Clapton/Marsalis thread gone

fasstrack

That's ridiculous. Superfluous political commentaries should be edited by the mods so that the discussion, which was still fundamentally about music, can remain in the, you know, music section of the board.

So, in between the "Thatcher is Dead - Hip Hip HOORAY" and "Why do Tea Baggers Take the Second Amendment so Darn Seriously?" threads is one about the Clapton/Marsalis collaboration? :wacko:

It was a pretty ridiculous thread. It's beyond me why the mere mention of Marsalis (and now Clapton, plus the stuff on jazz roots, or whatever you want to call it) can produce such unhinged ire.

Still, the thread (in edited form) should have remained.

Edited by Milestones

I really don't feel that discussions concerning racism and politics need to be quarantined from every day discussion should the flow of the conversation lead in that direction, but I completely understand why Jim moved the thread.

That decision was made in the early days of this board, to keep it as "family friendly" as possible.

is still around if people want to discuss this album, though everything has been said that could be said in that thread, methinks.

I weighed whether to simply delete the political content in the other thread against the knowledge that the original thread still existed and my own curiosity of where the discussion was going to go, since it was getting farther and farther away from the topic at hand.

Regarding the isolated political forum, considering I still get people complaining about the inefficiency of the ignore system due to a seemingly chronic inability to take personal responsibility for what they click on (ie, if you don't like it, don't read it... or maybe more specifically, if you know someone's post is likely to set you off, don't read it), I can only imagine the what the fallout would be from allowing political speech to infiltrate other areas of the board.

For what it's worth, after several years of apathy in regards to my own role as moderator here, I'm taking a more active role in housekeeping. You've been warned. :)

is still around if people want to discuss this album, though everything has been said that could be said in that thread, methinks.

I weighed whether to simply delete the political content in the other thread against the knowledge that the original thread still existed and my own curiosity of where the discussion was going to go, since it was getting farther and farther away from the topic at hand.

Regarding the isolated political forum, considering I still get people complaining about the inefficiency of the ignore system due to a seemingly chronic inability to take personal responsibility for what they click on (ie, if you don't like it, don't read it... or maybe more specifically, if you know someone's post is likely to set you off, don't read it), I can only imagine the what the fallout would be from allowing political speech to infiltrate other areas of the board.

For what it's worth, after several years of apathy in regards to my own role as moderator here, I'm taking a more active role in housekeeping. You've been warned. :)

1. I bookmarked it for later reading. Should be interesting to read how a Gumbo/Snoozedhand (as Pops calls them) playing Blues thread turned political.

2. Thank you! Just as long as one way or another it's consistent.

Edited by Blue Train

Rick is not treating Chicago well?

He treats us all too well. The times I've eaten at Frontera Grill and Topolabambo, I thought I was in paradise. BTW, I just discovered that his older brother is the infamous Skip Bayless.

I've heard mixed reviews on Frontera Grill, so we've yet to try it.

Is it really that good in your opinion? Kelly and I will be up there in July by ourselves, so we may finally take the plunge.