BFT 108 Reveal

Dan Gould

Thanks to everyone who participated - I have a feeling some people will be kicking themselves as they read through the answers. In several cases, I previously shared the tracks with participants, but they didn't get the answers. :P
TRACK 1:
"Canino Road"
SEBASTIAN WHITTACKER AND THE CREATORS
One for Bu (Justice)
Sebastian Whittaker, Drums; David Craig, Acoustic bass; Jacky Terrasson, piano; Jesse Davis, Alto Sax; Shelley Carroll, Tenor Sax; Barry Lee Hall, Trumpet; James Lakey, Trombone; G.T. Hogan, bass
A pretty popular track, I hope people are inspired to seek out this group's CDs - they are all excellent, and I have noticed that Amazon Marketplace has most of them for a pittance (used) and still cheap new.
Track 2:
A Baptist Beat (Hank Mobley)
The Jazz Giants
Dudu Pukwana - alto sax
Goodman "Tete" Mbambisa - piano
Martin Mgijima - bass
Early Mabuza - drums
Nick Moyake - tenor sax
Elija Nkwayane - trumpet

Info here:
http://www.flatinternational.org/template_volume.php?volume_id=119

Licensed downloads here:
http://electricjive.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/sound-that-stood-test-of-time.html
Congrats to MG for figuring this one out, I thought Mike Weil might get this as he has name checked Dudu pretty recently. As I mentioned in the discussion thread, I didn't know the recording or the players but the combination of tune and players made for a perfect BFT track.

TRACK 3:
"IMPRESSIONS" (COLTRANE)
SEBASTIAN WHITTACKER, FIRST OUTING (JUSTICE)

Sebastian Whittacker, drums
David Craig, bass
Stefan Karlsson, piano
Shelley Carroll, tenor sax
John Gordon, tenor sax
When Mike Weil got track 1 right off the bat, I was sure he would recognize this one too. What happened? I guess this didn't hit him the way the first track did because its less of a Messengers-style performance.
The problem though is that the liners aren't helpful about which tenor sax is actually playing on this track. Is it Shelley? Care to guess, Jim?

TRACK 4
Flamingo Blues (Sweets Edison - Louis Bellson)
Louis Bellson at the Flamingo (Verve)

Bellson, drums
Edison, trumpet
Don Abney piano
Charles "Truck" Parham, bass

See that, Rowan? F-L-A-M-I-N-G-O B-L-U-E-S, composed by Edison and Bellson. No more of your lip or you're outta here!
:P
But seriously, this is a really fine Verve recording, and it doesn't feature OP.

TRACK 5:
LOSER'S LAMENT
MAL WALDRON, SWEET LOVE, BITTER (IMPULSE)
George Coleman, alto
Dave Burns, trumpet
Charles Davis, tenor sax
George Duvivier or Richard Davis, bass
Alfred Dreares, drums
Mal Waldron, piano
An unjustly neglected Impulse release, I believe it has only seen CD release in Japan.

TRACK 6:
Blue Star (Benny Carter)
Eddie Johnson, INDIAN SUMMER (Nessa)

Johnson, tenor sax
Paul Serrano, trumpet
John Young, piano
Eddie de Haas, bass
George Hughes, drums
I'll say it again: If you haven't gotten this from Chuck, GET IT!

TRACK 7:
ROCKIN IN RHYTHM (DUKE ELLINGTON)
Dave Stryker, BLUE TO THE BONE VOL 2 (CRISS CROSS)
Stryker, guitar

blue-to-the-bone-II-cover.jpg

I heartily recommend the first three Blue to the Bone CDs, and don't recommend the latest only because I didn't even know there was a Volume 4 out.

TRACK 8:
The answer is here:
:P :P :P :P :P
ORGANISSIMO
Sweet Potato Pie (Arno Marsh)
Broadcast July 11 2005
Blue Lake Radio
Jim Alfredson, organ
Joe Gloss, guitar
Randy Marsh, drums
Arno Marsh, tenor sax
I wanted to program an Org track and this one was perfect as its not an official release. Pretty good sound for being recorded live as a low bit-rate stream, huh? Lots of praise for the organ and guitar, but those guys don't need to be told they're pretty good.

TRACK 9:
The Street Preacher Part 1 & 2 (Ge-Lu Records, rec. 1987)
GENE LUDWIG
Gene Ludwig, organ
Tony Janfione Sr guitar
John Smith percussion
This was one I really figured someone would get. Its the 45 that Gene Ludwig self-produced and was offered as a bonus on his posthumous release of Cole Porter tunes on Big O Records.
From the thread about the CD, I believe MG ordered the disc but couldn't be sure if he ordered the 45 too. Mike Weil made specific mention that he would order the 45 too, so I was expecting he would get it. And I really figured someone else would have ordered the bonus 45 too and had a shot at recognizing it.
Oh well, not universally loved but not loathed either, I have no problem with it, electronics or no.

TRACK 10:
"Birth of a Band'
RAY CHARLES Live in Brazil 1963 DVD
Featuring Fathead Newman and Tina Brooks
Got pretty sneaky on this one. DVD Audio Extraction software is pretty cool! And I thought this was a great track to use as a lot of people flipped out when they saw Tina Brooks on video way back when.

TRACKs 11-14:
Now we get to the Gene Harris/Not Gene Harris segment. Not many people paid attention to that but as you see the progression you'll understand my purposes.
Track 11
Hot Bread (Gene Harris)
Four Sounds demo from original 78 acetate

Lonnie "The Sound" Walker, tenor sax
Gene Harris, piano
Andy Simpkins, bass
Bill Dowdy, drums
The first known recording of the original Three Sounds including forgotten saxophonist Lonnie Walker, whose nickname gave the group its name. I actually shared this recording with the board years ago when I purchased the acetate, which I consider my most priceless recording. But no one got this one. Interesting though that there were references to some of Gene's early influences like Erroll Garner

TRACK 12:
I'm Beginning to See the Light
Gene Harris Stereo-Gems 45
Gene Harris piano, unknown bass and drums
Another recording I shared with the board, and not so long ago. Jim did remember it and we both still believe this is "the" Gene Harris. But we can only say that is "a" Gene Harris for sure.

TRACK 13:
Old Devil Moon
Gene Harris Trio, Our Love is Here to Stay (Jubilee)
Harris, piano
Mike Long, bass
George Herman, drums
Jim also puzzled this out. Doesn't sound as much like Gene as the prior track, but it is assuredly him, per his wife Janie.
TRACK 14:
Ja Da
Eric Byrd Trio

Sourced from a youtube video:

Another serendipitous discovery right when I was programming the BFT. If you watch the vid you'll see he's explicitly paying tribute to Gene Harris, and on a tune Gene recorded with Ray Brown, as MG puzzled out only to discover he'd fallen for my nefarious scheme. :g
TRACK 15:
Walk On (Vinnegar)
Leroy Vinnegar - Sessions, Live

Vinnegar, bass, Teddy Edwards, tenor, Joe Castro, piano, Billy Higgins drums
TRACK 16:
Right, Right (Adderley)
Cannonball Adderley- Sessions, Live

Cannonball Adderley, alto sax; Nat Adderley, cornet; Junior Mance, piano; Sam Jones, acoustic double bass; Specs Wright, drums.
Board member James Harrod does fantastic research and I found out about this series of LP releases here:

I strongly recommend exploring his blog. Sourced from a weekly jazz show, the Sessions Live releases that I have found are quite nice and not very expensive. Apparently hardbopjazz and Jim S. haven't listened to my last CDR shipment, because not two months before the BFT, I sent a compilation of Sessions, Live performances including these two. But they didn't realize it or they haven't listened yet. (Jim got Cannonball but I really figured he'd know Teddy Edwards).

Edited by Dan Gould

TRACK 9:

GENE LUDWIG

Gene Ludwig, organ

Tony Janfione Sr guitar

John Smith percussion

This was one I really figured someone would get. Its the 45 that Gene Ludwig self-produced and was offered as a bonus on his posthumous release of Cole Porter tunes on Big O Records.
From the thread about the CD, I believe MG ordered the disc but couldn't be sure if he ordered the 45 too. Mike Weil made specific mention that he would order the 45 too, so I was expecting he would get it. And I really figured someone else would have ordered the bonus 45 too and had a shot at recognizing it.
Oh well, not universally loved but not loathed either, I have no problem with it, electronics or no.

You're right, Dan, and I did order the 45, but I haven't received it yet. My credit card hasn't been charged, so I guess Jim's got stock problems.

MG

Oh, well ......

I should have got some more identified, for sure. It's amazing how closely you follow my activities on the board. Geez ....

I am less familiar with the South African guys than you might think - I name checked Dudu? Can't remember doing that. But I could have guessed where they're from.

That Impression track from Whittaker's band didn't impress me that much - I think when you#re playing a Coltrane tune from that period you should take it at least as much outside as the original. That the first track left such a lasting impression is due to the excellent groove they hit more than the Messengers feel. (That much for impressions a track leaves ...)

Bellson with Edison ... Edison popped up in my mind, but I wasn't sure enough about it. I always liked him, but never checked his discography that thoroughly. But I have heard more spectactular work from both.

Wasn't that Waldron music made as a movie soundtrack? I was curious about that but never got it ... Coleman sounds very much inspired by Hodges et al on this. Very Ellingtonian, to me.

Eddie Johnson .... another one I never got around to go and buy.

It was around then that the computer problems that appeared intermittently toppled over. Now that I have a new graphics card it turned out this thingy was the source for most of the problems I had during the last months ...

I usually like Dave Stryker, but the way he treats that tune doesn't turn me on. I prefer him in organ combos - I think he would be a great partner for Larry Goldings.

That Organissimo broadcast track is so authentic in it's retro feel it's hard to believe - congrats! and a great choice for a Blindfold Test.

I listened to that Ludwig single just once and then shelved it with the few 45s I still have - I liked the CD much more back then. But it's a nice track. Just checked - it's still there after the move.

Fathead and Tina! They sounded familiar but I was too distracted by my computer problems to find the time to listen more thoroughly. Who's the drummer? Sounds a lot like a Quincy Jones chart. Is that DVD still available.

As for the remainder - I will listen again with the answers in mind.

Excellent compilation, and great choices, Dan!

p.s. Gene Harris impressed me the most when I saw him live with the Ray Brown Trio. What a blues drenched pianist!

TRACK 9:

GENE LUDWIG

Gene Ludwig, organ
Tony Janfione Sr guitar
John Smith percussion

You're right, Dan, and I did order the 45, but I haven't received it yet. My credit card hasn't been charged, so I guess Jim's got stock problems.

MG

If it's no longer available, you can have my copy! (Not that it's bad music, but I am out of shelf space ...)

Edited by mikeweil

Oh, well ......

I should have got some more identified, for sure. It's amazing how closely you follow my activities on the board. Geez ....

Not stalking you, Mike, I swear. But the search function is a wonderful thing. If you're wondering how many people bought somethng and there's a dedicated thread, you can read through and see who said what, then cross-reference your list of participants and, viola, as Kelly Bundy would say, you know who bought what you're using.

I am less familiar with the South African guys than you might think - I name checked Dudu? Can't remember doing that. But I could have guessed where they're from.

Just happened to see this, sometime since the New Year when I came across this particular track. Again, no cyber-stalker here!

Wasn't that Waldron music made as a movie soundtrack? I was curious about that but never got it ... Coleman sounds very much inspired by Hodges et al on this. Very Ellingtonian, to me.

Yes, and the track I used is the theme from the movie.

I listened to that Ludwig single just once and then shelved it with the few 45s I still have - I liked the CD much more back then. But it's a nice track. Just checked - it's still there after the move.

Funny, I bought the CD and 45 right when it was offered, but it took me until I was compiling the BFT to listen to the 45, and while I enjoyed the CD, I'd say I prefer this track to any single cut on it.

Fathead and Tina! They sounded familiar but I was too distracted by my computer problems to find the time to listen more thoroughly. Who's the drummer? Sounds a lot like a Quincy Jones chart. Is that DVD still available.

Wilbert Hogan on drums. It is available through Amazon US.

Excellent compilation, and great choices, Dan!

Glad you were able to participate and dug the compilation Mike.

Sigh... it's bad enough when you get dominated by the opposing team, let alone having an ump work you over. :P Gotta tip my hat, though. You "dug" deep on this BFT, Dan, and kicked some butts. Always chose the right "pitch", "swung" for the fences, and came up with some timely "hits" with guys on "bass". Okay, okay, ENOUGH of that! ;)

The "Sessions Live" reveals really caught me off guard (wait, that's football). I remember seeing those recordings in stores, but for some reason I never took the plunge. I could have sworn that I recognized "Walk On", but I can't seem to find it in my collection. Maybe there's an alternate title... like "Flamingo Walk", or something. :crazy:

By the way, I googled that Bellson LP, and I don't remember ever seeing that cover before. Not that I was ever looking for it, but I've seen an awful lot of records over the years, so something like this always comes as a surprise. Don Abney, eh... all I can say is I've heard the name numerous times.

I'll have to listen to that Cannonball thing again today... can't believe what I said about that track! "Chops galore, but I'm not getting quite enough soul"... where's the facepalm smiley...

Edited by Jim R

TRACK 7:

ROCKIN IN RHYTHM (DUKE ELLINGTON)
Dave Stryker, BLUE TO THE BONE VOL 2 (CRISS CROSS)
Stryker, guitar

blue-to-the-bone-II-cover.jpg

I heartily recommend the first three Blue to the Bone CDs, and don't recommend the latest only because I didn't even know there was a Volume 4 out.

So, I don't take part in a BFT and an album I know shows up. Not saying that I would have recognized it but this is a really fine album by an Omaha boy who has made good.

Dan, After reading your Reveal, I think that there should be an Advanced Blindfold Test category for your BFTs. Your BFTs are really difficult! This one is also very enjoyable and rewarding. Now that I know who was playing, I have some further investigation to do of several of these artists and albums.

I did not know about that Mal Waldron Impulse album, and that is one I really want to investigate further. I love the fact that we were able to hear such an early South African jazz recording on #2--that is just the kind of rare treat that makes any BFT really great.

It is pretty embarassing that we were not able to recognize Organissimo by sound! That was a nice touch, to include them.

Dan, After reading your Reveal, I think that there should be an Advanced Blindfold Test category for your BFTs. Your BFTs are really difficult! This one is also very enjoyable and rewarding. Now that I know who was playing, I have some further investigation to do of several of these artists and albums.

Thanks, HP. Its funny though because the alternative BFT programming idea I toyed with was an 80 minute disc of gimmes. Coltrane playing Blue Train, Miles doing My Funny Valentine, things like that, so anyone not getting at least 90% would be :blush: . Maybe next time - I guess I owe you guys one.

But I think the best part of any BFT is what you alluded to ... introducing previously unknown recordings that really strike the participants and make them want to seek out more.

Dan, thanks again for a fantastic BFT! This will definitely get repeated playings. Gotta say, the last buncha BFT's have been extremely enjoyable and fun and swinging (yes, I know my BFT is part of that bunch, OF COURSE I like my own BFT! :w).

Track 2: Not that I'm any expert on Dudu Pukwana, I've listened to his work on Hugh Masekela's HOME IS WHERE THE MUSIC IS zillions of times that I'm surprised I didn't notice him on track 2. After reading this Reveal, I went back and listened to it and there it is in plain sight. Or sound!

Track 4: When I got home, I listened to ELLIS IN WONDERLAND just to see if there was anything even remotely close to this track. Again, I don't know what I was thinking. But I sure hope I can find this LP sometime! Sweets? Louie Bellson? Um YES!!!

Track 11: the one time, THE ONE TIME, I woulda got a BFT track that NOBODY else got, and I put off my guesses until after the Reveal! AAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Track 12: well, now I know why this sounded so familiar, having been one of the recipients of your digital generosity when you came across this. Again, happy to have THIS back in the collection!

Again, thanks for another great BFT, Dan! :tup :tup :tup

• 1 month later...

Man, on track 5, I wish I'd commented my full thought. Something about it reminded me of a Music Minus One set I have with Mal Waldron's trio. Gee, I wonder why. ;)

Track 8, well played, sir.

Track 10, I wondered if it was Ray's band, but figured I was being duped by the Hit The Road Jack comping.

Track 11, again, well played, sir.