Lotte Anker @ JACK in Brooklyn March 13th

Kreilly

• 2 weeks later...

Two strong sets. Both featured extended high energy improvisations. Lotte Anker was the only one of the four musicians I have never heard live. She was impressive. I think she has a good rapport with Gerald Cleaver. I know they have been playing together in the trio with Craig Taborn for years. Cleaver is a favorite of mine and I have had the pleasure of hearing him live a few times. On this night he was really on fire. In both the duet and the quartet performances he seemed to direct the flow of things more than I have heard him in other settings. He has a way of getting into what I call a fractured rhythm or groove that I like and he always seems to be listening to what the other musicians are doing. The quartet was very interesting. I confess that although I have listened to a lot of Berne and have even heard him live a few times, he actually is not one of my favorites. But I enjoyed his playing a lot more on this night than I have at other times. I think I enjoy hearing him more outside of his own groups when he just plays the horn. The only thing I noticed is that in the quartet to me he seemed to take the spotlight away from the presumed leader a bit. It's always a joy for me to hear Parker. Love his big sound - although it did not always seem like him and Berne connected. But then again, that is just from my ears as nothing more than a fan.

Overall, although I paid for the late night the next day at work, it was worth the trip.