Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bogdan101

Small group jazz with tuba?

32 posts in this topic

They look so happy. Sure this wasn't an ad for Stelazine?

tuba-players.jpg

Didn't Anthony Braxton "threaten" at one time to create a composition for 100 tubas??

Marcus Rojas also nicely featured with Lester Bowie and Dave Douglas' brass bands. A direct link to a direct influence for Douglas I think.

Dick Cary also arranged some really interesting neither-trad-nor-modern charts for a colorful (tuba and vibes!) Bobby Hackett group in the late 50's... I believe their lone studio recording is the Capitol GOTHAM JAZZ SCENE, but there are also some airshots that were made available on a Viper's Nest release back in the 90s'... OFF MINOR. John Dengler handles the tuba duties, and Ernie Caceres is featured on clarinet and baritone sax. Worth tracking down.

Didn't Anthony Braxton "threaten" at one time to create a composition for 100 tubas??

Composition no. 19, performed outdoors at the World Financial Center in NYC, 2006. Video on YouTube and downloadable recording available via New Braxton House Records.

Jesse Dulman on Kalaparush and the Light: Morning Song (Delmark)

A favorite

514UCDq3p8L._SY300_.jpg

I saw them in concert once as openers for Brass Fantasy, a bunch of tubas and a drummer. Very good stuff.

Edited by PHILLYQ