More British independent record stores

BillF

That's Spillers' new premises, in Morgan Arcade. The photographer picked a good day for lighting the shop. I was absent :)

Cob Records in Porthmadog is a very interesting shop in a tiny town. It's impossible to envisage where their customers come from but, from what I've heard, everyone in North Wales knows them. I've met people from right out in the sticks up there, who find speaking English very difficult (not deliberately, y'know), who know all about the early careers of Senegalese, Malian and Guinean bands - and I'm saying, 'so where did you hear that?' and the answer's always 'Cob Records'.

MG

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Does anyone remember the short lived Ronnie Scott's Record shop.  It was just behind the Colosseum. I bought Out Of The Cool there and IIRC Ronnie was behind the counter.  Last time I was in the area many years ago it was an adult book shop. 

There's a bit about it here John. Merry Xmas ! :)

Ronnie Scotts Record Shop

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Does anyone remember the short lived Ronnie Scott's Record shop.  It was just behind the Colosseum. I bought Out Of The Cool there and IIRC Ronnie was behind the counter.  Last time I was in the area many years ago it was an adult book shop. 

Could just see Ronnie running one of those.^_^

4 hours ago, Jazzjet said:

There seems to have been an art installation based around the old Dobell's Jazz Record shop. Lots of images here, including archive photos (the staff, Elvin Jones, Horace Silver, Errol Garner etc) :

Dobells

Thanks for that - much to my regret I missed this exhibition, well worth seeing by the look of it. Pretty sure I walked past the shop when it was boarded up ready for demolition in 1981 and think I paid one or two visits before that as their paper and plastic bags look very familiar. Too bad that I didn't save them !

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, Jazzjet said:

There seems to have been an art installation based around the old Dobell's Jazz Record shop. Lots of images here, including archive photos (the staff, Elvin Jones, Horace Silver, Errol Garner etc) :

Dobells

Amazing collection! Wish I'd kept my Dobell's bags! :lol: