MLB 2013 Season

The disappointment of the Division has to be the Nats. Phillies should be better and Mets are around where they should be (a little better actually than people thought) but everyone expected Nats to be one of the best teams in the League, let alone the Division.

Oh definitely. I picked the Nats to win the division. I thought they would win a 100 games this season. It was definitely a WS or bust season for them. You have to wonder if last year was their best shot.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to one of the great games of a lifetime last night at White Sox park. It's great fun to boo Alex Rodriguez even though I don't give a damn whether or not he used steroids. In the 9th innings, sure enough, the Yankees brought out the great Mariano Rivera for his final appearance in our ballpark. After two outs, we got two hits and a tying run off him - and after that clutch single, I take back all the mean things I've been saying about Adam Dunn this summer. With 2 outs in the 12th a Sox hit a grounder off the pitcher's leg, beat it into a single; the winning run scored 2 hits later. Lots of other fun stuff too. On nights like that you can't help loving this game.

The disappointment of the Division has to be the Nats. Phillies should be better and Mets are around where they should be (a little better actually than people thought) but everyone expected Nats to be one of the best teams in the League, let alone the Division.

Oh definitely. I picked the Nats to win the division. I thought they would win a 100 games this season. It was definitely a WS or bust season for them. You have to wonder if last year was their best shot.

You have to wonder if they regret shutting down Strasberg. Sometimes, when you have a shot you have to go for it.

charlie manuel's last walk out of citizens park after being fired.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20130817_Manuel_to_announce_retirement_.html

"Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. informed Manuel, during a series of recent coffee chats in Washington and Atlanta, that the team would not renew his contract following 2013. "Where are we going?" Manuel asked his boss. The Phillies knew for months. Amaro "toiled" with the decision but decided it was best not to "drag it out." He read from prepared notes Friday. He cried. Then, he patted Manuel on the back. "This isn't a blame game," Amaro said. "I'm not here to blame Charlie Manuel for our issues. I think we all have some responsibility in that regard. My job is to think about what we can do to get better in the future, and I believe this is one of the steps to try to move this thing forward." The team's executives carefully chose their words. But Manuel, 69, was fired. The prideful baseball lifer was both pragmatic and steadfast. "I didn't resign and I did not quit," Manuel said. "Let me tell you something: I've never quit nothing."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20130817_Manuel_to_announce_retirement_.html#bIR5XcxaPuHYxAPW.99"

charlie-manuel-cbp-e1376690476473.jpg?w=

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Horrifying story; abuser of steroids, and perhaps relatedly, women. The scumbag was arrested the night before the homicide for assault of his girlfriend and mother of his child but was released with no bail. Killed her the next night, in full view of at least one neighbor, who couldn't stop the brutal slashing and stopped trying to help the victim when Jared Remy slashed at him.

Oh, and their four year old was in the apartment at the time of the slaying.

The Mr. April thing hast gotten to an absurd twilight zone level. He may, or may not have thrown other players under the bus....including a teammate....whom he may or might have been the one those players even heard about Biogenesis from, which is how he was able to leak about them in the first place.

Meantime, his latest lawyer is publicly saying things that make someone I won't name that is almost never coherent actually semi-coherent. Mr. April is playing on a team he's going to sue in the end....in the meantime.....the body language from every other player says it all. It was like he was on the Red Sox tonight in the Yankees dugout.

Edited by Blue Train

You have to wonder if they regret shutting down Strasberg. Sometimes, when you have a shot you have to go for it.

I think I(and others) have mentioned this before, but they should have had him start the season a month or so later than everyone else last year. You just never know when the stars will align for a perfect playoff run. Never know what injuries will occur.

I too thought the Nats were a LOCK to win the east, and had a good shot at the W.S.

The braves were dragging their heels while the Phils and Nats got really good, young, fairly cheap, CF'ers , and didn't have to give up an arm and a leg. And unlike the Braves, aren't hampered by the worst tv deal in baseball(and for another 20 years to boot) so they can spend like crazy.

Braves waited then signed B.J. Upton to a long term deal that they will regret, when they dont' have the moola to re-sign Brian McCann. And how do you get rid of the .188 hitting B.J. without paying another team 75% + of his contract? and with his bro on the team?

Meanwhile, the braves are running away and hiding from everyone. Without their most consistent starter, Tim Hudson for the last 2 months of the year. Without a clear number 1 starter. With a CF'er hitting .188., their 2nd baseman hitting .186 (and who's eyesight was so bad before getting lasik, he was having trouble seeing the ball coming at him on the infield) with a right fielder (Jason Heyward) hitting .227 with 21 RBI's before the all-star break. SS is hitting .241.

What else, oh yeah, losing arguably the 2 best lefty relievers in the game to Tommy John surgery early in the year.. Losing jack of all trades Ramiro Pena to season ending surgery. Losing another backup 2nd baseman(Tyler Pastornicky) to season ending surgery.

Does that sound like a playoff bound team?

Thank God for toss in Chris Johnson, who came over from the Diamondbacks with Justin Upton. Evan Gattis is somehow at or near the top of the list of offensive numbers for rookies in spite of being mainly a guy off the bench. and being on the DL. Freddie Freeman can make a pretty strong argument for MVP, 81 RBI's (while being on the DL at one point) and great defense at 1st. Except for Craig Kimbrel, a bullpen of no names doing a great job, and a rotation of 26 and unders doing better than anyone could expect.

I wish the playoffs started now, with Justin and Heyward on fire, and the rotation hitting on all cylinders, I would like our chances with anyone. But, it's August, and while we beat up teams like the Cards, it was when they hit a bump in the road. The Dodgers...they scare me. Those starters can shut anyone down.

Who knows what will happen come October, but I sure couldn't have imagined in a million years the braves having a 14 1/2 game lead in August.

That's what makes baseball so great, you just can't truly predict how the season will play out. :)

Edited by BERIGAN

The most twilight zone thing about the new lawyer for Mr April is he wants people to believe that the Yankees of all teams didn't want to win.

As much billions they wasted on players no one else wanted, or would trade for....the Yankees who only a good season is winning a Championship kept someone who they knew couldn't help them win in the lineup to save about as much money as they would have made if they won. Even if the arbitrator agrees with the MLB....he's still getting close to $60 million.

Levine along with Hank (Boss Jr.) who has been doing his impersonation of George in the 80's....are the very reason Mr April was re-signed over Cashman....and they were only competing against themselves for the re-signing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/23196126/arod-escalates-war-with-yankees-team-responds-with-a-challenge

Edited by Blue Train