Expression Pedals

HenryD

Was wondering what expression pedals everybody out there uses in conjunction with their clonewheel, as I'm looking to make a switch with mine..

Right now I'm using a Roland EV5 for my Nord, and it isn't quite cutting it for me. It's nice that it has an adjustable knob on the side, but even when I set the pedal to have the most dynamic range, because it has such a small angle from start to finish, it's either way too quiet or way too loud and too hard to control between the two ranges.

Thanks in advance for any advice about other models, or perhaps how to fix my current problem??

I would ditch the EV5. I had one... make that two... and they would get scratchy quickly and fail repeatedly.

The Yamaha FC7 is a wonderful pedal. I don't think you need that adjustable knob with the Nord, do you? Doesn't it control the dynamic range of the organ from software?

The Hammond EXP-50 is the most "Hammond"-like, go figure. It's also very expensive but it feels great.

I've heard the FC7 is a good pedal in the past. Went to Guitar Center recently to try to test one out, but they had none in stock!

Knock on wood, my EV5 has gone a year now functioning perfectly fine, but again, it doesn't quite have the range that I need it to have.

• 2 weeks later...

I figure this might be a good place to pose this question: I have a hammond sk-2 and have been using a volume pedal instead of an expression pedal. I planned on buying the hammond expression pedal, but never did. I know I will need to do that if I ever hook the keyboard up to a leslie speaker. So... my question is... Is there a big difference between a volume pedal and an expression pedal built specifically for the instrument? I would hate to spend the money that Hammond is asking and not notice much difference. Thanks for any input!

Short answer: No. The Hammond pedal responds more like a real Hammond pedal but if you experiment with the response curves in the SK2 (I believe there are four of them to choose from), you can get close with whatever pedal you use. The Hammond pedal is very nice but I don't think you'd notice much difference.