George Braith with Roy Haynes and Wilbur Ware

From George's Facebook page.....

Happy birthday to Roy Haynes! This is a performance that we did together with Wilbur Ware on bass and Andy Bey on piano at Musart, in 1966.

https://soundcloud.com/georgebraith/all-the-things-you-are?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fgeorgebraith%2Fall-the-things-you-are

I remember seeing Braith playing on the streets of NYC when I was a wee laddie.

I remember thinking, "What the hell is a motherfucker like this doing playing on the streets?".

After I gave him some of my hard-earned bread, I told him how great I thought he sounded, and asked him if he was playing a manzello or stritch. I'll never forget his reply, ' No man, this ain't no manzello or stritch, THIS IS A BRAITHOPHONE!", as if it were common knowledge. :Nod:

Speaking of Rahsaan, I've finally located a copy of his bio, "Bright Moments", and just from the first few chapters I've read, I think it can be said that there will never be a person like him again. And the world will never be quite the same without him... :rcry

From George's Facebook page.....

Happy birthday to Roy Haynes! This is a performance that we did together with Wilbur Ware on bass and Andy Bey on piano at Musart, in 1966.

https://soundcloud.com/georgebraith/all-the-things-you-are?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fgeorgebraith%2Fall-the-things-you-are

Maybe the Ware Foundation would be interested in those tapes if they're releaseable.

600x600.jpg

Yes, I have that one, and you think "Sonny Rollins WOW" and it is, on one cut, but he's playing saxophone pads - , just making the saond of closing and opening pads. So, yeah, parallel universe BIG time.

I dig George Braith. People should also hear the one he made with The Braith Family singers. It's the very eptiome of you either get it or you don't, and either way, that's a good reason.

600x600.jpg

Yes, I have that one, and you think "Sonny Rollins WOW" and it is, on one cut, but he's playing saxophone pads - , just making the saond of closing and opening pads. So, yeah, parallel universe BIG time.

I dig George Braith. People should also hear the one he made with The Braith Family singers. It's the very eptiome of you either get it or you don't, and either way, that's a good reason.

In 1,111 posts, you'll have 44,444 posts jsngry.

I've got the live GB with John Patton called Eagle Eye.

Would love to hear the George Braith recording from Musart with Grant Green and Billy Gardener.

Wonder what tunes they played?

Edited by freelancer

I remember seeing Braith playing on the streets of NYC when I was a wee laddie.

I remember thinking, "What the hell is a motherfucker like this doing playing on the streets?".

After I gave him some of my hard-earned bread, I told him how great I thought he sounded, and asked him if he was playing a manzello or stritch. I'll never forget his reply, ' No man, this ain't no manzello or stritch, THIS IS A BRAITHOPHONE!", as if it were common knowledge. :Nod:

Speaking of Rahsaan, I've finally located a copy of his bio, "Bright Moments", and just from the first few chapters I've read, I think it can be said that there will never be a person like him again. And the world will never be quite the same without him... :rcry

There's a funny quote on Braith in "Bright Moments" by John Kruth:

"I never could get with Blue Note" Rahsaan grumbled. "I used to call them all the time, but they thought I was a gimmick until I sat in with Coltrane at the Village Gate. When they saw I wasn't a gimmick, they were rushing to record me, but by that time I already had a contract. So they tried a substitute with the two-horn thing," he said referring to George.