Most interesting/favorite 'Larry Young' album

Rooster_Ties

Most interesting/favorite 'Larry Young' album  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I'd go a slightly different route with this one, and include all of Larry's dates - not just those on BN.

I purposely left out "Unity" and "Into Somethin'", cuz we all know "Unity" would win, hands down -- and "Into Somethin'" would come in second (simply cuz those titles are the most widely available).

I've never heard any of LY's albums outside of his work on BN --- so perhaps I'll learn something from the comments in this thread, or from how people voted - if one or more non-BN titles get several votes.

It's much too late for me to type all the particulars about each album into the poll items, but here's a link to the AMG reviews - if that's of any help in voting:

AMG: Larry Young bio, and discography

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah, this is a nice idea for a poll. I also dug the Andrew Hill poll too. Thanks, Rooster Ties!

I went with Contrasts, too. I really like most of his music, but I just haven't gotten into Mother Ship as much as everyone else.

Unity would have killed the competition in my opinion. Great album!

:rsmile:

I purposely left out "Unity" and "Somethin' Else", cuz we all know "Unity" would win, hands down -- and "Somethin' Else" would come in second.

You also left out "Into somethin'" :P

Nice idea for a poll!

Oops, "Somethin' Else" is a Sun Ra album, I meant "Into Somethin'". Good thing I left it out!!!

I'll edit my original message up above, to cover my tracks...

I'm surprised that "Of Love and Peace" hasn't gotten a vote or two. It's a very close second for me, behind "Mother Ship" (which is my favorite).

Then I rank "Contrasts" a close third.

"Heaven on Earth" is OK, nothing really wrong with it - but it doesn't get me all fired up like the other three.

Of Love and Peace gets my vote, just before Contrasts. I think Mother Ship's rep is exaggerated by those who've never heard it. Nothing really wrong with it, just overpraised IMHO. It would'a been a whole lot better with a tenor added - like Tyrone. One other factor is, I'm not a big fan of Eddie Gladden. I don't care if he is from Newark.