Best Live Performance by Classic Bands

david weiss

Agree with comments about those Cecil 1970's Unit recordings

I think One too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye is simply one of the great live documents in the history of this music

Calling it The Eighth with a quartet with Rashid Bakr is also quite good

How about Nefertiti from 1962 with Jimmy Lyons and Sunny Murray?

Not great sound but there are passages when truly new music is invented

What I would love to hear would be a multi disc set of some of the Gerry Hemingway quintet shows from the 90's with best band he ever led

Btw I posted more current bands that I've seen to make a point. Someone else asked what makes a classic band?

Certainly Trio 3 is and Live in Willisau from 1992 fits the bill

Parker Guy Lytton from 1996 At the Vortex is the best they ever sounded on record

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Steve, I know you're also a huge fan of the Hemingway 5. I was listening to Waltzes, Two-Steps, & Other Matters of the Heart (culled from multiple shows, alas) the other day and was just newly blown away by how insanely good that band and those songs are. Complete and total mastery. How how how do you so consistently write such melodic, complex, challenging, engaging and above-all enjoyable tunes? Gerry did it, and they played it with ease. And that's how it sounds: so easy!

Plus Waltzes has Toombow on it which I saw live with the American Quartet maybe in 2000 or so. It was amazing.

Would love to hear The Marmalade King suite live. I know a few who would just love to get the original long out of print Hat Art CD. Hemingway combined all his best qualities as a writer, leader and drummer with that recording.

Plus all the recordings are of the best sound quality, with Waltzes being no exception