MLB 2013 Season

So how does everyone feel about their own team as we wait for first pitches?

I am ever so cautiously optimistic that:

Jon Lester will regain his mojo, partially due to the return of the former pitching coach as manager

John Lackey will pitch much better now that he is healthy. And while he's grossly overpaid, if he pitches like a number three in the number 5 slot, that's pretty good

The bullpen is going to be shut-down, with two closers, not to mention two topnotch Japanese righthanders, Andrew Miller as lefty strikeout guy, Aceves as swing man, and Daniel Bard, should he regain his consistency, waiting on the farm.

My worries are:

Ortiz is out longer and starts showing his age;

Shane Victorino was a shitty contract for a guy rapidly aging before our eyes

Gomes can be a great clubhouse influence but he's still a butcher in LF and will flail against righties.

I think the ship is turning and the team will be decent, but better days aren't far away.

The Giants will continue to be a force with defense and pitching though I do worry about a less-than-stellar bull pen. Kontos and Casilla in particular.

They will still hit for average, preferring little ball over HRs.

As always, winning the NL West will be a struggle against the usual suspects: Dodgers, D'Backs and Rocks.

BTW...Cain looked pretty sharp with six shutout innings yesterday. Sadly, Kontos and Casilla didn't.

Good wins for Mets and Halos. Great relief pitching for Halos. Scott Rice, a 14 year veteran of the minors, finally got a chance to pitch in the major leagues by pitching the 9th for the Mets.

Yeah, I'd say the Angels are a legit contender for the World Series this year.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are my predictions for this season.

AL East

Tampa Bay

AL Central

Detroit

AL West

LA Angels

Wild Card

Texas Rangers

NL East

Washington

NL Central

Cincinnati

NL West

San Francisco

Wild Card

LA Dodgers

World Series

Detroit and Cincinnati

(I'm probably WAY off!)

AL East

Tampa Bay

AL Central

Detroit

AL West

LA Angels

Wild Card

Texas Rangers

NL East

Washington

NL Central

Cincinnati

NL West

San Francisco

Wild Card

LA Dodgers

World Series

Detroit and Cincinnati

(I'm probably WAY off!)

You are! There are 2 wildcards in each league beginning this year.

That was a very entertaining game, the one which the Rangers played to made it back to .500.

They'd not had a losing record since sometime early in 2010, I heard. It's been fun.

But for that other thing, Kenny Rogers is still the man, and in 1994. Mark Holtz was still alive (and on the radio). Guess I should break out the VCR and watch it one day/night.

And get the thing oiled up good for the next one...someday...

Numerous times n TV, and once in person, yeah. Took my son to see it, just so he could tell his kids that he got to see Nolan Ryan pitch.

And Nolan pitched a damn good game that night, against the As. Nolan didn't finish it, but he won it. We sat up high, but behind home plate. So the kick was in front of us on every pitch.

I strongly recommend taking kids to see legends play. Or just taking them to a game period. But especially if there's legends involved. It'll be a story forever for them, and I do believe in leaving your kids with some stories to tell, some good ones, and some fun ones and some funny ones. You want them to smile and laugh when they think about you when they're gone (or you're really gone). And really, what better place to laugh and have fun than at a game?

AL East

Tampa Bay

AL Central

Detroit

AL West

LA Angels

Wild Card

Texas Rangers

NL East

Washington

NL Central

Cincinnati

NL West

San Francisco

Wild Card

LA Dodgers

World Series

Detroit and Cincinnati

(I'm probably WAY off!)

You are! There are 2 wildcards in each league beginning this year.

Then I will add the 2 extra wildcards;

NL

Atlanta

AL

Chicago White Sox

Jim

Ever see Nolan Ryan pitch?

I have. Even watched him toss a no-no once.

The guy was a monster!

Not when he was a Met! Typical line: 8 IP, 9K, 9 BB

True.

But he was just getting control of his fastball back then. With the Angels he vastly improved. Houston and Texas did well with him in the rotation as well.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Interesting match up in pitchers tonight at Dodger Stadium: Josh Becket vs. Tim Lincecum. Both these guys need a good year, especially Lincecum, since he took a steep drop-off last year in quality. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Interesting match up in pitchers tonight at Dodger Stadium: Josh Becket vs. Tim Lincecum. Both these guys need a good year, especially Lincecum, since he took a steep drop-off last year in quality. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I would argue Becket needs it worse than Lincecum.

He has been mediocre at best for quite awhile now.

Neither one was all that great last night, Beckett got the loss, and Lincecum went five for the win, 0 runs, but 7 walks in 5 innings.

Neither one was all that great last night, Beckett got the loss, and Lincecum went five for the win, 0 runs, but 7 walks in 5 innings.

Still Spring, though. Most pitchers struggle a bit.

But at least Lincecum wasn't giving up runs or the long ball. Becket was. I'll take that for now.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Five partial player comments from the 1997 Baseball Prospectus annual:

1. On Mariano Rivera: "... I think he needs a better second pitch and more work. The better second pitch is a big issue, because Rivera got hit worst when he fell behind and had to come in with a fastball for a strike. Without one, I think he'll decline further this year.

2. On Trot Nixon: "One of the more overrated prospects in baseball. Nixon has more tools than Home Depot, but he uses them about as well as the government uses tax revenues. His back troubles have damaged his game as well. As Boston's #1 pick in 1993, he'll get plenty of chances to embarrass himself in the majors."

3. On Tim Wakefield: "Three years after nearly washing out of baseball, two years after nearly winning the Cy Young and just months after a temporary demotion to the pen, Wakefield may have found his niche: middle-of-the-rotation innings eater."

4. On Jeff Bagwell: "A fine defender, intelligent baserunner, and one of the best power hitters in the game. Still looks like an adult Bud Bundy ...."

5. On David Ortiz: "... He is very young, and the Twins may want him to have more than a half-season at Double A before they hand him a starting job in the majors, but his upside is very high. Think Dave Parker."

From the Boston Globe blog, Touching All The Bases.

The Trot Nixon and Mariano Rivera comments are classic but I am sure many other off-base assessments can be found.