New Tubby Hayes box

previous thread:

wasn't aware the NY album was part of this box ... if it had been in there in its entirety, that alone would have been reason enough to buy it!

Dubious move on the part of Proper. If you're putting together a box of Hayes from that period, surely you know that his fans want that album and they want ALL of it.

I for one was going to order the box but now will not.

That really sucks indeed!

I've got all the impressed/re-pressed CDs (except for "Return Visit", which is in the RRK box) and the entire NY album plus that half album tagged on at the end, plus Spillett's liner notes, would have been enough for me to buy it, but like this, that's really much less that case!

previous thread:

wasn't aware the NY album was part of this box ... if it had been in there in its entirety, that alone would have been reason enough to buy it!

Dubious move on the part of Proper. If you're putting together a box of Hayes from that period, surely you know that his fans want that album and they want ALL of it.

It could be a licensing issue. The tracks included on the Proper set are those that were originally issued on the Fontana/Epic album "Tubbs in New York". The "missing" tracks are those that subsequently appeared on the CBS CD "The New York Sessions". I seem to recall some discussion previously (here?) about the CD having to be withdrawn because CBS did not have the rights to re-issue it.

This thread caused me to check Amazon for available recordings by Hayes, there are a lot more than I would have thought. I see there is a date with Paul Gonsalves, can anyone comment on that one?

Couple of bits of information on Hayes/Gonsalves dates here:

http://jazzbotherer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/paul-gonsalves-tubby-hayes-just-friends.html

http://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/tubby-hayes-paul-gonsalves-change-of-setting-1965/

• 3 months later...

Just had word from Simon Spillett that his long-awaited biography of Tubby Hayes "The Long Shadow of the Little Giant" is now finished! It is accompanied by a substantial discography and from the excerpts he's let me see it's a definite "page-turner". Simon is currently in "negotiations" publisher-wise. I do hope it doesn't take too long to appear on the shelves.

Edited by RogerF

Just had word from Simon Spillett that his long-awaited biography of Tubby Hayes "The Long Shadow of the Little Giant" is now finished! It is accompanied by a substantial discography and from the excerpts he's let me see it's a definite "page-turner". Simon is currently in "negotiations" publisher-wise. I do hope it doesn't take too long to appear on the shelves.

:tup

Just picked up "Tubby's New Groove" on Candid

Simon Spillett's notes are fascinating (his liner notes are always illuminating & jam packed with info) - will definitely get the book

This session(s) comes from the classic Tempo "Tubby's Groove" sessions

In the late 50's, tapes from Tempo were sent to Alfred Lion with the possibility of a Hayes Blue Note release (as with Dizzy Reece)

This never eventuated (Reece didn't sell well). These tapes were in Michael Cuscuna's possessionafter much searching & have been transferred to disc.

So, these are much better quality recordings of Tempo material (most of what we currently have are transfers from LP as all the original tapes were destroyed in the 60/70's) & probably his best session/s

Any Hayes fan should have this recording.

Great news ! I figured it was imminent when Jazz Journal did the exerpt from the 'forthcoming book' last month. As expected, looks to be very well written.

Another real eye-opener when I perused it was Peter King's biography for Northway. Superbly written and packed full of great reminiscences, quite a few of which feature Tubby.

Edited by sidewinder

Another real eye-opener when I perused it was Peter King's biography for Northway. Superbly written and packed full of great reminiscences, quite a few of which feature Tubby.

Thanks for the heads-up. The reviews sound excellent - I've put my order in!

Thanks for the heads-up. The reviews sound excellent - I've put my order in!

In the process of perusing a few pages in the Bloomsbury Waterstones the other day in their nice comfy chair I ended up almost reading the whole thing. A really excellent book - I'll have to order a copy myself. Peter King writes with great insight and with telling reminiscences of the many major names he has played with (Tubby, Elvin, Ernestine Anderson, Philly Joe Jones and many others). With regard to Tubby, the memories of the '60s big band are very interesting (and the circumstances surrounding that 'Jazz 625' broadcast). Over and above all of this he's a world-class model airman too. Stuff Baldrick, Pippa whatsername and co., this man deserves public recognition !

Edited by sidewinder

previous thread:

It could be a licensing issue. The tracks included on the Proper set are those that were originally issued on the Fontana/Epic album "Tubbs in New York". The "missing" tracks are those that subsequently appeared on the CBS CD "The New York Sessions". I seem to recall some discussion previously (here?) about the CD having to be withdrawn because CBS did not have the rights to re-issue it.

Proper doesn't seem to concern themselves with things like "licensing rights.";)

I really hope that Simon gets this book published sooner rather than later. Tubby was a rather special talent, one of the first I ever saw in concert, and he deserves a decent biography, and I know Simon will do his subject proud. So really looking forward to it.

BTW, I'm also a big fan of Simon himself and it's a crime that a talent such as his has only had three albums issued, each one of them is more than worth owning and get plenty of play in my home.

• 1 year later...