Who can tell me a bit about Austin Crowe (pianist)

six string

Ok, so I only discovered Walt Dickerson about six years ago so don't laugh here but I'm curious about the pianist that played on several of his early albums, Austin Crowe.

He really fit in well with Walt's superb playing/songs yet I had never heard of Crowe before this. I googled his name and got other people with his name but not the jazz pianist. Did he ever record under his own name or play a supporting role with others? It's like he made those albums with Dickerson and then "poof" he was gone. Was he abducted by aliens?

Inquesitive minds need to know!

Walt Dickerson said:
"Excellent pianist! Last I heard, Austin was in New York, playing classical music. Again, the scene, as it was then…Austin came from a very religious background also, so the scene did a lot to drive many great musicians away. He had a couple of things with Philly Joe Jones, and he came back and told me, "Never again, never again.” He was stranded in the Midwest, played two weeks of engagement and no way to get home. Some people can’t take those kinds of experiences, so I heard he was playing classical piano. I understood. He would say, "Any time you call me, I’ll be there.” As a matter of fact, years later, when he heard Shades Of Love, he told me, "I remember, Walt, how you used to turn your instrument in reverse and practice for hours.” It’s a challenge, something different. Yes, Austin, a wonderful pianist, a wonderful person…"

from here:

http://darkforcesswing.blogspot.de/2007/06/in-full-1-walt-dickerson.html

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on this site for information. I look forward to reading these interviews when I have some time to really enjoy them (later tonight). Thanks again.

Re:Crowe's difficult time with the jazz underbelly, I can totally understand where he's coming from. While I'm not a religious person I know that my mind and body would not be able to do that either, as much as I love the music. I'm happy to hear that he didn't stop playing though.

• 4 years later...