RIP Virgil Trucks

N.Y. Times obiyuary: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/sports/baseball/virgil-trucks-dies-at-95-had-2-no-hitters-in-1952.html?_r=0

Interesting segment from the obituary:

In 1952, Trucks had one of the oddest statistical seasons in baseball history. Not only was the Tigers’ record dreadful — the team was 50-104 — but Trucks’s was as well. The woeful offense scored two runs or fewer in 15 of his starts, and he went 5-19. But remarkably, two of the five wins were no-hitters. The first, on May 15, was against the Washington Senators; the second, on Aug. 25, was against the mighty Yankees at Yankee Stadium.

N.Y. Times obiyuary: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/sports/baseball/virgil-trucks-dies-at-95-had-2-no-hitters-in-1952.html?_r=0

Interesting segment from the obituary:

In 1952, Trucks had one of the oddest statistical seasons in baseball history. Not only was the Tigers’ record dreadful — the team was 50-104 — but Trucks’s was as well. The woeful offense scored two runs or fewer in 15 of his starts, and he went 5-19. But remarkably, two of the five wins were no-hitters. The first, on May 15, was against the Washington Senators; the second, on Aug. 25, was against the mighty Yankees at Yankee Stadium.

And the year after he went 5-19, he won 20 for the only time in his career - 5 for the Browns and 15 for the White Sox. Next year he won 19 for the White Sox.

can't possibly remember what yours or mine looked like!! i remember though that he dated a girlfriend of mine! LOL!!

i could be a very comfortable retiree these days if my mother hadn't given away my baseball card collection from the '50s, including signed baseballs by Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Herb Score, etc., plus lots of copies of The Sporting News and programs from games. makes me sick to think about it!