just the sax, mam-crime pursuit music

I love it! It's great fun! One of my favourite Lonnie Smith adventures. And must be the only jazz version of the theme for the Alfred Hitchcock TV series. Recorded in 1992, originally issued on Paddle Wheel, my copy is a US edition, issued in 2002 by Sons of Sound. I found it hard to get in 2004 already.

Oh, but I see it on Amazon UK £8.99 the CD, £7.49 download, now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Agent-Man-Akira-Tana/dp/B00007L9NE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362670665&sr=8-3

Maybe cheaper at Amazon.de.

MG

Was there ever a 'sound track album' of music from the 1959 TV series Johnny Staccato (Television's Jazz Detective!) ? Elmer Bernstein's score, and on-screen appearances (at Staccato's hangout, Waldo's Cafe) by such as Shelly Manne, Red Norvo, Barney Kessel, et al.

Only 27 episodes, all available on DVD. (The show was brilliantly lampooned by the wonderful SCTV crew).

EDIT to add: Looks like Youtube has taken the SCTV down...can't find Vic Arpeggio anywhere.)

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

spotify has that recording, and a similar one by the same artist--seret agent men and kiss kiss bang bang. in about 2 hours, i shall give them a listen.

i have all of the exciting shelly manne peter gunn vinyls.

Another one! And called 'Kiss kiss bang bang'! Wonderful! Must try to track that one down.

MG

spotify has that recording, and a similar one by the same artist--seret agent men and kiss kiss bang bang. in about 2 hours, i shall give them a listen.

i have all of the exciting shelly manne peter gunn vinyls.

Another one! And called 'Kiss kiss bang bang'! Wonderful! Must try to track that one down.

MG

Hm, seems to be a film.

kiss_kiss_bang_bang_2.jpg

MG

Found a copy on amazon.de for less than 10 € incl. postage - it's a nice album, indeed, the theme is fun, and Rodney Jones playing in the low register in a Peter Gunn fashion all the more so.

I love it! It's great fun! One of my favourite Lonnie Smith adventures. And must be the only jazz version of the theme for the Alfred Hitchcock TV series. Recorded in 1992, originally issued on Paddle Wheel, my copy is a US edition, issued in 2002 by Sons of Sound. I found it hard to get in 2004 already.

Oh, but I see it on Amazon UK £8.99 the CD, £7.49 download, now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Agent-Man-Akira-Tana/dp/B00007L9NE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362670665&sr=8-3

Maybe cheaper at Amazon.de.

MG

71-Y8xNGxnL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

How about TV Action Jazz by Mundell Lowe? I found this one in the dollar bin of a record store in Lincoln, Nebraska about ten years ago. I expected it to be a totally campy affair, but it's really good jazz, with Donald Byrd, Jimmy Cleveland, Tony Scott, and Eddie Costa, among others. Lowe did a second volume, and both have issued on CD by one of the pirates.

There is a great radio show devoted to this genre of music, hosted by a very knowledgable and pleasant host, Darrell Brogdon. You can access old playlists and listen to old shows:

http;//www.retrococktail.org

To answer Ted O'Reilly's question, I am sure that I have heard music from the TV show "Johnny Staccato" on this radio show.

71-Y8xNGxnL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

How about TV Action Jazz by Mundell Lowe? I found this one in the dollar bin of a record store in Lincoln, Nebraska about ten years ago. I expected it to be a totally campy affair, but it's really good jazz, with Donald Byrd, Jimmy Cleveland, Tony Scott, and Eddie Costa, among others. Lowe did a second volume, and both have issued on CD by one of the pirates.

I enjoy that one pretty much, too!

It was reissued on CD by Sony France (I think) fairly recently. Around the time they did those Dave Bailey and Charlie Rouse Epic reissues, too, I think.

There is a great radio show devoted to this genre of music, hosted by a very knowledgable and pleasant host, Darrell Brogdon. You can access old playlists and listen to old shows:

http;//www.retrococktail.org

To answer Ted O'Reilly's question, I am sure that I have heard music from the TV show "Johnny Staccato" on this radio show.

Thanks -- I'll check that out...

Seeing "M Squad" on that cover reminds me that Benny Carter combined with Count Basie fot that theme -- a good Roulette release.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...