Get well Sonny...

Hardbopjazz

Oh, man. I had front-row tickets for his show at the Wharton Center in May! I quite enjoyed his set in Detroit last summer (with Bob Cranshaw on upright, which was a pleasant surprise). Sonny Rollins is such a joy to watch and obviously still relishes performing live, so I'm sure that he's not happy about having to take a break. Here's wishing a speedy and full recovery for the Saxophone Colossus.

I envy people of my approximate age whose first and often only heartfelt idol was Trane. They almost all discovered him after the passage of time had removed him from the planet, so they only knew him as deceased. That's how it was with me and guys like Hawk, Prez, Bird, a few others, but a lot of my "real heroes" have been guys who were very much alive when I got to them, and none has been a more real hero to me than Sonny. So many of them have passed in my lifetime, and/but I'm really not ready to live in a world without Sonny Rollins, for more than a few reasons, only some of which are probably rational. Not yet, probably not ever, but...

So yeah, get well. Stay well. Keep playing the tenor. Do it however and with whomever you choose. I don't care. Just...keep it going until it's for sure time to go.

Please.

I envy people of my approximate age whose first and often only heartfelt idol was Trane. They almost all discovered him after the passage of time had removed him from the planet, so they only knew him as deceased. That's how it was with me and guys like Hawk, Prez, Bird, a few others, but a lot of my "real heroes" have been guys who were very much alive when I got to them, and none has been a more real hero to me than Sonny. So many of them have passed in my lifetime, and/but I'm really not ready to live in a world without Sonny Rollins, for more than a few reasons, only some of which are probably rational. Not yet, probably not ever, but...

So yeah, get well. Stay well. Keep playing the tenor. Do it however and with whomever you choose. I don't care. Just...keep it going until it's for sure time to go.

Please.

I 2nd that emotion!

Please.

Amen to that.

Please.

Me too. i saw him a bunch of times when I was first getting into jazz in 1972/3/4 and he still played the Village Vanguard. Mind-altering music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes and wonder what Road Shows Vol. 3 has in store for us. I still need to pick up Volume 2.

It will be basically some of his recent compositions over the past two or three years. That's my guess. Sonny's written new material and since no new studio album this is a way to let his fans hear these new tunes.

• 2 months later...

on Sonny's website today:

A Message from Sonny:
"This past spring, I was dealing with some respiratory issues that necessitated my canceling several concerts. I have been under a doctor’s care, and we were hopeful that I would be able to return to performing in time for my scheduled concerts this month and next. However, I am still not in condition to perform, and regretfully I must cancel these shows."