Using wood glue to clean vinyl records.

Hardbopjazz

Classic quote from that thread via Christiern:

"I would test it on an Alice Coltrane disc."

:D

The one or two Alice Coltrane CDs I previewed at the record store could have been safely used for target practice with a firearm, but perhaps I just picked the wrong ones, and the store's background noise might have made me impatient. :smirk:

After all these years, Scott, you remember me well. Having heard the positive result on Miles, I would consider it a waste of good glue to apply it to Alice Coltrane. Is there, perhaps, a glue that will remove her pseudo spirituality? :cool:

After all these years, Scott, you remember me well. Having heard the positive result on Miles, I would consider it a waste of good glue to apply it to Alice Coltrane. Is there, perhaps, a glue that will remove her pseudo spirituality? :cool:

I assume money didn't work... :tophat:

MG

I have had the 4 LP Return To Forever Live set since it came out in the late 70s. It was still virtually brand new when the entire set was damaged - as in soaked - in a flood - in my parent's basement. Hey - I was a young college student living at home. At any rate - we are talking a raw sewage type sewer back-up. Very nasty. The box and booklet were destroyed, but I hung on to the LPs - even though they sounded horrible afterwards. Snap crackle and pop like you have never heard.

As I had not listened to vinyl for decades, all my LPs were in storage until a year or two ago. I finally picked up a turntable and dragged my LPs out of the crawls space in which they were stored. Of course, I found my RTF LPs and they sounded as nasty as I remembered. So last night - I tried the glue. The results are remarkable. Stunning improvement - just a few residual pops here and there.

I thought the RTF albums almost an unfair trial due to the extreme conditions to which they were exposed. So I found a copy of the Blood Swear and Tears album - the self titled one with Spinning Wheel. I played it and it had the requisite snap crackle and pops. After the glue treatment - sounds like virgin vinyl.

I am a believer.