Jazz records without bass or drums. Or piano.

David Ayers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gazillion Guitar duet albums.

One not mentioned is Emily Remler/Larry Coryell - Together.

But in terms laid out by the OP, these are really the equivalent of Piano/Guitar or Piano Duet albums, such as perhaps the Larry Young/Joe Chambers Keyboard duets.

What would be interesting guitar wise, would be duets where one guitar didn't fall into the default piano/harmony role. There are possibly examples of such a more fluid encounter. Joe Morris and someone maybe? Plenty of Derek Bailey collaborations must meet the criteria. Sonny Sharrock dueting with himself on Guitar. String Trio Of New York, Oh that's got Bass. Did Billy Bang do any duets or trio's that count?

Also James Blood Ulmer's - Harmolodic Guitar With Strings, Ornette's - Skies Of America?

Did Abdul Wadud, Arthur Blythe and Bob Stewart have a trio at one time?

Joe Morris did a 4 CD set with Braxton

But in terms laid out by the OP, these are really the equivalent of Piano/Guitar or Piano Duet albums, such as perhaps the Larry Young/Joe Chambers Keyboard duets.

What would be interesting guitar wise, would be duets where one guitar didn't fall into the default piano/harmony role. There are possibly examples of such a more fluid encounter. Joe Morris and someone maybe? Plenty of Derek Bailey collaborations must meet the criteria. Sonny Sharrock dueting with himself on Guitar. String Trio Of New York, Oh that's got Bass. Did Billy Bang do any duets or trio's that count?

Also James Blood Ulmer's - Harmolodic Guitar With Strings, Ornette's - Skies Of America?

That's what I was possibly remembering. I knew he'd have done something (at least) that fitted the bill :D

I will mention some of the Joe Maneri discs:

Blessing duo with his son Mat on violin and/or viola

I think if you can deal with Barre Phillips on bass, Out Right Now on hatology is very fine - also with Mat as he is on most of Joe's recordings.

I still say the best Joe Maneri discs have a drummer - but alas he is unlike anyone else I know - Randy Peterson

but if you are bored with some of what you have been listening to - I think many of us have been there - I think taking a shot at what I have always called 'Maneri Music' might be a good idea.

and the best of them might be 'Dahabenzapple', 'Coming Down the Mountain' and his last recording, the astounding 'Going to Church' - all have bass and drums

for reeds, violin and drums - there is a great double live CD set on Leo - maybe that might work for you.

That's what I was possibly remembering. I knew he'd have done something (at least) that fitted the bill :D

I can't recall Blythe recording with that trio alone, he had drums or percussion. Steve Reid is on The Grip and Metamorphosis. Skies of America has everything, including drums.

I will mention some of the Joe Maneri discs:

Blessing duo with his son Mat on violin and/or viola

I think if you can deal with Barre Phillips on bass, Out Right Now on hatology is very fine - also with Mat as he is on most of Joe's recordings.

I still say the best Joe Maneri discs have a drummer - but alas he is unlike anyone else I know - Randy Peterson

but if you are bored with some of what you have been listening to - I think many of us have been there - I think taking a shot at what I have always called 'Maneri Music' might be a good idea.

and the best of them might be 'Dahabenzapple', 'Coming Down the Mountain' and his last recording, the astounding 'Going to Church' - all have bass and drums

for reeds, violin and drums - there is a great double live CD set on Leo - maybe that might work for you.

Oh I know my Maneri's - mostly with bass and usually drums, IIRC... nice try, nice try...

trying, trying

me - I'm still crazy for drums - my number one factor outside the leader of a band to decide if I go see the band live...

despite the fact that I listen to quite a bit of Keith Rowe et al, eai, etc. but I veer towards the loder more expressive end of that spectrum as the real quiet stuff almost gives me a headache or reminds me that my hearing at 52 isn't what it was at 32.

Did Billy Bang do any duets or trio's that count?

R-3647249-1338748666-1198.jpeg

Nothing shows up for me, Clifford. And when I try to go to properties, the images that come up are too small for me to figure out.

Huh; it's fine for me here... anyway, Billy Bang & Charles Tyler "Live at Green Space" duo on Anima, if it's still invisible.

next step might be Keith Rowe, et al

AMM are pretty far from "jazz" but if you're willing to cast that net, sure... a lot of Company recordings and at least half of the Bead Records catalogue would also fit.

Did Billy Bang do any duets or trio's that count?

R-3647249-1338748666-1198.jpeg

Nothing shows up for me, Clifford. And when I try to go to properties, the images that come up are too small for me to figure out.

Huh; it's fine for me here... anyway, Billy Bang & Charles Tyler "Live at Green Space" duo on Anima, if it's still invisible.

>next step might be Keith Rowe, et al

AMM are pretty far from "jazz" but if you're willing to cast that net, sure... a lot of Company recordings and at least half of the Bead Records catalogue would also fit.

Thanks. I see it now.

I always think AMM's Live in Allentown is the best entry point - maybe as it was the entry point for me into what I consider another aspect of improvised music.

I had to learn to not listen for the individual musicians and once I adapted, a whole new soundworld opened up for me

yesterdaye ended up playing disc 1 of:

Keith Rowe / Sachiko M / Toshimaru Nakamura / Otomo Yoshihide - erstlive 005

a few of us used to call this amazing 3 CD set 'the inaccessable document'

Edited by Steve Reynolds