is this early Bud Shank? Anyway, it’s excellent, imaginative playing.

Sorry my contributions are so lame this time around.

After skimming the rest of the thread - I got the name of the Oscar Pettiford tune wrong, and I should have known Eddie Johnson, and I certainly should have known "Blue Star."

My first reaction on hearing #2 was that the alto player had that South African style happening, but I chickened out from saying so.

This BFT was not my finest hour.

Jeff,

Even though you didn't have many solid guesses its still interesting to see how musicians respond to the tunes I select. I do think you'll be surprised by some of the reveals but I'm curious if you went with the "South African style" thought about the first tune, would it lead you anywhere solid? And, since I'm still waiting on a tune ID there - can you come up with it?

Here's the hint: composed by a board favorite during his first three-LP artistic peak, it appeared on the only album in that trio of recordings where he shared the front line with another soloist.

Here's the hint: composed by a board favorite during his first three-LP artistic peak, it appeared on the only album in that trio of recordings where he shared the front line with another soloist.

Either nobody cares or my hint isn't clear enough. So, in hopes of sparking some sort of further discussion before my BFT mercifully ends, here's the hint for track 2:

The composer is Hank Mobley. The tune appears on one of his famous LPs recorded between 1960 and 1961.

Very helpful clue, thanks Dan. The tune is 'A Baptist beat' from 'Roll call'.

It's not Hank Mobley's version, neither of them on the CD. The only version I've been able to research with the right instrumentation is by a trumpet player called Al Pearson, from his 1997 album called ''Bout time' on the BLD label. Pearson's a Kansas City musician, so I don't know why Hot Ptah hasn't identified him, unless it's NOT Al Pearson :D

I had a shufti on You Tube, since you were so sneaky about including a bit of a DVD, and found a couple of live versions by a Dutch combo called the Beets Brothers (Beets pronounced 'bates'), but it was just a quartet.

So I'm going for Al Pearson.

MG

DING. (Only one ding given since I practically gave it away. :g

It's not Hank Mobley's version, neither of them on the CD. The only version I've been able to research with the right instrumentation is by a trumpet player called Al Pearson, from his 1997 album called ''Bout time' on the BLD label. Pearson's a Kansas City musician, so I don't know why Hot Ptah hasn't identified him, unless it's NOT Al Pearson :D

I had a shufti on You Tube, since you were so sneaky about including a bit of a DVD, and found a couple of live versions by a Dutch combo called the Beets Brothers (Beets pronounced 'bates'), but it was just a quartet.

Good thought, I guess, except for the fact that the sound is so bad it would have to be an old video with added "LP ambience" effects. :g

Good research - I didn't have any possibilities from the title on AMG - but ... not Al Pearson.

DING. (Only one ding given since I practically gave it away. :g

Good thought, I guess, except for the fact that the sound is so bad it would have to be an old video with added "LP ambience" effects. :g

Good research - I didn't have any possibilities from the title on AMG - but ... not Al Pearson.

So that's why HP didn't get it :D

MG

As usual, I am chiming in at the 11th hour... and I only have a partial list here, but I will just post what I have for now. Haven't cheated and looked back at anything in the thread yet. Thanks for putting this together Dan, some great stuff!

--

Track 1 - I like the tune, and the shuffle feel, alternating with the afro-latin thing. For me, each horn solo was better than the preceding one. I felt the trumpet solo was a bit too "by the numbers," but by the time we get to the tenor solo, things are really cooking. Obviously Blakey is an influence on this performance. No guesses on this one though.
Track 2 - LOVE the sound of the horns on the head...man! This may sound funny, but it actually reminds me a bit of Rahsaan playing multiple horns at once. Wow...that is one crazy tenor sound on the first solo...awesome. Nice trumpet solo too. Aha...2 tenors? I should know this, but I have no guesses. Am dying to know.
Track 3 - The drummer sounds really familiar to me. Ahh...Impressions. To be honest this version doesn't do a whole lot for me. Nothing against it, I would just rather listen to Trane.
Track 4 - Blues in the Closet...I have always liked this tune. Simple, but perfect. There are bits of the trumpet solo that remind me of Clark Terry, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws here. Damn, nice piano playing too. And the rhythm section is really cookin'.
Track 5 - Beautiful sax playing and tone, this has got to be one of the old school guys. Too bad about the skips. No guesses on this one.
Track 7 - Rockin' in Rhythm...fantastic tune. Loved the piano intro, but not totally crazy about the arrangement after that, to be honest. Just not my thing.
Track 11 - Five stars on this one, and the piano player has got to be Oscar Peterson.
Track 12 - I'm Beginning to See the Light...great interpretation of this tune. Nice & easy feel...these guys are in the pocket.
Track 13 - Ole Devil Moon...reminded of Ahmad Jamal at first of course, just because his version is so iconic. Don't know who the piano player is here, but I want to know. Terrific solo, but wish it were longer.
Track 15 - Holy crap...LOVE the tenor player. This has gotta be someone I know, but I can't guess. Love the approach and the sound though, just perfect. I was frustrated that there wasn't more solo time though. Was this a live broadcast and that's why it had to be short? In any case, I need to find out who this is.

'Roll call' was not issued until August 1961 - this gig was done in '62. Can't find out when the Cold Castle Lager festivals were held, but probably not in winter, so early or late in '62. Got hold of this quickly, didn't they?

I note that there's no personnel list on the reverse of the sleeve. Wouldn't like trying to guess who's on this cut.

Funny, I've seen this but, as I'm not particularly fond of various artist compilations, didn't get it. Also the name Chris McGregor didn't help much. Not my cuppa.

MG

a compilation from a festival with one band featuring Chris McGregor, one featuring Dudu Pukwana (and Nick Mokaye), one featuring Kippie Moeketsi, one featuring Louis Moholo, one featuring Mongezi Feza... looks like an "important catalyst"

http://www.flatinternational.org/template_volume.php?volume_id=119

Edited by Niko

MG, I didn't even wonder when the Mobley LP was released, I just knew that they had jumped on that title pretty quickly.

NIko's link was my source for the details too.

I honestly can't say that the track makes me want to hear more of these guys, its just that I stumbled across it when I was working on my BFT and the combination of tune and artists made it the proverbial 'no-brainer'.

THE JAZZ GIANTS
Dudu Pukwana - alto sax
Goodman "Tete" Mbambisa - piano
Martin Mgijima - bass
Early Mabuza - drums
Nick Moyake - tenor sax
Elija Nkwayane - trumpet

And that explains everything, then. Jazz is probably more "African" than it is anything else, but "African"is not "jazz", any more than a root is an apple. These guys are having to "guess" at where the "blue notes" are, just because the African-American Experience ended up moving them in a different place than they were in the Motherland (never mind were they "blue" in the first place?). But never - never, NEVER, would I think that these players were "white" or any other kind of "European", for no other reason than the odds would overwhelmingly have those guys putting them in the right place but not really "knowing" why they went there.

Going forth, all such bets are incrementally but increasingly off. But this was 1962, so, different...everything.

Wow. Fascinating cut.

Edited by JSngry

a compilation from a festival with one band featuring Chris McGregor, one featuring Dudu Pukwana (and Nick Mokaye), one featuring Kippie Moeketsi, one featuring Louis Moholo, one featuring Mongezi Feza... looks like an "important catalyst"

http://www.flatinternational.org/template_volume.php?volume_id=119

Thanks for posting that link Niko.

MG

As usual, I am chiming in at the 11th hour... and I only have a partial list here, but I will just post what I have for now. Haven't cheated and looked back at anything in the thread yet. Thanks for putting this together Dan, some great stuff!

--

Track 1 - I like the tune, and the shuffle feel, alternating with the afro-latin thing. For me, each horn solo was better than the preceding one. I felt the trumpet solo was a bit too "by the numbers," but by the time we get to the tenor solo, things are really cooking. Obviously Blakey is an influence on this performance. No guesses on this one though.
Track 2 - LOVE the sound of the horns on the head...man! This may sound funny, but it actually reminds me a bit of Rahsaan playing multiple horns at once. Wow...that is one crazy tenor sound on the first solo...awesome. Nice trumpet solo too. Aha...2 tenors? I should know this, but I have no guesses. Am dying to know.
Well, MG cracked the case above.
Track 3 - The drummer sounds really familiar to me. Ahh...Impressions. To be honest this version doesn't do a whole lot for me. Nothing against it, I would just rather listen to Trane.
Track 4 - Blues in the Closet...I have always liked this tune. Simple, but perfect. There are bits of the trumpet solo that remind me of Clark Terry, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws here. Damn, nice piano playing too. And the rhythm section is really cookin'.
Track 5 - Beautiful sax playing and tone, this has got to be one of the old school guys. Too bad about the skips. No guesses on this one.
There's a skip? I wasn't aware of any encoding problem and its CD-sourced. Anyway, this was ID'd, a great date everyone should own.
Track 7 - Rockin' in Rhythm...fantastic tune. Loved the piano intro, but not totally crazy about the arrangement after that, to be honest. Just not my thing.
Track 11 - Five stars on this one, and the piano player has got to be Oscar Peterson.
Not OP. This one has not been ID'd unless I missed something.
Track 12 - I'm Beginning to See the Light...great interpretation of this tune. Nice & easy feel...these guys are in the pocket.
Track 13 - Ole Devil Moon...reminded of Ahmad Jamal at first of course, just because his version is so iconic. Don't know who the piano player is here, but I want to know. Terrific solo, but wish it were longer.
Track 15 - Holy crap...LOVE the tenor player. This has gotta be someone I know, but I can't guess. Love the approach and the sound though, just perfect. I was frustrated that there wasn't more solo time though. Was this a live broadcast and that's why it had to be short? In any case, I need to find out who this is.

Yes, it was a live broadcast. But no tenor. Was this meant for track 16?

Tim, thanks for joining in and playing along. Hope you get a chance on the missing tracks before the reveal.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 2 weeks later...

With thousands of apologies to Dan for taking forfreakinever to get to this, because I always look forward to a Dan Gould BFT and feel particularly bad that I didn't get any time to supply the usual meanderings & shenanigans.

And especially because there's one track on here that I suspect he put on here thinking no one would remember its backstory. But *I* do!!! :g

Once again, it should be quite obvious that I not only haven't looked at the answers, but also haven't looked at anyone else's guesses either (the mystery track, notwithstanding)!

Track 1: Off with a bang! A big bang! A big band with a big bang! Say that fast five times! OH HEY that sounds like Stanley Turrentine! Or a huge fan of the man! GREAT way to start a BFT!

Track 2: Somebody say AMEN!!! No clue on any of the players, but I love the spiritual feel to this!

Track 3: Crud!!! I bet I have this at home. Or used to have it. Sounds like that Sonny Stitt record on Verve with Jo Jones. NEW YORK somethingorother. If that's the case, self-kicking will commence shortly! Okay, never mind, now that "Impressions" has started, my rear-end is saved from a momentary beating!

Track 4: Herb Ellis, leadoff track from ELLIS IN WONDERLAND. I only know this cuz I have it, but haven't listened to it in ages. Needs to remedy that quickly. By God, ANYTHING with Sweets is sweet, and this is no exception! Still, I'm just tickled that I actually recognize something from my collection on a BFT!

Track 5: Johnny Hodges. Maybe something from his 1951-1955 Verve years? Those years never made much of an impression on me, and this song is a good example why. Everyone sounds bored.

Track 6: More Ellingtonia! Sounds like Paul Gonsalves & Clark Terry.

Track 7: Even more Ellingtonia! I recognize the tune as "Rockin' in Rhythm," but don't recognize the guitarist. I like his sound, though!

Track 8: Sheesh, no ide.... wait, I bet this is Gene Harris on the organ! MORE than sufficiently greeeazy! Fred Jackson on tenor, or some other good ol' blues wailer!

Track 9: I don't care who this is, that groove is absolutely KILLING ME!!!! Must find source of this one! Dan, this is starting to remind me of the first BFT I ever did, where the last half was nothing but greeeeaze! It's either Gene Harris or Wild Bill Davis. WHOA!!! Love that fake ending!!! I like this track so much I'm gonna listen to it again before moving on to the next one!

Track 10: Ahhh, God bless Jug and Sonny! Even if this ain't them, the statement still applies! But I think it's them!

Track 11: I am willing to bet the house that this is the famous acetate of Gene Harris' very first recording that Dan received from Mrs. Gene Harris some years back. At least that's how my memory remembers the story. I have no doubt that Dan will gladly retell this story in the reveal or maybe even during the discussion. All's I know is, whatta treat to hear this again! I seem to recall that Dan made this available to those who asked for it and I don't know what happened to my copy, so I am *very* thankful to have this back again!

Track 12: Pretty sure this is also Gene Harris, this time with the Three Sounds, and I'm pretty confident (although not bet-the-house confident) that this is from MOODS. I know I've heard this version: that bass statement of the chorus is unmistakable!

Track 13: Aw, what the heck? Gene Harris again! Even if it ain't, the odds are in my favor, right? RIGHT??? The cool thing about Harris is that not only does he have a sound that is as beautiful and original as it gets, but I don't know that anyone ever tried to ape him like they tried to ape Horace Silver or Bill Evans or Red Garland; yet his sound is like a combination of all three. Nifty trick that!

Track 14: More Gene Harris! This sounds like early 70's Harris, or maybe one of his gospel records for Concord (of which, I'm ashamed to say, I have zilch).

Track 15: Aw geez, I should know this one. That sax sound is SO freakin' familiar! DUHHHHH!!! Well, the applause at the end suggests that maybe, just maybe, this is a private recording and I need not feel so dumb. Nahhhh, I still feel dumb for not recognizing the sax player!

Track 16: Bird. What the heck? I'm all guessed out, and I could see Dan putting a Bird tune on here just to mess with us. That's why I like his BFT's: they can be such complete mindfreaks and I love it when that happens!

Well Dan, another fine BFT, and not once did I have to drag out any of the dreaded DKDC™ or HAFC™ acronyms, a first for one of us! Now to look at the discussion and feel dumb, and then the answers to feel REAL dumb! :lol

Track 4: Herb Ellis, leadoff track from ELLIS IN WONDERLAND. I only know this cuz I have it, but haven't listened to it in ages. Needs to remedy that quickly. By God, ANYTHING with Sweets is sweet, and this is no exception! Still, I'm just tickled that I actually recognize something from my collection on a BFT!

But Al, there's no guitar on this track. :wacko: :wacko: Good call on Sweets though, most didn't get him.

Track 11: I am willing to bet the house that this is the famous acetate of Gene Harris' very first recording that Dan received from Mrs. Gene Harris some years back. At least that's how my memory remembers the story. I have no doubt that Dan will gladly retell this story in the reveal or maybe even during the discussion. All's I know is, whatta treat to hear this again! I seem to recall that Dan made this available to those who asked for it and I don't know what happened to my copy, so I am *very* thankful to have this back again!

Well played, sir - nobody else remembered this one but you did. :tup I do have to say however that I didn't get it from Janie Harris, I rescued it off Ebay for $2 and sent a transfer to both her and sole surviving member of the band Bill Dowdy.

Al, no worries on the lateness of the comments, they were worth the wait, as they always are. Glad you liked most everything on the disc.

But Al, there's no guitar on this track. :wacko: :wacko: Good call on Sweets though, most didn't get him.

Well played, sir - nobody else remembered this one but you did. :tup I do have to say however that I didn't get it from Janie Harris, I rescued it off Ebay for $2 and sent a transfer to both her and sole surviving member of the band Bill Dowdy.

Al, no worries on the lateness of the comments, they were worth the wait, as they always are. Glad you liked most everything on the disc.

My pleasure, my man! It was a treat to listen to it again today. I had a chance to listen to it while driving around earlier in the month and heard the Harris acetate and had every intention of commenting on at least that track, and then life got in the way as it always seems to do. :)

I have NO idea how/why I thought I heard a guitar on track 4! I must've been so confident in my guess that I didn't even bother to listen for Ellis! :D

• 1 month later...

Whoo! Late to the dance for this one, too, but THOROUGHLY enjoyed this one!

1. Sounds like Alvin Queen’s band to me. Nice, brassy, hard bop trumpet sound, and that shuffle is WORKING! If the whole test is like this, this is going to be FUN! Odd reaction to the alto. Seems like a lot of head in there, but a firm basis in heart and soul, like maybe an older player revisiting. Pure love the ‘bone solo – to the point, not bullshit! Love it! Great exchange from ‘bone to tenor. Tenor seems to be a younger, post-Trane guy, a little hung up on what he can do, but he executes it. Maybe Craig Handy? Could be a CB3 project, too. Piano is the first guy not really resonating for me. This has the sound/feel of the live OTB record from way back. In fact, that now has me thinking that could be Ralph Bowen on tenor. This track is a keeper.
  2. Not sure what it’s called here, but I recognize it as A Baptist Beat as it was recorded on Hank Mobley’s ROLL CALL. This seems maybe a bit older than that, though, so I’m going to steer away from the track. The sloppiness has me thinking South African, but there’s a lot of old school American Jazz in the ideas. Perhaps my impression that this is older is just because of the terrible sound? What it lacks in technique they’re filling in with soul. I can’t say I love it, but I appreciate the hell out of it. Almost sounds like Don Byas in terms of tone, but maybe more like a hungover DB… I can’t help it, I like it!
  3. Modern, recordable tenor sound. I’m not sold early on, despite the impressive chops. This actually reminds me of a cut off of another BFT from the past year, and I had the same issue (though I think that was a straight duet). Just make me care, that’s all I ask. There’s nothing wrong with this, I’m just indifferent to it. And, it’s obviously Impressions, but I don’t find enough individuality in the bad ass to make a guess.
  4. Brain fart on the title, but it’s the Red Garland tune, right? This already has what the last tune was lacking. Love the quotes of Gene Ammons done on trumpet. Nothing earth shattering, just a good ol’ fashioned ass-kicking jam session. I wanna say Poppa Jo on drums, but seems a bit too busy at times. Very snappy, though. Piano is doing just what he should – accenting, adding, not getting in the way, and supporting. THIS is what the conservatories should be focusing on! No flash – none necessary. MORE! This cooks like hell! Almost strikes me as Oscar Peterson on a very laid-back day. Now he sounds like Basie. Just trying to make me crazy. Could by Roy Eldridge, but sounds too sane. Joe Newman? Digging the hell out of it whoever it is. Boy, that sure sounds like Poppa Jo to me, I just can’t commit to the guess. WINNING!
  5. Instant love. Reminds me of one of those Abdullah Ibrahim ballads from the duet record with Shepp. Powerful alto with a little bit of an FU edge – sort of like Bunky Green. Sing it! Absolutely loving every fiber of this. Only wish there’d been a nice extended solo from that alto. Total winner.
  6. Have some beef with that tone! Wait a minute… isn’t this the same tune? Piano is a little overdone… doesn’t seem like a guy playing in his native style. Sounds like Joe Bonner playing in the old ballad style. Love that trumpet sound. BEASTLY tenor! I swear I know that sound, but something is very out of context, here. This guy is an animal and I’m going to kick my own ass when I see who it is.
  7. A little Tyner-ism – I’m in. This almost suffers from too much technique, but that pianist is bad ass. Rockin’ in Rhythm (or is this Kinda Dukish – damned iPod is killing my ability to name songs!). Great tune, either way. I’m not crazy about the guitar lead, but that’s more about my preferences and biases than what he’s doing. Alto solo works better than I wanted it to (Duke is sacred to me). Some moments of Arthur Blythe, but definitely not him. Arrangement is good; pays homage to Duke but does it’s own thing. This will get me in trouble, but what it most does is make me want to go break out one of Duke’s versions and blast it ‘til the neighbors call Johnny Law!
  8. Goin’ to church in 3! I’m not made of wood – you got me! Has that same call-and-response thing of track 2. I like the solo, but it seems to be a second-tier player to me; he just doesn’t quite execute some of those double-time runs. More an observation than a critique, but this isn’t going to be a Booker Ervin guy, but one of those other guys we know less about. Guitar grabs the groove and continues the feel. This actually reminds me a lot of the feel of William Parker’s Uncle Joe’s Spirit House; has that same churchy feel, but with a very grounded, unshowy approach. This organist is filthy! They’re so tight on the out-chorus! Man! Tim Webb THIS is precisely what the setlist needs. The Barley Pub crowd would shit a fuzzy snake if we whipped out something like this!
  9. “Dimi… why you do this to me? Why Dimi?” This hurts parts of my soul I didn’t know existed. I’m actually intrigued to see how we’re going to get 7:42 out of this without me taking at least one life. 2:09… can’t do it. Just why.
  10. I don’t know what this is, but I love it. With stuff like this out there, there is no need for that last track to exist. This fires on all cylanders and could be listening jazz, soundtrack, shopping, whatever you needs. No idea what it is, but there is NOTHING wrong with this track. Here’s a thought: Where’d the ability to create meaningful, thoughtful, melodic ideas at fast tempos go to? Whoever belonged to that “Aaah!” you SAID it!
  11. Nothing fancy, just right IN it. No idea, but I need this. Early on, I was thinking Art Pepper on tenor, but it’s too control.
  12. I’m Beginning to See the Light. Between that right hand and the growling, I have to guess it’s Fatha Hines. Or is that the drummer grunting away? Short, sweet, to the point. Keeper.
  13. Old Devil Moon. Instantly liking this. I can’t explain why, just that it has a feel that is just right. The phrasing is just affected enough to work without being over the top. It really sings this song. Another keeper. This has been one of the best BFTs I can remember. I count one dog, thus far, and that’s purely on account of my electronic anti-bias.
  14. This is nice, but it seems like it’s trying too hard to be what the last track was, and it just doesn’t do it quite as well. I like it, but it’s not holding my interest. Seems like one of those Concord Jazz throwback recordings, but doesn’t quite reach the level of the original stuff it’s trying to emulate.
  15. I’m all in within 15 seconds. This does EVERYTHING and more the last track failed to do for me. Gunslinging tenor, nice, smoky feel behind it all. Man, that’s a bad man on tenor. Got a little bit of a honky tonk feel in some of that. Maybe Red Holloway? This is unapologetically cool. Man! Who IS that fat bastard?! Love it!
  16. Nice set ender. Has that Clarke-Boland feel, except that the drummer rushes the time a bit. Caps this set off nicely, though. Sounds like Lou Donaldson to me – bluesy with chops, but with that nice, dry timbre to the tone.

Absolutely ballsy set! Thanks, Dan!

Late to the party but right on time. :crazy:

Seriously though Thom, I was so pleased that you wanted a download because you always have intriguing things to say, and you didn't disappoint. Would you like me to dig out my earliest BFTs so you can give them a listen too? ;)