Janet Jackson showing tit at the halftime show.

But sexual innuendo and female nudity, apparently, are just fine with CBS and the NFL, even dropped without warning in front of kids who can't buy certain CDs or get into many movies without consent of their parents. And why would they care anyway, given that the woman who was being pursued on stage like an animal in heat and consented to being degraded was black and the man doing the degradation was white? Imagine the hue and cry had that been, say, rapper 50 Cent ripping off Hilary Duff's top.

What crap.

Here's a big difference ... Hillary Duff is, I believe, still under 18 and she's famous for making kid-friendly fare like "Lizzie McGuire" on one of the kid cable channels.

Janet Jackson is an adult, well-known for her provocative approach to entertainment, who has sung in the past about enjoying S&M.

A better comparison would have been 50 Cent tearing off, say, Britney Spears' top ... and does anyone really thing THAT would have raised any kind of racist "hue and cry"?

Of course not!

Edited by Chrome

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a big difference ... Hillary Duff is, I believe, still under 18 and she's famous for making kid-friendly fare like "Lizzie McGuire" on one of the kid cable channels.

For now, but so were Britney & Christina at one time. I guarantee you she'll go through the same thing as her pre-teen pop-queen predecessors did: start out cute & family friendly, then begin the slow "metamorphosis" into young-adult pop-slut. Think it’s an accident that Duff’s latest (and I guess only at this point) CD bears that title?

Also, it's no accident that Duff's album cover closely resembles that of Britney’s latest album:

g02011amkr7.jpg

g07943axjgg.jpg

Re most pop singers: I prefer their tits to their music.

You know, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people feel the same way.

Music? What music? :blink:

I can't even name one of her albums! :lol:

And if they wouldn't be dancin' around all the time in sexy outfits nobody would watch their video clips either - I bet most just wait for some intentional wardrobe malfunction to occur :ph34r::excited:

Excises 'ER' Breast Scene

Thu February 5, 2004 02:26 AM ET

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Days after Janet Jackson shocked the nation by baring her breast during the Super Bowl, NBC has agreed to edit out a brief shot of an 80-year-old woman's breast from Thursday night's episode of medical drama "ER" -- to the chagrin of the show's executive producer.

In the scene, the breast is visible for less than two seconds in the background of a scene where doctors are giving the woman emergency care. The network's decision to adjust the scene to obscure the bare breast drew a strong rebuke from "ER" executive producer John Wells, who said it sent a bad message.

NBC's decision was finalized late Tuesday, two days after the Super Bowl halftime stunner in which Jackson bared her breast during a performance with Justin Timberlake. The incident has spurred a national debate about indecency on television and triggered an investigation by the FCC.

"In consultation with our affiliate board we have asked 'ER' to remove a shot of an exposed breast of an 80-year-old woman receiving emergency care," NBC said. "Though we continue to believe the shot is appropriate and in context, and would have aired after 10:30 p.m. Eastern and Pacific time, we have unfortunately concluded that the atmosphere created by this week's events has made it too difficult for many of our affiliates to air this shot."

While the final decision on the "ER" shot came a few days after the Jackson incident, Roger Ogden, general manager of NBC affiliate KUSA-TV in Denver and chairman of the NBC affiliate board, said that affiliates had been concerned about the propriety of the scene for several weeks. NBC executives first showed the scene in question to the affiliate board during a meeting at NATPE in Las Vegas last month.

"In looking at it myself, it wasn't something that ... felt totally out of context. It was very brief and it wasn't something that would've shocked you if you're watching the show as a normal person," Ogden said.

Nevertheless, after a number of affiliates raised serious concerns, Ogden said the affiliate board notified NBC early this week that "we thought it wasn't in the best interest of the network or the affiliates to include the shot," Ogden said.

"ER" executive producer Wells said his objection to editing the breast out of the shot came out of concern about artistic freedom rather than the specifics of that particular scene.

"It's really not about this," Wells said. "We could've easily cut the small piece of the breast and it does no damage to the show whatsoever. But the chilling effect of having this one incident now affect programming content across all the networks, that's what I'm concerned about."

Wells added that he felt a certain obligation as the steward of a hit network show to take a stand on the matter.

"It makes you ask those questions about other things that might be perceived to be controversial," Wells said. "Should you talk about sexually transmitted disease among teenagers? Should you be dealing with certain types of violence and the effects of that violence? And while on a show like 'ER,' where we have the success to not bow to too much of that pressure, (for) pilots and newer shows that don't feel as confident in their future, it will be very difficult for them to stand up to questions from the studio or their network about them."

For now, but so were Britney & Christina at one time. I guarantee you she'll go through the same thing as her pre-teen pop-queen predecessors did: start out cute & family friendly, then begin the slow "metamorphosis" into young-adult pop-slut. Think it’s an accident that Duff’s latest (and I guess only at this point) CD bears that title?

I totally agree with what you're saying ... but as the situation stands now, the original writer's choice of Duff to make a point smacks of someone trying to play the "race card" for ulterior purposes.

Regarding young-adult pop-sluts, I've got an 11-year-old daughter and watching the shows she watches has been quite an eye-opener, so to speak. I can't believe what some of these girls wear ... or don't. Has anyone seen "The Amanda Show" on Nick? A regular feature is Amanda and a guest spending some time together in her hot tub!?!?

Edited by Chrome

Re most pop singers: I prefer their tits to their music.

You know, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people feel the same way.

Music? What music? :blink:

I can't even name one of her albums! :lol:

And what's the other pop icon's name?? :blink::rolleyes:

Jordan Lumbertruck?

Johnson Limberdick?

Jason Timberdork?

Britney and Christina met when both were Mousketeers.

Yup, and Duff's career started out on the Disney Channel as well. Trend? ;) B)

Chrome, points well taken; it's one of the main reasons I refuse to get cable. Perhaps the writer just used the first name that popped into his head.

Edited by Big Al

I totally agree with what you're saying ... but as the situation stands now, the original writer's choice of Duff to make a point smacks of someone trying to play the "race card" for ulterior purposes.

It's obvious to me that our world-views are so different that discussion of this is probably pointless, but my first reaction to your comments is "how naive". The "race card" is always in play in this country, whether anyone mentions it or not. And the idea that reaction wouldn't be far more vociferous if it had been 50 Cent and Hillary Duff rather than Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake just amazes me. No, you wouldn't hear the cries about the "sullying of our white women by the mongrel races" (at least not in public), but the reaction would be even stronger, and the blame would be laid solely at the feet of 50 Cent, whereas reaction in this case seems to blame Janet Jackson more than Justin Timberlake. I'm happy for you that you live in a circle that isn't exposed to racism on a daily basis, but perhaps you need to widen your exposure a bit...

And the idea that reaction wouldn't be far more vociferous if it had been 50 Cent and Hillary Duff rather than Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake just amazes me.

Pointless or not, my, uh, point was that the reaction would be MUCH more explosive if it were 50 Cent/Duff because of the way people view Duff.

If it were 50 Cent/Spears, which I think is a much better comparison, there would be much less negative, racist reaction because of the way most people view Spears.

On the other hand, despite being exposed to just about every "-ism" imaginable through my work, I am probably a little naive ... I still do have trouble believing/understanding that grown adults can be so hung up on race.

It's a race issue alright, the race to keep sellin' those CDs and of course, keep the popularity of the alleged pop artist(s) alive, especially in Janet Jackson's case. She's in that "flavor of the month" industry where all of the artists have an eventual "expiration date".. And good press or bad press is better than no press... B)

The reaction over a Duff/HalfBuck pairing would be a howl for two reasons: 1)She's about 16 years old!, 2) She presents quite a different image from Janet Jackson(at least to this point!). Thus far, Duff has done innocuous television shows(I've watched every episode of Lizzie McGuire with my 11-year old son, and there is nothing at all objectionable about them- they're even funny sometimes), some movies that are also innocent, and some candy-coated pop music(She is similar to Janet Jackson in one respect- her singing voice is thin and weak.)

Janet Jackson wears outfits that look like S&M gear, and I watched part of one of her concerts on HBO once where she did what amounted to a lap dance on one of the audience members. Given that, it's not a big surprise that she would do something like pop a boobie. A few years from now, maybe Duff will go down that road, but for now she's not like that.

Spears and HalfBuck would not create a hue & cry because of the public perception of her as a 'wild child' who'd do anything. I think making a racial issue out of this is off-track.

On another note, I saw some of the lyrics to what P. Diddy rapped at that infamous halftime show, and people should be a lot more offended about that. When contacted concerning the content of his rap, his spokeperson supposedly said, in effect, 'So what?'. That troubles me a lot more than a 'wardrobe malfunction' So when I come out of the bathroom unzipped, is that also a 'WM'- just asking...

Hoo boy... :rolleyes: I guess I'm outta luck since I didn't watch the game or the halftime show--for those of you who did, how much do you think your trauma is worth?

Woman sues over Janet Jackon's breast 

2 hours, 32 minutes ago 

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A Tennessee woman has filed a class action suit against Janet Jackson and others involved in her breast-baring Super Bowl halftime show, saying millions of people are owed monetary damages for exposure to lewd conduct.

The suit, filed earlier this week in federal court in Knoxville, Tennessee, also names pop star Justin Timberlake, who performed with Jackson, CBS Broadcasting, show producer MTV Networks Enterprises, and the parent of those two companies, Viacom.

The action seeks a court order to prevent anything like last Sunday's stunt from being repeated on U.S. network television prior to 10 p.m. local time when children might be watching.

No dollar figure for damages is mentioned in the suit, but it estimates that over 80 million U.S. viewers might be due compensation. CBS has said the game drew an average viewership of just under 89.6 million people. Advertising during the game sold for more than $2 million (1.1 million pounds) a spot.

The suit states that the ultimate compensatory damage figure, should a jury decide to grant damages, should be no higher than what the parties being sued made out of participating in and airing the Super Bowl and its halftime show.

If additional punitive damages are granted, it adds, they should be no higher than the "gross annual revenues of each defendant for the last three years..."

Those figures would probably run into the billions of dollars, according to the Smoking Gun, a Web site that first published the court papers.

During the halftime show Timberlake tore off half of Jackson's black leather bustier, exposing her right breast, while the two were singing a duet.

Jackson took the blame but said "it was not my intention that it go as far as it did."

CBS has already said it would use an "enhanced delay" on its February 8 broadcast of music's Grammy Awards so it can censor both audio and video as needed, and ABC also said it will use a delay on its February 29 broadcast of the Academy Awards (news - web sites).

The suit says the defendants knew the broadcast would be watched by millions of families with children but they "included in the halftime show sexually explicit acts solely designed to garner publicity and ultimately to increase profits for themselves. The suit mentions the breast exposure but also says the show in general contained "other lewd and sexually explicit conduct."

The law firm handling the suit issued a statement on Friday saying that neither the woman who filed it, Terri Carlin, nor her attorney, Wayne Ritchie, would comment. "The issue here is accountability and not more publicity," it said.

CBS, already facing an FCC probe for the halftime show, said it would broadcast Sunday's Grammy Awards with a five-minute delay to allow time to edit out any offensive images.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/06/s...t.ap/index.html

They should hire some chinese censorship pros ....

China requires foreign broadcasters to use a designated Chinese satellite to transmit signals into the country.

A seven-second delay between the time signals reach the satellite and the time they are retransmitted to cable viewers allows censors to selectively black out programming.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/...14/sars.censor/

We should file a class action suite against the FCC and the broadcast networks for getting on our nerves! Screw 'em. Broadcast award shows on cable and/or pay per view!

:angry:

eddddddited for spellllllllllling.

Edited by 7/4

The law firm handling the suit issued a statement on Friday saying that neither the woman who filed it, Terri Carlin, nor her attorney, Wayne Ritchie, would comment. "The issue here is accountability and not more publicity," it said.

Isn't this the same character who tried to sue Married with Children for being tasteless?