Johnny Lytle - Soulful Rebel/People in Love

Head Man

Seems like DustyGroove are re-issuing this as a 'twofer' in late March.

lytle_johnn_soulfulre_102b.jpg

"Two lost smokers from vibes legend Johnny Lytle – both very different than anything else he ever recorded! The Soulful Rebel has a great blend of Hammond and Fender Rhodes along with the vibes – soaring out in a massively funky sextet with bass from Ron Carter and congas from Ray Barretto – both of whom take Johnny's earlier groove into a 70s jazz funk mode! People & Love is even more impressive – and has Lytle's vibes working with sublime larger arrangements – in a style that's like Bobby Hutcherson on mid 70s Blue Note, or Milt Jackson on CTI!"

Edited by Head Man

When Dusty Groove first posted their wave of Concord releases which also includes the Wayne Henderson produced Allspice and Larry Williams, Ahmed Abdul-Malik's Spellbound was part of the batch. Unfortunately, they removed it after a week. I hope it is still forthcoming and there is no issue with the master tapes.

• 1 month later...

Dusty Groove (in partnership with Real Gone Music) has three more reissues from the Concord vaults scheduled for July 2: Ahmed Abdul Malik - Spellbound, Stan Hunter & Sonny Fortune - Trip On The Strip and George Braith - Musart. To my knowledge, none of these have been on CD before.

'Trip on the strip' isn't an extraordinary record, but it's likeable. (I've contemplated putting a track in a BFT several times, but it's never made it.)

'Musart' IS an extraordinary album. It's my favourite of Braith's '60s albums. But it's kind of gentle and low key, no fireworks. But, over the years, it's lasted for me.

MG

While we're at Lytle: Has anyone heard this Pacific Jazz album that's due for reissue in late April:

51pOxJ-8-nL._SL500_.jpg71ljQYR-SoL._AA1500_.jpg

Seems like DustyGroove are re-issuing this as a 'twofer' in late March.

lytle_johnn_soulfulre_102b.jpg

"Two lost smokers from vibes legend Johnny Lytle – both very different than anything else he ever recorded! The Soulful Rebel has a great blend of Hammond and Fender Rhodes along with the vibes – soaring out in a massively funky sextet with bass from Ron Carter and congas from Ray Barretto – both of whom take Johnny's earlier groove into a 70s jazz funk mode! People & Love is even more impressive – and has Lytle's vibes working with sublime larger arrangements – in a style that's like Bobby Hutcherson on mid 70s Blue Note, or Milt Jackson on CTI!"

The Dusty Groove website says it's "Just sold out"! :o

• 4 years later...