MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how does everyone feel about their own team as we wait for first pitches?

I am ever so cautiously optimistic that:

Jon Lester will regain his mojo, partially due to the return of the former pitching coach as manager

John Lackey will pitch much better now that he is healthy. And while he's grossly overpaid, if he pitches like a number three in the number 5 slot, that's pretty good

The bullpen is going to be shut-down, with two closers, not to mention two topnotch Japanese righthanders, Andrew Miller as lefty strikeout guy, Aceves as swing man, and Daniel Bard, should he regain his consistency, waiting on the farm.

My worries are:

Ortiz is out longer and starts showing his age;

Shane Victorino was a shitty contract for a guy rapidly aging before our eyes

Gomes can be a great clubhouse influence but he's still a butcher in LF and will flail against righties.

I think the ship is turning and the team will be decent, but better days aren't far away.

Think the Giants and Dodgers will fight for first place in the West throughout the season, but I hate to pick against the Giants with their pitching. This will be the most important season in Tim Lincecum, another bad season, and he'll be on the free-agent market, but I have a feeling the he will do that even if he has a great season. I'm really looking forward to the season, it should be a great one out here in the West Coast.

edit for spelling *Sigh*

Edited by Matthew

Being a Royals fan, this is the first season I can remember where not only myself, but most Royals fas, feel incredibly optimistic.

The addition of Shields and Davis from the Myers trade should really help us turn our rotation around. I'm not high on Santana bouncing back, but I hope he does. And if Guthrie can continue to pitch the way he did the second half of last season this team could be far more dangerous than it looks.

Still a ton of question marks offensively, especially since it seems as though Hosmer still hasn't corrected his swing. And if we're going to have a winning season he and Moustakas are going to have to hit.

Still, I'm feeling really good about our season.

I enjoyed the win last night, and the pageantry of the first game. Not realistic that the Astros are going to do much more than be cellar dwellers, but it sure would be nice to see them exceed everyone's expectations.

Rooting for Bo Porter and Jose Altuve at any rate!

Man, first time up and Bryce Harper hits a home run. Say what you want about the guy, but he's a player.

Second time up, a homer.

Aren't all players...um, players?

No, some guys are just filling up space, but a guy like Harper, who can dominate in every aspect of the game, now he's a player

Edited by Matthew

Happy New Year, everyone!

Baseball is BACK!

Think the Giants and Dodgers will fight for first place in the West throughout the season, but I hate to pick against the Giants with their pitching. This will be the most important season in Tim Lincecum, another bad season, and he'll be on the free-agent market, but I have a feeling the he will do that even if he has a great season. I'm really looking forward to the season, it should be a great one out here in the West Coast.

edit for spelling *Sigh*

If that happens, I think Lincecum needs to go into the pen as the Giants' set-up man to Romo.

That would be one deadly combo if you ask me.

I enjoyed the win last night, and the pageantry of the first game. Not realistic that the Astros are going to do much more than be cellar dwellers, but it sure would be nice to see them exceed everyone's expectations.

Rooting for Bo Porter and Jose Altuve at any rate!

I dunno, Aggie.

Unless the A's have another comeback miracle season like last year, the 'Stros could end up no worse than 3rd in the AL West.

The power is with the Angels. The pitching with the Rangers. Seattle won't be much of a factor. A's will continue to struggle putting up the numbers. And your guys are a clear 3rd in my mind...maybe even better. You just never know with the AL West.

Edited by GoodSpeak

You're either vastly overestimating the talent on the Astros, or much more optimistic about them than I am. I'm not familiar with the AL West teams, being new to the AL in general. But I still think the Astros will end up being the worst team in MLB this season. For the third year in a row.

You're either vastly overestimating the talent on the Astros, or much more optimistic about them than I am. I'm not familiar with the AL West teams, being new to the AL in general. But I still think the Astros will end up being the worst team in MLB this season. For the third year in a row.

Trust me.

The AL West is very competitive, this is true, but the leaders change frequently. I really think Houston has a fighting chance.

I'm a Yank fan and I doubt they'll make the playoffs this year. The pitching would have to be otherworldly to do that, and while it could be very good I don't see a phenomenal staff this year. Age/injuries are taking their toll, and now it's time to pay the piper. MAYBE the Yanks will finally get serious about building up the farm system, which has many suspects but not many prospects.

2013 Predictions

NL

East - Nats

Central - Reds

West - Giants

WC - Braves & Dodgers

AL

East - Blue Jays

Central - Tigers

West - Angels

WC - Rangers & A's

The Phillies are in trouble. Hamels and Lee will be fine but Halladay is about done. That leaves Kyle Kendrick and John Lannan(shuddder) to round out their starting pitching. They are better than last year's team but the Nats and the Braves got a whole lot better over the off season. I predict the Braves and the Nats will both win over 100 games this year. Mets are coming up too. I'm thinking 4th in the East for my Phillies. Oh well it was a good run while it lasted.

Oops! Almost forgot -

WS - Nats over the Angels

Oh and Houston will finish dead last n the MLB.

Since the thread commences up to begin after the game has past worn down, can the results of the nite's cage be examined for authintaitonship for the commissioner's office?

What on earth is "authintaitonship"?

Like provenance of authenticity only more questionable as to it being reality-based rather than bad dream-based, like getting blown out 8-2 by the Astros.

Although I must admit, I did feel good for the Astros. But just this once, ok?

Edited by JSngry