Bud Shank and the Sax Section 1981 vinyl re-issue

Big Al

Bought this in Austin for $3 over the weekend, been hunting it for a while. Didn't know at the time of purchase that this re-issue omits two tracks: a cover of the Beatles' "And I Love Her" and another track I've not heard of called "The Grass is Greener." Now, I can live without the Beatles cover; but what about that other track? Is it worth continuing to hunt down the full album?

Bob Florence's scoring for this album is quite nice. Strange that they omitted these two tracks from the reissue; have had some of these reissues through the years and don't think any tracks were missing from those titles. The covers are spectacularly uninspiring, though.

The missing tracks from '...and the Sax Section' are as good as any on that date, and if anything the Beatles tune is one of the better from that album.

• 1 month later...

Just dug this out of one of my crates and put it on the TT to let it 'sing for its supper'. Hell yeah, it'll be filed into the main library.

Liberty/Pacific Jazz gave Bud the green light to stretch with his buddies on this one. They're all on the cover of the gatefold jacket and the liner notes by J.William Hardy are detailed and worth it.

Both tracks on the witness stand are so well-arranged, they synch with all other tracks. 'Grass Is Greener' doesn't sound like the Pet Clark hit 'The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener'. Shank's 'Grass' is dynamite by comparison.