John Coltrane The Complete Sun Ship Sessions Mosaic 3 LP set

Damn, 30 bucks an lp!

yeah ... given the price differential with the CDs and the nature of this materials - breakdowns, false starts, etc., I can't see why the lps would interest anyone ...

The LPs will be great and LP-buyers don't have so much to go after any more. I am certainly going to buy the CDs (my LP set-up is a bit rusty). I think people will be interested and if my LP set-up were in order I would be too.

I guess that people are so used to paying about 30 bucks an lp these days. I still shudder to think about it and haven't done so. There are so many old lps out there in great condition for cheap. . . .

I've got the cd set on preorder.

The content of this release (with false starts and complete and partial alternate takes) seems better suited for CD format.

On the other hand, while pricey, the Mosaic LP release of the Monk/Coltrane concert is rather nice.

that's where I'm coming from too

People can do their own thing for sure, but I would never buy an LP if there was a CD with the same content (some labels are now putting out double-LPs with bonus material over the CD, which is quite a twist). And if the LP cost more than the CDs, it wouldn't ever cross my mind to go that route.

Damn, 30 bucks an lp!

yeah ... given the price differential with the CDs and the nature of this materials - breakdowns, false starts, etc., I can't see why the lps would interest anyone ...

The LPs will be great and LP-buyers don't have so much to go after any more. I am certainly going to buy the CDs (my LP set-up is a bit rusty). I think people will be interested and if my LP set-up were in order I would be too.

I'm not sure... I'm a big fan of vinyl and will probably go for the CDs. I really don't want to listen to take after take of the same song on vinyl. I will miss the 12x12 size booklet which is easier to read.

If you don't buy the vinyl from Mosaic, you can get 10% off at many retailers (ie SoundstageDirect) lowering the vinyl price to $81.

I've heard the set and it's definitely worth owning. The material was edited for release in such a way (solos removed or shortened, studio dialogue moved from one take to another) that there's only one track which is identical between this set and the original disc, so this isn't even an expanded version of Sun Ship - it's a companion piece. That said, $90 for 3 LPs is crazy. If it came with a download card (which a lot of LPs do now) or a CD version in a plain envelope, tucked into the sleeve (also something I've seen with, for example, recent Blue Note vinyl reissues), you could tell yourself you were buying it as an objet d'art and stick it up on a shelf and stare at it, but as it is they're just driving people to the CD version, I think.

I've heard the set and it's definitely worth owning. The material was edited for release in such a way (solos removed or shortened, studio dialogue moved from one take to another) that there's only one track which is identical between this set and the original disc, so this isn't even an expanded version of Sun Ship - it's a companion piece. That said, $90 for 3 LPs is crazy. If it came with a download card (which a lot of LPs do now) or a CD version in a plain envelope, tucked into the sleeve (also something I've seen with, for example, recent Blue Note vinyl reissues), you could tell yourself you were buying it as an objet d'art and stick it up on a shelf and stare at it, but as it is they're just driving people to the CD version, I think.

Welcome!

Cheaper as an artwork than a Damien Hirst anyway...

• 10 months later...