Billy Hart, All Our Reasons (ECM)

Guy Berger

• 5 months later...

Agreed that I need to give it another spin. I didn't like it upon first hearing it, although all of the members of the group are great players. My initial impression of the album is that was very dull; overwhelmed by the ECM type of production.

Regards,

LWayne

Edited by LWayne

Agreed that I need to give it another spin. I didn't like it upon first hearing it, although all of the members of the group are great players. My initial impression of the album is that was very dull; overwhelmed by the ECM type of production.

Regards,

LWayne

Why I havnt bought it.

Burned too often lately by the ECM effect. I'm sure if they can take the snap and crackle out of Gerald Cleaver and Ches Smith, they can do the same to Billy Hart.

Fwiw, they might even be able to take the groove out of Hamid Drake if they ever had the chance

I haven't heard All Our Reasons, but I have heard this:

922412.jpg

I generally don't like that "post-bop" sound (indeterminate key, lack of melody, pulse rather than rhythm), but I thought a lot of people here do. Surprised they're getting such a lukewarm reception. Wonder what the key missing ingredient is.

I don't know, I like both the BHQ albums quite a lot. "Grit" is not something I'd particularly associate with Mark Turner, and certainly not with Iverson.

It took me a while to warm up to Mark Turner in general, but over the past couple of years I've become convinced. I think he's wonderful. But yes, in a very cerebral vein.

Iverson, who is perhaps my favorite jazz blogger, is sadly not my favorite jazz pianist. To me he lacks vibrancy. That kind of pulls the music down below an optimum level.

I don't know, I like both the BHQ albums quite a lot. "Grit" is not something I'd particularly associate with Mark Turner, and certainly not with Iverson.

It took me a while to warm up to Mark Turner in general, but over the past couple of years I've become convinced. I think he's wonderful. But yes, in a very cerebral vein.

Iverson, who is perhaps my favorite jazz blogger, is sadly not my favorite jazz pianist. To me he lacks vibrancy. That kind of pulls the music down below an optimum level.

I agree with your assessment, Tom, although I've always liked Turner. The best thing I've heard from him in a long while is a European radio broadcast of a concert with him, Kenny Werner, Scott Colley and Bill Stewart.