Search bafflement

mjzee

It shows up for me. Make sure you're searching across all sub-forums. It's in the Artists sub-forum. If you search Forums, it's on about the bottom of the second page.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=ead32f15763b7655266a6f59a6a801e0&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_term=Grateful&search_app=forums&st=25

Edited by BeBop

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I tried "+grateful +dead" and I do see it in search results, at the bottom of the first page. Since it's the most widely used thread covering the Dead, and with the most recent posts, I don't understand why it doesn't come up higher in the search results.

I get all that. What I don't get is why the board software returns the search results that it does, as they often seem wildly inexact and unhelpful. Do other IPB boards have the same issues regarding search results? Why can't this be improved by IPB?

I enter "Grateful" (without quotes) in the search box at the top of the webpage (I normally start at the page that results from clicking "View New Content"). I do not use advanced search or go to that page to choose any additional parameters.

I just tested it again both on the View New Contents page and on the page Forums Discussion. In both searches, The Grateful Dead Dark Star appears for me at the bottom of the second page of search results.

Others have similarly complained in the past about search results. I guess I'm just asking why IPB can't get this right, as this defect tends to diminish the board experience.

I just did a search and it popped up at the very top.

I tried it yesterday (using advanced search, and selecting "only search in titles"), and it popped up at the top for me also. If you're not using advanced search, you're handcuffing yourself. Then again, that ain't always perfect either, and I sometimes use Google also, for difficult searches.

There is definitely a problem with the way the search function works. I did my "Grateful" search again (using the search box at the top of the page, no advanced search) and received the same results (with "The Grateful Dead Dark Star" thread appearing at the bottom of the second page of search results). Now, notice the following: Here's the top of the first page of search results:

Gratefulsearch1.jpg

Notice that it appears to be returning results based on the last post date which is listed in the far right column. Now, look at the bottom of the second page of search results:

Gratefulsearch2.jpg

For "The Grateful Dead Dark Star," the date listed in the far-right column is 22 Aug 2011, and the search results conform to that date. However, "Last Post" (see two lines under "The Grateful Dead Dark Star in Artists") shows my last post as being 27 Mar 2013. If search results were truly being returned as per date of last post, this should have been one of the first search results shown. Further, since the thread was started in 2004, I don't know why the 22 Aug 2011 date is being returned at all.

Maybe the database simply needs better or more thorough indexing. But something is definitely off with the search function. I think we shouldn't be so quick to condemn those who start new threads without being aware of earlier threads, at least not until the search function is fixed by IPB.

It's simply bringing up threads where those keywords appear in a post, and has the most recent last post. That's the way almost all basic message board search engines are designed. It's not a flaw, it's default setting. And a reason why I always use advanced search. Especially when looking for a specific thread title.