Vinnie Riccitelli

sgcim

I've done my best to document some of the best obscure jazz musicians for Organissimo, and what do i get in return? Does larry give me that gold watch and chain he promised me?

No, man- I'm lucky to get severance pay and shit,,, :rofl:

Anyway, in my long and undistinguished career, I've had the fortune to work with some great musicians who will never be featured in your Down Beast magazine, cause they're not under 30, or the right color, or some shit..., but I did a gig with this cat yesterday, and he's still playing beautiful alto sax at the age of 87!!!

He's played with a lot of people in his time, but here's the only LP he recorded under his own name as leader. Enjoy!

He told me he did the arr. on it, and I asked him who he studied arr. with, and he pointed to himself! :Nod:

I've got that LP! Other than the connection to Westchester Workshop, I don't know a damn thing about the guy. I wish I could remember the circumstances under which I bought the LP. Seems like Riccitelli himself was involved, but it was a long time ago.

In my quest for obscure 50s jazz I found and got this LP on eBay some 10 years ago. Condition VG+ or so, but the price was right and it plays very decently. Very nice stuff that moves effortlessly, no regrets having bought this at all.

And then, a short time later a really, really dirt cheap second copy of this came my way through eBay again and ended up here. Would have liked to pass one copy on but they seem to be two different pressings. Slightly different RKO company address on the back, diferent color of the label on the record, and then the sleeve of one and the vinyl of the other are slightly better. So if I kept the better copy I'd end up with a mismatch both ways. So both records will remain. ;)

BTW, this record has since become available as a reissue via Fresh Sound (in one of their "2 LPs on one CD" reissue packages)!

So much for FS' greed for reaping utmost financial rewards, because OBVIOUSLY there's BIG BUCKS in reissuing items like this! :D (Yeah, I know that's another story so no more OT ...)

I bought the record in the early 1960s at Ralph's Supermarket in Van Nuys, Ca.

Paid all of 88 cents for It and played it MANY times.

It was my introduction to Joe Shepley, Eddie Bert, and Carmen Leggio.

http://www.discogs.com/Vinnie-Riccitelli-Unique-Jazz-From-The-Westchester-Workshop/release/2944550

The Fresh Sounds CD.

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/the_westchester_workshop__the_john_glasel_brasstet_-_rare_studio_recordings_by_two_outstanding_jazz_ensembles-cd-3547.html

Edited by flat5

Just for curiosity's sake:

A question to those of you who have this record and have it on hand:

Which pressing do you have? (Note differences of label and back cover address)

This one?

IkRIlfC7KH.JPG

Or this one?

rrgEYnMiMW.JPG

Any experts on the RKO Unique label in the room who might be able to shed any light on what these differences mean? (chronology, etc.)

Yeah, he mentioned Carmen Leggio a lot. He's lived in Yonkers all his life, so he's worked and recorded with all those cats in that area; Eddie Bert, Aaron Sachs, Joe Puma, Herb Bernstein, all fine musicians I've played with on occasion.

Aaron Sachs was an important musician in the history of jazz from the 40s up to the 60s, and he's still playing beautiful solos; he must be about 90!

He was a sideman on Red Norvo's Sextet sides in the 40s, played and recorded with Earl Hines in the 50s, appeared as a sideman on most of the Terry Gibbs recordings of the 50s, and then released at least three LPs as a leader in the late 50s, one of which featured Hall Overton and Jimmy Raney. Like a lot of the hipper NY musicians back then, Aaron studied arranging with Hall Overton, and we used to play some of his charts in a big band I played with him in for many years.

He also played on the John Lewis LP for a large ensemble ("The Golden Striker"?).

Back in the 40s, he described himself as being groomed as the "Great White Hope" of early bebop, and told me he once ran into Bird on the street, and Bird said, "I know who you are, don't go thinkin' you're so cool" (OS

LT) !

Edited by sgcim

Just for curiosity's sake:

A question to those of you who have this record and have it on hand:

Which pressing do you have? (Note differences of label and back cover address)

This one?

IkRIlfC7KH.JPG

Or this one?

rrgEYnMiMW.JPG

Any experts on the RKO Unique label in the room who might be able to shed any light on what these differences mean? (chronology, etc.)

My record is the top version, but decidedly yellow in color. But the jacket has the 17 East 45th Street (three blocks from me as I write this) address. The text, as much as I can see, matches both examples. If someone is really interested, I could e-mail a photo.

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I've got the Westchester Jazz Workshop album on Fresh Sound coupled with the John Glasel Brasstet. You get a belated gold watch from me-- Riccatelli's is terrific, unique music.

Yeah, some great writing on that one! Those two guys, Aaron and Vinnie kept gigging into their 90s. I miss Aaron a lot. His solos were great works of art.

I'll have to check out the Glasel album. Was Dick Garcia on that one?

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Yeah, some great writing on that one! Those two guys, Aaron and Vinnie kept gigging into their 90s. I miss Aaron a lot. His solos were great works of art.

I'll have to check out the Glasel album. Was Dick Garcia on that one?

THE JOHN GLASEL BRASSTET]: John Glasel (tp), Lou Mucci (tp), Jim Buffington (frh), Dick Cary (alto horn), Bill Elton (tb, vtb), Harvey Phillips (tuba), John Drew (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d). Recorded in New York City, 1959.

Most arrangements by Cary; there's an early version of Carisi's "Angkor Wat."

My friend Bill Kirchner writes of the Westchester Workshop material: "Without having heard this album but having played Vinnie’s charts some 30 years ago, I’m sure that his writing gets the most out of these players.  All of them were fine ensemble players, but only Bert, Leggio, and Castellano were really exceptional improvisers."

21 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

THE JOHN GLASEL BRASSTET]: John Glasel (tp), Lou Mucci (tp), Jim Buffington (frh), Dick Cary (alto horn), Bill Elton (tb, vtb), Harvey Phillips (tuba), John Drew (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d). Recorded in New York City, 1959.

Most arrangements by Cary; there's an early version of Carisi's "Angkor Wat."

My friend Bill Kirchner writes of the Westchester Workshop material: "Without having heard this album but having played Vinnie’s charts some 30 years ago, I’m sure that his writing gets the most out of these players.  All of them were fine ensemble players, but only Bert, Leggio, and Castellano were really exceptional improvisers."

I think Glasel used Garcia on a quartet LP' obviously not this one.

• 3 years later...

Vinnie has an excellent new CD out -- "For the Record" Vinnie Riccitelli Octet. Bill Kirchner, knowing how much I like the Westchester Jazz Workshop album, suggested that  Vinnie send me a copy of the new one. All writing is by him, except one arrangement by Tommy Newsom. Trumpeter Glenn Drewes is the only member of the band that many people would know, but there is a very good tenor soloist, Joe Stelluti, The writing, from the '60s and '70s, is more conservative than on the Westchester album but quite distinctive, and the performances are lovely. I think the only way to obtain the CD is from Riccitelli himself. I'll try to find out.

Talked to Vinnie; he's at 914-968-9752 in Yonkers. He doesn't have access to more copies of the album but said, after I told him there'd probably be interest here, that I have permission to burn copies for those who would want one. I'll entertain requests within reason but don't want to turn myself into CD factory.