Chris Potter

Milestones

Let's hear it from the Chris Potter fans.

I'm sure most of us have heard plenty of his stuff. I think he's created quite a legacy just for his work with Dave Holland. He's been on some of Dave Douglas' records. He's on Metheny's "Unity Band." He guests quite a bit. Seems like this man has been everywhere.

But I have not yet gravitated much to his own work. I do have "Vertigo" and recall pretty much enjoying it. But I don't believe there's anything else in my collection.

The new one--"The Sirens"--sound interesting based on the snippets.

He's a great frontline partner for Pat Metheny, so much so that the Unity Band, now called the Unity Group is Pat's immediate focus. Also, Chris was great on Antonio Sanchez' debut "Migration", although, Sanchez new disc "New Life" up's the compositional ante (with Donny McCaslin and Dave Binney) considerably.

of my favorite tenor players on the scene. I particularly like his Underground group, and I was impressed by his new quartet when I saw them last month (Sirens is well worth picking up). Two of his sideman appearances that stand out for me are Kenny Wheeler's What Now? and Kenny Werner's Lawn Chair Society. Although Antonio Sanchez's drumming has yet to really grab me, Potter excels in Pat Metheny's Unity Group as well, based on the record and when I saw them in Pittsburgh in August(?). As I mentioned on the 'What Live Music[...]' thread after seeing his quartet, his work on bass clarinet really appeals to me, but he doesn't seem to think that an album focusing on bass clarinet would draw much interest, which is a shame. :shrug[1]:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/19/2013 at 0:27 PM, Justin V said:

of my favorite tenor players on the scene. I particularly like his Underground group, and I was impressed by his new quartet when I saw them last month (Sirens is well worth picking up). Two of his sideman appearances that stand out for me are Kenny Wheeler's What Now? and Kenny Werner's Lawn Chair Society. Although Antonio Sanchez's drumming has yet to really grab me, Potter excels in Pat Metheny's Unity Group as well, based on the record and when I saw them in Pittsburgh in August(?). As I mentioned on the 'What Live Music[...]' thread after seeing his quartet, his work on bass clarinet really appeals to me, but he doesn't seem to think that an album focusing on bass clarinet would draw much interest, which is a shame. :shrug[1]:

I just saw this old post of mine.  Having since seen Antonio Sanchez with Pat Metheny several times and twice with Gary Burton, I am now a fan.  One album that began that shift of opinion was Kenny Werner's Balloons, a live date with Randy Brecker, David Sanchez and John Patitucci.  

Edited by Justin V

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, Guy Berger said:

Potter's new quartet album with David Virelles and Marcus Gilmore The Dreamer Is the Dream is very good!

I saw Potter + Virelles playing material from the album earlier this week.  Ben Street and Dan Weiss were on drums.  Outstanding, one of the best jazz concerts I've seen in the last few years.

• 7 months later...

My favorite Chris Potter, by a long shot.

You know what they say about "dance like there's nobody looking", or whatever they say, I think you get all these great solos on Monday's records because they're playing like no "jazz fans" are listening. Although in fairness, that's probably a safe assumption on their part, but anyway, jeesus, listen to this cat play, THAT'S the shit right there!