Pat Metheny: "Tap:John Zorn's Book of Angels, volume 20"

CJ Shearn

Read that, thanks :) I wanna see how Marc Ribot's release in the series is in contrast, b/c while Pat's the more mainstream name, what he plays on "Tap" is pretty bizarre at times, that Zero Tolerance/Sign of Four bizarre. John really pushed Metheny to do some of his most interesting recorded work in a long while.

Are you actually saying he hasn't been very interesting for a long while? :lol:

JUST ANNOUNCED! JOHN ZORN'S BOOK OF ANGELS MINI-FESTIVAL!

Ars Nova Workshop is pleased to host a three-part concert series featuring the work of composer John Zorn inside a 19th century South Philly synagogue.

Monday, June 3, 8:00pm

Abraxas | Shanir Ezra Blumenkranz

Wednesday, June 12, 8:00pm

Volac | Erik Friedlander

Thursday, June 27, 8:00pm

Moloch | Uri Caine

In the final months of 2004, composer-performer John Zorn wrote over 300 new compositions for his popular Masada project, resulting in Masada Book Two-The Book of Angels. In celebration of Zorn's 60th birthday, Ars Nova Workshop will present The Book of Angels mini-festival at Shivtei Yeshuron-Ezras Israel, a South Philadelphia storefront synagogue.

Tickets are very limited!

Is Pat Metheny gonna be there?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read that, thanks :) I wanna see how Marc Ribot's release in the series is in contrast, b/c while Pat's the more mainstream name, what he plays on "Tap" is pretty bizarre at times, that Zero Tolerance/Sign of Four bizarre. John really pushed Metheny to do some of his most interesting recorded work in a long while.

Are you actually saying he hasn't been very interesting for a long while? :lol:

Ars Nova Workshop is pleased to host a three-part concert series featuring the work of composer John Zorn inside a 19th century South Philly synagogue.

Volac | Erik Friedlander

Moloch | Uri Caine

In the final months of 2004, composer-performer John Zorn wrote over 300 new compositions for his popular Masada project, resulting in Masada Book Two-The Book of Angels. In celebration of Zorn's 60th birthday, Ars Nova Workshop will present The Book of Angels mini-festival at Shivtei Yeshuron-Ezras Israel, a South Philadelphia storefront synagogue.

Is Pat Metheny gonna be there?

Afraid not. (So maybe my post didn't belong here, but...)

Pat's been very interesting for a while to me 7/4, it's just this album is VERY interesting. I'm spinning it for maybe the 20th time now etherbored. You definitely know it's Pat's because he brings his whole conception to Zorn. He plays solos on distorted guitar , baritone, steel string and nylon string, and guitar synth on this. Theres a lot of orchestrion, but it's becoming more organic. Pat even plays flugel, which is pretty strange It's polarizing (theres a few PMG fans on his forum that are very upset) in the way "Song X", "Zero Tolerance for Silence" and "Sign of Four" are but it's very very good.

Got the Tzadik version, really nice packaging.

Edited by CJ Shearn

So sick of the whole milking Masada/Book of Angels. At one time there was some seriously excellent recordings.

Is it only me....or does it seem Zorn "composed" more Book of Angels compositions in a month, or was the whole 300 done in two months than Duke Ellington did in his entire career? He might have surpassed Bach at this point.

Add in Metheny, and that's a snoozefest combination.

Am I the only one that wonders why Zorn keeps releasing things under his name that he doesn't even perform on?

Edited by Blue Train

Zorn when he's not milking everything possible, or releasing things under his name he's not performing on all the while still milking....for what seems like a decade at this point. Yes. Also yes on The Stone.

Metheny. Song X and his letter to Kenny G.

Edited by Blue Train

Volac | Erik Friedlander

Moloch | Uri Caine

Which brings up another thing he's been milking.

Zorn's creative and following his muse, it nay not always work, if I had half the creativity he did I would do what he does. I think The Stone is a great facility for creative music and Zorn definitely knows his fanbase. As for Pat's last 4 "What it's All About" I like the least, but everything is very consistent. I learned to enjoy all of Pat's projects.

Zorn himself was interested in comments I made on thisalbum, because my friend, a senior board operator at WNYC, shared with him my comments, when Zorn visited WNYC maybe 3 weeks ago. He seemed very cool, so that was nice. Not that many passionate fans are acknowledged by the musicians, so that was humbling for me. I've been on/off about Zorn, so "Tap" is a gateway into that world. "The Hermetic Organ" intrigues me but my speakers choke, when I sampled it on YT. Also, no matter what you think of him Blue Train, Zorn should be commended in these circles because, his involvement with John Patton in the 90's along with Us3 (no matter what you think of them either) helped the resurgence of interest in his work. I'd love to hear "Book of Angels" volumes from Dr. Lonnie Smith, Cuong Vu, and Hiromi, of all people.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I'd love to hear "Book of Angels" volumes from Dr. Lonnie Smith, Cuong Vu, and Hiromi, of all people.

That would be interesting!

I've met Zorn a few times, seems like a nice enough guy. I just can't keep up with all the music he releases.

I say Hiromi, because with her energy, she would add something that would set it apart from anything else in the series. Dr. Lonnie Smith is so comfortable playing funky, inside, outside, I think Zorn's Masada melodies would fit him perfectly. I am listening to "Tap" again, and it makes sense at different levels at each listen. "Phanuel" has musique concrete textures, and Pat lays down a backing of what sounds like muted guitars with ebow or slide behind his solo, it's a very thought provoking track.

Here's hoping the new AC @ The Stone is working on July 28th & 29th

The only thing these days I'm interested in that John Zorn is a part of.

Got bored with the multiple projects/massive number of compositions/pseudo creative BS of his about 10 plus years ago. So many more focused and interesting and powerful musicians/improvisers just in NYC, let alone in the rest of the world.

Here's hoping the new AC @ The Stone is working on July 28th & 29th

The only thing these days I'm interested in that John Zorn is a part of.

Got bored with the multiple projects/massive number of compositions/pseudo creative BS of his about 10 plus years ago. So many more focused and interesting and powerful musicians/improvisers just in NYC, let alone in the rest of the world.

New AC @ The Stone?

Word!

Zorn when he's not milking everything possible, or releasing things under his name he's not performing on all the while still milking....for what seems like a decade at this point. Yes. Also yes on The Stone.

Metheny. Song X and his letter to Kenny G.

'Question & Answer' too!

• 4 years later...