Looking for "HIP" Haydn string quartets recommendations

J.A.W.

Turns out I do have one of the Salomon String Quartet Haydn discs - hadn't listened to it in decades .... I'm am positively surprised, it is much better than I had remembered. Simon Standage and his companions do produce a lightly silvery, warm sound, very clear, you can hear all four voices clearly, their rhythm is precise and to the point, they do not avoid vibrato, but it is audible only in the first violin, and applied with great taste. Recommended.

I listened to one of their Haydn discs (not the one you posted about) and found them a little "light" compared to the Quatuor Mosaïques, lacking a bit of "body". I found the latter more satisfying in that respect.

Listened to audio samples of the Salomon Quartet in several Haydn string quartets and I changed my mind; their playing is great: tight, transparent and indeed very tasteful. I think it can stand repeated listening.

Unfortunately, their Haydn CDs are out of print and only available as - more often expensive than cheap - used copies or as CD-Rs directly from Hyperion for prices that are too high for CD-Rs in my opinion, around £10 after discount. Pity.

Edited by J.A.W.