How we've changed re. Mosaic

As for the big ones, I endorse them doing more older jazz ... and - just thinking out loud: might that be a reason for changed perception? Since all the "cult" Blue Note material has come and gone and they're onto different things now, they don't have that magical BN aura around them any more much ...

I agree, Mosaic's strength now is in older jazz, even a Fire House Five box set wouldn't go a miss in my considered opinion.

The 50s Hank Mobley set has been around for seemingly ages....too many sources for BN re-editions these days, not so the complete H.R.S. Sessions, which is a lovely set that you ain't going to compile anywhere else easily.

It's the older stuff that still holds a mystique with me as regards Mosaic.

(must be a world-wide mafia of 78rpm collectors meeting up in secret once in a while :lol: ).

With their HQ in Glasgow :D

MG

er.... you mean Edinburgh

I thought it was Glasgow where you score all your 78s.

MG

This is the place in my home town - Edinburgh

8678138849_b12850328f.jpg

Smart-looking place!

MG

Well locked-up too! Are 78's that valuable?

There was a time when I wanted to get each set, but now ... not enough money, too little time for listening, and the shelves are filled. I abandoned my completist attitude except for a small handful of artists. I will get some more sets, probably when they start running low, the Jamal, the Turrentine, the two Ellingtons ... the Tyner and Hutcherson Selects. Maybe Chu Berry, I dunno. I saw some of them go and found I can live without them. But I am extreme grateful for their work, that's beyond question.

I wish they'd think outside the box a little bit more. I would like to see more avant-jazz material from the 1970s and later, personally. The reissues of big bands from the 1930s and 1940s get old for me really quickly.

Agreed. I jumped at the opportunity to get the Sam Rivers Rivbea set.

Edited by Deepak

I wish they'd think outside the box a little bit more. I would like to see more avant-jazz material from the 1970s and later, personally. The reissues of big bands from the 1930s and 1940s get old for me really quickly.

Agreed. I jumped at the opportunity to get the Sam Rivers Rivbea set.

Me too, re: the Sam Rivers Select. His Florida big band was amazing (does it continue as a ghost band? -- anybody know?? -- it should!)

More 70's stuff, definitely -- even 80's. If the material merits it, of course.