Is Sonny Rollins ill?

Cali

This was posted on his facebook back on March 6th.

No updates on his health since. Also, as of right now the only performance scheduled on his site is on June 22nd.

"A Message from Sonny Rollins

Ive come up with a respiratory problem, and I have to cancel some upcoming shows. My doctor has given me the green light for June. Please check my web site for my new dates.

Meanwhile, Im busy working on my next CD, Road Shows, vol. 3.

Many thanks,

Sonny"

Edited by Blue Train

Weird. I read this thread before going to bed last night. During the night, I dreamed I went to the nightclub I worked at in the 80s to see Sonny perform. The place was empty, and the manager said the show was cancelled due to illness. I kicked myself for forgeting that I had read this thread earlier. I'll end right here, since trying to explain midgets and talking vegetables is too much at this hour of the day. :w

• 2 months later...

This was posted back on June 12th on his FB & Official website.

"A Message from Sonny:

"This past spring, I was dealing with some respiratory issues that necessitated my canceling several concerts. I have been under a doctor’s care, and we were hopeful that I would be able to return to performing in time for my scheduled concerts this month and next. However, I am still not in condition to perform, and regretfully I must cancel these shows."

Right now August 30th is only date listed for a live performance.

Edited by Blue Train

• 1 month later...

Seems his health problems may not be improving. London gig in November just cancelled

"EFG London Jazz Festival regret to announce that, for health reasons, Sonny Rollins has had to cancel his Royal Albert Hall concert scheduled for Monday 18 November this year. His office have issued the following statement:-

“Earlier this year, Sonny began to experience respiratory symptoms that affected his playing. His doctor prescribed rest and a course of treatment that he hoped would eliminate the symptoms quickly and would enable Sonny to resume his performance schedule. Although Sonny has made good progress, his symptoms are unfortunately not completely gone, and he is not yet at the point where he can physically perform a concert at the high level that has always been his standard. Last week, in consultation with his doctor, Sonny decided that he needs to devote the remainder of this year to rest and the prescribed therapy in order to address his current health issues. Therefore all concerts scheduled for the remainder of 2013 have been postponed. Sonny is determined to get stronger and hopefully return to performing in 2014”

Get better Mr Rollins

“Last week, in consultation with his doctor, Sonny decided that he needs to devote the remainder of this year to rest and the prescribed therapy in order to address his current health issues. Therefore all concerts scheduled for the remainder of 2013 have been postponed. Sonny is determined to get stronger and hopefully return to performing in 2014.”

http://www.jazzjournal.co.uk/jazz-latest-news/617/sonny-rollins-ljf-concert-cancelled

I am very much ONE with him getting healthy...but as long as he's not as Larry Kart has described Coleman Hawkins @ the end I am not ONE with him retiring.....thankfully, he is able to get proper care.

After 60+ years....retiring....that actually is the quickest way to a result no one wants to see for a good time more.

P.S. Just want to add in he's my Mother's favorite. As in, using Saxophone Colossus would have been over the top!

Edited by Blue Train