Archie Shepp

StarThrower

I didn't the gist of your post jsngry when I first read it... 'the drama of what the music is 'representing' as opposed to 'the maths of the changes'? Yes? ...well there is a kind of a 'Humanities-Maths' of 'the sound/expressive possibilities inherent in the horn that can 'represent' like no other. To me anyway. The best Shepp is gutwrenching and 'beautiful' like that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the links to the older threads! I guess I missed out on the Attica Blues Big Band CD? I've never read about or seen a listing for that one anywhere.

It's available direct from Futura/Marge Records in Paris

http://futuramarge.free.fr/

Not the easiest site to navigate. Click "Blue Marge" and it's # "1001".

I've bought directly from them via the website with no problem.

They've got some great stuff, but I'm not sure how to put together an order at this site? There's no shopping cart. I really like the sound of the Mal Waldron trio date from 1970, and the Sam Rivers Crosscurrent. Those two plus the Shepp Big Band would be my initial order. The Ted Curson Pop Wine sounds great too!

Edited by starthrower

Thanks for the links to the older threads! I guess I missed out on the Attica Blues Big Band CD? I've never read about or seen a listing for that one anywhere.

It's available direct from Futura/Marge Records in Paris

http://futuramarge.free.fr/

Not the easiest site to navigate. Click "Blue Marge" and it's # "1001".

I've bought directly from them via the website with no problem.

They've got some great stuff, but I'm not sure how to put together an order at this site? There's no shopping cart. I really like the sound of the Mal Waldron trio date from 1970, and the Sam Rivers Crosscurrent. Those two plus the Shepp Big Band would be my initial order. The Ted Curson Pop Wine sounds great too!

Probably the easiest way is to send an e-mail listing the CDs you want and get them to confirm the total price. You can then pay them via Paypal. As I said, I've bought this way and had no problems.

Edited by Head Man

• 2 months later...

I sent a payment via PayPal to Futura/Marge for the Shepp Big Band CD and three others, but have heard nothing after 10 days.

They don't usually confirm when an order has been dispatched so if you're worried then I would e-mail them to confirm it's been sent. I've bought from them on many occasions and had no problems.

I received a package from Futura today. I'm enjoying the Shepp Big Band CD. Too bad they couldn't use the original album covers due to a legal dispute with the photographer.

After a shopping spree, I now have five new Shepp titles including Fire Music; Steam; Yasmina/Poem For Malcolm; Antibes Festival; Attica Blues Big Band.

• 4 weeks later...

Listen to my radio doc on Archie Shepp. He, in his own wrods and music, talking about his lifeand career. Enjoy!

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/Jazz-Portraits-674/episodes/Tenor-Saxophonist-Archie-Shepp-9541

I was initially intimidated by the prospect of interviewing him, but he's a kind and generous man, and super deep. Glad you had the opportunity to spend some time talking with him and thanks for posting!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I saw Archie Shepp live for the first time when "Paris Concert" and "Bird Fire" came out. It was with the great german/french pianist Siegfried Kessler, Clifford Jarvis and maybe Bob Cunningham on bass, but it could also be a japanese bass player, it think that it was, it was again at the no more existent "Kongress Haus" in 1050 Viena, a lot of concerts were there in the late 70´s, I think it´s a Billa Market now.....