MLB 2013 Season

With the trade of Bud Norris to the Orioles, the Astros' 2013 team payroll has now dropped from an already MLB low of $16M to $13M. For the ENTIRE team!

I just looked up the MLB minimum player salary which this year is $490,000, so if ALL Astros were paid the absolute minimum on the 25 player roster would come to $12,250,000

I saw that figure in an article on the Houston Chronicle's website:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2013/07/31/young-get-younger-as-astros-make-several-moves/?cmpid=sportshcat

I don't know how all the numbers are calculated, but that's still a crazy figure.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the trade of Bud Norris to the Orioles, the Astros' 2013 team payroll has now dropped from an already MLB low of $16M to $13M. For the ENTIRE team!

I just looked up the MLB minimum player salary which this year is $490,000, so if ALL Astros were paid the absolute minimum on the 25 player roster would come to $12,250,000

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2013/07/31/young-get-younger-as-astros-make-several-moves/?cmpid=sportshcat

I don't know how all the numbers are calculated, but that's still a crazy figure.

I just want to know which Astros player are over paid :D

I feel for you. They're probably looking @ a 4th 100+ loss season next year as well.

Selig's deal for the Astros (making them move to the AL) is even worse than his bargain with Peter Angelos for a monopoly on tv broadcast rights in the region for Baltimore-Washington. It's really 2 markets, and Washington should be getting a greater share of the money made from MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network), or free to negotiate its own tv deal with another vendor.

No big deal to send a team to another league? Well then why didn't Selig just RETURN Milwaukee to the AL where they began and where they belong, instead of disrupt Houston's baseball history to this degree?

Selig's deal for the Astros (making them move to the AL) is even worse than his bargain with Peter Angelos for a monopoly on tv broadcast rights in the region for Baltimore-Washington. It's really 2 markets, and Washington should be getting a greater share of the money made from MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network), or free to negotiate its own tv deal with another vendor.

No big deal to send a team to another league? Well then why didn't Selig just RETURN Milwaukee to the AL where they began and where they belong, instead of disrupt Houston's baseball history to this degree?

In addition Houston now has the WORST travel schedule in MLB, by far.

They have more multiple time zone trips to make [now being in the AL] than anybody.

I agree, BT - another 100 loss season is on the tap for next year. And it's gonna be a while before they're even a .500 team again.

The Astros' lone World Series appearance in 2005 seems like it was decades ago now. Even at the time I figured it would be a while before they returned, but never envisioned what's happened since.

Decent roster then too, shame they were completely swept by the White Sox

:
Roger Clemens

Andy Pettite

Roy Oswalt

Brad Lidge

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio

Lance Berkman

It hasn't been fun to be an Astros fan for a while now. Probably the highlight of my "fandom" was in 1988 when the Astros came to Olsen Field in College Station for an exhibition game vs. the Aggies. I went with a friend of mine who happened to be in a wheelchair, and enjoyed the game. But afterwards he was invited down on the field to meet the Astros, so he dragged me out there with him! So I got to stand and chat with Hal Lanier, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Glenn Davis, Bill Doran, Alan Ashby, Denny Walling, Billy Hatcher, and Gerald Young. I managed to grab a dirty baseball from the field and got autographs even!

xk9e.jpg

I was a fan UNTIL 2005, which is the year Houston went to the WS! Switched allegiance totally to Washington. So now my DC team may have to wait just as long as Houston did before going to the World Series. I may be dead before then!

'86 was certainly a highlight. Great championship series with the Mets, who went on to win it all that year. The earlier team with Enos Cabell, JR Richard, Art Howe, Craig Reynolds, Alan Ashby, Terry Puhl, they were great to follow!

I agree, BT - another 100 loss season is on the tap for next year. And it's gonna be a while before they're even a .500 team again.

If they do lose 100+ this year and next year....they tie the Washington Senators and NY Mets with 4 straight 100+ loss seasons and they were the first 4-years as expansion teams. The Mets would have 5 out of their first 6 years. The Phillies have the record with 5 (1938-1942) and 7 out of 10 staring in 1936.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/10-teams-that-lost-100-games-in-consecutive-3794539.php

Edited by Blue Train

They have more multiple time zone trips to make [now being in the AL] than anybody.

"I'd think they'd have as many as the Rangers. No? Same league, same division, same time zone."

Let's call it equally bad and much worse that being in the NL from where they are located....previously they played the Cubs, St. Louis, Cinci, Milwaukee, Colorado...even Arizona was a relatively easy trip and now add 3 west coast teams instead of 2, and much more east coast play in the AL.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/02/report-if-a-rod-is-banned-for-life-rangers-will-still-owe-him-over-40m/

"If Rodriguez is indeed banned for life, the Yankees will likely be freed from the roughly $100 million that he’s owed until his contract expires in 2017.

Texas, on the other hand, would still be on the hook, according to the Dallas Morning News."

I don't think that baseball would be foolish enough to try and ban someone who's never been previously suspended for life. There would no doubt be a court case and we all remember what happened with Bonds and Clemens. This would be a bigger mess. Then again, we're talking Bud Selig here ....

"I don't think that baseball would be foolish enough to try and ban someone who's never been previously suspended for life."

i do-selig is just doing the yankee's bidding.

I don't think that baseball would be foolish enough to try and ban someone who's never been previously suspended for life. There would no doubt be a court case and we all remember what happened with Bonds and Clemens. This would be a bigger mess. Then again, we're talking Bud Selig here ....

Actually he did test positive in 2003 as part of the survey testing. It just doesn't count. He also has admitted to taking PED between 2000-2003. Not that anyone believes he stopped in 2003.

Having saying that....if they ban him for life it will be for trying to impede the case and lying, which Selig can do according to the CBA. There is even something even rarer used in the the CBA that would allow Selig to ban him for life and the only person Rodriguez could appeal to would be to Selig. It bypasses an arbitrator outright.

Even if it goes to an arbitrator under the CBA the arbitrator can't stay the suspension, or overturn it if Selig uses his powers as commissioner in the CBA....like he could if it was brought under the Drug rules.

The mess really isn't in court which unlike with Bonds (who was found guilty of perjury and it would have been worse if his trainer (who was most likely was paid off by Bonds to shut up) would have testified and Clemons....it would be a civil case and not criminal. They don't have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt....but the preponderance of the evidence.

The real mess is if the union is willing to back Rodriguez and demand an opening of the CBA. Selig is going to have to have provide a great deal of evidence for the union to not do that if they do decide to back Rodriguez.

Edited by Blue Train

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/02/report-if-a-rod-is-banned-for-life-rangers-will-still-owe-him-over-40m/

"If Rodriguez is indeed banned for life, the Yankees will likely be freed from the roughly $100 million that he’s owed until his contract expires in 2017.

Texas, on the other hand, would still be on the hook, according to the Dallas Morning News."

It would be a lot more than $100 million when you add in the luxury tax.

I'd think they'd have as many as the Rangers. No? Same league, same division, same time zone.

I'm guessing the interleague is slightly different, perhaps even on away games. Let's see, Houston had to play at Pittsburgh. The Rangers faced AZ. I think those were unique opponents for each.

Always a good reminder once the playoffs roll around is that it can be difficult to compare records due to scheduling differences.

thurman munson, in sun and shade

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/thurman-munson-in-sun-and-shade-1001467402?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"Today is the 34th anniversary of Thurman Munson's death. This was originally published in the September 1999 issue of Esquire. Reprinted here with the author's permission."

"The problem with a year like 1998 is a year like 1999: a great team playing great sometimes and looking anemic at other times. But always haunted: Paul O’Neill haunted by the 1998 Paul O’Neill; Jorge Pasada haunted by the 1998 Jorge Posada. And then every Yankee haunted by every other Yankee who’s come before. Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle. To this day, even though the clubhouse is a packed place—Bernie Williams is jammed in one corner with his Gibson guitar and crates of fan mail; big Roger Clemens is jammed next to O’Neill, no small man himself—Thurman Munson’s locker remains empty. It stands near Derek Jeter’s, on the far left side of the blue-carpeted clubhouse, near the training room, a tiny number 15 stenciled above it.

When I ask Jeter if he remembers anything about Thurman Munson, he smiles, looks over his shoulder at the empty locker, and says, Not really. He was a bit before my time. Jeter is twenty-five, which would make him a Winfield-era Yankee fan. But when I ask Jeter if anyone ever uses it, even to stow a pair of cleats or extra bats or something, he looks at me quizzically and says, Uh, no, it’s like his locker, man. It still belongs to him."

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Ron Washington today became the winningest manager in Texas Rangers history, which is probably like having the world's largest collection of Edsels or something, but still, he is loved here, and the wish is for many, many more of those wins to accrue.

The man whose total he today topped is Bobby Valentine, who is not so loved here. Not so much at all.

And then there's Johnny Oates, who is still loved, but still dead too soon.

Tough DC schedule ahead: 3 v Atlanta, 3 v Philadelphia, 3 v SF. We could well be 17+ games behind the Braves by the time those series are through. Not Dark Yet (But Getting There!)

You wouldn't want to read the Nationals discussion boards right about now.

for one, even last year, the nats needed a younger, more relevant, more responsive manager.