MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tune in at any given point in a baseball game, and there is a very good chance you are going to see people standing around doing nothing.

http://www.newser.com/story/170904/baseball-games-contain-about-18-minutes-of-baseball.html

The link it has to scorekeeping. I do it for games I go to, or see on tv. My grandfather taught me initially. Though I have moved onto using Reisner. So much easier and next to now backtracking. For anyone like me that likes to use a pencil, but add some color to their scorecard. I recommend the Uni-ball Jetstream 4&1 Color.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/sports/baseball/who-scores-games-by-hand-anymore.html?pagewanted=all

Reisners for anyone interested.

http://www.reisnerscorekeeping.com/

Edited by Blue Train

4 ex-phillies with brain cancer

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/cancer/215604051.html?authenticate=y

Tug McGraw. John Vukovich. Johnny Oates. And now Darren Daulton. All four played for the Phillies at Veterans Stadium, and all four developed brain cancer. Is there a connection? The rate of brain cancers in team members from that era appears to be about three times the rate in the adult male population.

"

Edited by alocispepraluger102

never heard of HR derby champ.....

He's a good hitter from the A's, I think he's in his second year. A lot of A's players get little or no recognition.

He's had a classic sophomore slump. Even when he's off he's an exciting at bat. Last year he was better after the break. Often you don't want your player entered in the HR contest for fear it'll mess up the swing, but in this case maybe the contest busted his bad habits/luck.

...and in other news, the Houston Astros are bringing up the rear for all of MLB. Go 'Stros!

LastrosLogo.jpg

Not sure why Crane was so desperate to buy a team that he agreed to have the team moved to the AL as part of the sale.

Going from the NL to the AL and with that payroll. It's a miracle they won as many as they have. Unfortunately they're going to be bad for a good while. They better hope the farm system turns out to be as good as people are rating it. Mark Appel has the makings of a potential big name pitcher if he stays healthy.

At least if they ever get a hitter that's any good....they can move him to DL as he get's older.

P.S. At least on the "bright side" front this year.....Tampa Bay and Miami have a worse attendance....and Tampa Bay is in 2nd in the East.

Edited by Blue Train

Yes, that was a forced requirement as a condition to the sale of the team to Crane. None of my relatives in Houston (or any Stros fans in the rest of Texas that I know of) were a fan of the move in the first place.

BT - the Astros' AA team is located here in Corpus Christi, and they've got some decent talent, fun to go to their games, too (they've got a great stadium with a swimming pool behind right field that you can rent and watch the game from, even). Hopefully that talent transitions up the chain to AAA and the bigs some day.

Part of the problem for the Astros is that they gutted any talent they had over the past couple of years, and traded it all away for prospects, and then moved too many of them up to the majors before they were ready.

@ GA Russell - it was $70 million with half paid by McLane and half by the MLB

@ Aggie87 - have a good deal of family/friends from/in Texas. The few that are Stros fans hated it and I have yet to hear from any friend that does haha

They're probably looking @ next year's #1 pick as well. The third year in a row if I am not mistaken. The top prospects are all pitchers.

Now onto shit Joe Canseco tweets. :crazy:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-06/jose-canseco-who-insane-dropped-some-science

Edited by Blue Train

Nah.

Goody [me] is a realist who knows July isn't the time to decide who is good and who isn't.

:w:w:w:w

Come on....the Stros have 66 games to make up the 23.5 games they're behind. ;)

At this point they're trying to avoid their third 100+ losing season while still getting the #1 pick in next year's draft.

I feel bad for the fans. As well as the players that are being thrown into the meat grinder in hopes of higher draft picks.

It's going to be ugly for many years unless Crane starts bringing in free agents. Even when they start bringing up the players from their farm system....it's going to take them a few years to live up to the hype.

As Aggie87 pointed out....this is going to be a complete stripping/rebuilding from the foundation up.

Edited by Blue Train