MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Word has it that Mr. April has until today to accept a suspension starting this and including all next year without pay. If he doesn't accept it will be a lifetime ban. It might be announced as early as today. If he accepts the ban he still can get his salary from 2015 & 2016, which is $60+ million. With a lifetime ban he wouldn't see a penny of it.

Mr. April will probably fight the lifetime ban. Even if an arbitrator reduces it to a year....he's missing most if not all of next year., which is what the Yankees would prefer anyway.

2. Safe to say that the Stros have officially thrown in the towel for this season with the trading of their closer (Jose Veras) to Detroit for a prospect and the usual player to be named later.

Edited by Blue Train

I'd like to see A-Rod gone from the Yankees - although at this point I don't care much about baseball - but I would bet that an arbitrator would rule against a suspension that carries into next season, since he has never received any suspension before this.

The arbitrator has to rule within the bounds of the payers/owners agreement, no matter what the people who run baseball want.

I think its an open question whether a punishment can be applied for multiple discreet events - purchasing drugs/lying about it or obstructing the investigation by MLB. How did Braun end up with 65 days? I mean, he did accept the penalty so there was no arbitration decision but still ...

According to the Globe, George 'Boomer' Scott has died. He was 69.

Check out his stats here.

3rd in the RoY balloting at age 22, a great sophomore season too, then a pretty damn good peak from his age 26 to age 33 seasons, even more so when you consider the era. And a great fielder, too with 8 Gold Gloves. I loved watching that guy.

RIP Boomer.

3rd in the RoY balloting at age 22, a great sophomore season too, then a pretty damn good peak from his age 26 to age 33 seasons, even more so when you consider the era. And a great fielder, too with 8 Gold Gloves. I loved watching that guy.

RIP Boomer.

I still remember Boomer hitting his Taters. R.I.P.

Edited by paul secor

RIP Boomer.

Ahh...I loved watching him too. As well as his answer when asked about his necklace of shells and whatnot. "They're second basemen's teeth." :lol:

It's looking like Mr. April will be suspended under the CBA instead of the drug rules. That way even if he appeals he will still have to sit until the process is finished. Meaning he will miss @ least the rest of this season. Unless the arbitrator agrees to stay it, which is unusual in the process.

alex r. may be pissing away a hundred million dollars. this seems to me a carrot for the yankees.

http://deadspin.com/mlb-tells-the-union-whos-getting-suspended-announceme-974074611?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

"The Associated Press's sources say both MLB and the union are trying to reach as many agreements as possible to head off embarrassing, and potentially CBA-shattering grievance hearings. The drug policy indicates that suspensions become effective on the third business day after punishments are handed down, so that makes Friday the most likely day for a public announcement.

But by all accounts, there's one player who has no intention of making a deal. Alex Rodriguez's lawyer said Monday he plans to fight any suspension, and it could get ugly.

I got to meet and have a nice chat with Gene Bennett at this year's Wheelersburgh, OH HS Reunion (my mother-in-law is Class of 1938), during which time I saw my first real up-close-in-the-flesh World Series ring. Interesting guy not lacking in stories to tell.

I'll believe when I see it.

Braun got a free pass in his "MVP" year from Selig. The Mitchell report completely excluded all BoSox players because the author was a BoSox fan. Why should we expect Selig will actually be fair this time?

This whole PEDs thing is a big bunch of selective bullshit.

With the trade of Bud Norris to the Orioles, the Astros' 2013 team payroll has now dropped from an already MLB low of $16M to $13M. For the ENTIRE team!

If I remember correctly, the owner of the team was paid handsomely in some sort of compensation agreement [ 40 MIL?] for the change to move the team to the American League.

My son in law is from Houston and a life_long Astros fan.....poor guy

With the trade of Bud Norris to the Orioles, the Astros' 2013 team payroll has now dropped from an already MLB low of $16M to $13M. For the ENTIRE team!

I just looked up the MLB minimum player salary which this year is $490,000, so if ALL Astros were paid the absolute minimum on the 25 player roster would come to $12,250,000